The Great Photobucket Screw-up Of 2017

Chel

If you haven't noticed recently, Photobucket's updated it's terms of service. Photobucket was the most common website for embedding images in forums. You would make an account, upload a picture, and embed the image in your forum post or blog or whatever. That was it's strong point for 14 years (after being created in 2003). 10 billion images have been embedded in sites, with the people using photobucket to do it. Now, they've asked us to pay $40 a month, or $400 a year to embed our images. Those 10 billion images have been replaced by an image of 'Photobucket's terms have changed. Please upgrade your account to allow third party hosting'. eBay, Amazon, and other sites have been affected by this, and it seems stupid to do it when they are competing with Imgur, Flickr, and Google Photos for popularity and profit. So, what's your thoughts on this? Are they committing corporate suicide? Are they holding people to ransom? What do you think? (My images got affected, the ones of a B9 passenger jet)

41 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Are they holding people to ransom?

Can you not upload the images to another site?

(It depends on whether the hassle of doing so is worth the $40/month, I guess)

Most of my images posted on this forum were from $#@!$#@! photobucket. I changed recent posts to imgur, but many of my old posts are not broken.

I understand that they need to make money, and 3d party hosting wasn't doing it, but they should have done a paid service going forward, instead of trashing legacy links---it just makes so many forums suddenly look ugly.

29 minutes ago, razark said:

Can you not upload the images to another site?

What other sites. What other sites can I embed the images in. Photobucket's used for embedding images in posts. Other sites only allow you to upload images to them, and copy the links to the images, not actually show the images in your post.

11 minutes ago, tater said:

$#@!$#@!

is that the swear filter?

I'm pretty sure I've managed to imbed images without photobucket...

GqzXQ5h.jpg

18 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

What other sites. What other sites can I embed the images in. Photobucket's used for embedding images in posts. Other sites only allow you to upload images to them, and copy the links to the images, not actually show the images in your post.

If I recall correctly, the forum can automatically display the links as images...

Heck, I've just found the direct links of images and put them into the post and it became an image... although that doesn't always work.

Edited by Bill Phil

43 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

What other sites. What other sites can I embed the images in.

Any of them?

wTGwFhP.jpg

Or anywhere?

Hpage1_DesignConstruction_1447347270496.

If it's on the internet, it can pretty much be posted here in a post.

20170327_ADM_1600daily_web_hp-feature.pn

Edited by razark

32 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

If I recall correctly, the forum can automatically display the links as images...

And how do you do that?

TEST IMAGE, TELL ME IF YOU CAN SEE IT!

Follow-Your-Dreams-unicorns-18114191-612

ANOTHER TEST IMAGE, TELL ME IF YOU CAN SEE IT!

RsCgB47hewOXfFHnQDgY5JgCuVEkX-ici-gjqfXbchZxNNvR82ibfEO201lV1hliJMaB3dUrxxdCPq3aT3Z0rMrZgqsVGOYWF5j2eTQk2uCqCy9F7eLUY1WZJImP_PqOQ7KaKRO6pWH7MOVyXZ5IfGx-u8frhI7wMFoCgFMFZbQV6kMre1n9FBxDUOYGwMZlaV9Sw7ixsUyNwFS9p9EdK8_nBIGkQpIZPlhjzRwyVr5EqT8iFaBpxIRR6AokOxcLaBdoj3p7b8Mwbd6pE58HYku-uYZ5k45ueN6bRQ2ZFU6u61ztqMyK8I8oc2NMzqbgxk3KRM9cnrJiajvvcMKt6rJ0VCjMudKPfVo0Z48Cc_E_Nwdg4YeSsbBacxP8Rkl0yyYYUpIrE39xL-8LW9zv6tF3Z_rhbXvdNhHtJfN9IM4CwWl3hLL8T5oOi6-Sf7afDzQakXUK-gJMMpq6ykU2uhAZNMf3huUiLwHR41zLF6ccpYrL_sAs0WVe34YIl2iE0cr0U4jCkjbXCrwaZmesK66h7W9vsJ5I5KMi-Mo6o8v763zh85nit7_hEPsm0ItWRBat_mLHdLcAVPjIPQ_3vRIwrVL3DT6ySkgWjtu2AUm2YTTo3RUGyjq6=w1198-h673-no

10 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

So, what's your thoughts on this? Are they committing corporate suicide? Are they holding people to ransom? What do you think? (My images got affected, the ones of a B9 passenger jet)

Sounds to me like photobucket are running out of money.

On 7/17/2017 at 8:21 AM, tater said:

Technically you're not supposed to direct embed from imgur, as I understand it (according to them, not the forum).

I click the photo in Imgur, then right click it and select "Copy Image Adress. Then I Ctrl+V into the post.

boiyCyl.png

from "The Orange Wasteland".

P.S. The 2nd test image is like my example.

The first one is fine.

@Stevie_D was affected by this a lot as well. Pretty much all the pictures for his superluminal mod were ruined. 

Edited by DeltaDizzy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.