My dog was run over by a car

munlander1

He is ok-ish. He slipped out of the door and started chasing a car then got hit. He has been caring it around and has some minor scrapes that has scabed over. Taking him to vet today (1:28 right now). Think there may be a break or fracture, but the vet will find that out.

Will update when i get the info. But for now, here's a picture I took a few months ago. Something being finicky, Here is picture.

Lucky it was not worse. When I was a kid my dog (golden retriever and irish setter mutt) ran out of the woods to chase a van, and got hit. She needed a load of stiches. 

That's the problem with chasing cars, they don't know what to do when they catch one.

Edited by tater

Hope everything turns out okay. Cute dog.

One of our dogs got hit by a truck when I was a teenager. Funny story, in hindsight. We had a fenced yard to keep the dog in, but on this particular day a friend of my dad's had come over to drop off some stuff, and he had backed his truck into the driveway, so the gate for the driveway was open. Well the dog snuck around the truck when we weren't looking and got out of the yard. He got out into the street and this big 4x4 pickup came roaring up the street and ran right over him. We heard the thump and the yelp and ran out and got him. He was messed up pretty bad, broken rib, collapsed lung, dislocated hip. But we got him to the vet and got him patched up and he was okay. But there were two lingering effects:

1. That dog would not voluntarily leave the yard ever again. We could leave the gate wide open and walk away, and he would just stand there and peek out. Like the second he set foot out there again that truck was going to come out of nowhere and get him. If we were taking him somewhere, like the vet or something, we had to pick him up and carry him out of the yard.

2. His right rear leg was trussed up and immobilized for three weeks because of the dislocation. For the rest of his life, whenever he got in trouble (and, let me tell you, that dog was trouble) as he was skulking away he would pull up his right rear leg and limp on it, like it was trussed up again. Sympathy hound.

18 hours ago, munlander1 said:

He is ok-ish. He slipped out of the door and started chasing a car then got hit. He has been caring it around and has some minor scrapes that has scabed over. Taking him to vet today (1:28 right now). Think there may be a break or fracture, but the vet will find that out.

Will update when i get the info. But for now, here's a picture I took a few months ago. Something being finicky, Here is picture.

I'm glad he survived. He's quite lucky to be without incredibly terrible injuries, considering how small he is. Hope he recovers well!

Just to lighten the mood, I know someone whose boxer got loose and was hit by a pickup truck, but since the dog was so big it walked off with very minor injuries and actually left a dent in the front of the vehicle! It was ridiculous how durable that boxer was - you could hit it with a 2-ton truck and it'll go on like nothing even happened.

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I'm glad he survived. He's quite lucky to be without incredibly terrible injuries, considering how small he is. Hope he recovers well!

Just to lighten the mood, I know someone whose boxer got loose and was hit by a pickup truck, but since the dog was so big it walked off with very minor injuries and actually left a dent in the front of the vehicle! It was ridiculous how durable that boxer was - you could hit it with a 2-ton truck and it'll go on like nothing even happened.

Man, thats not a boxer anymore! strap a gun on that thing, and call it a tank!

9 hours ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

Spoiler?

It was a tuned dog?

On a serious note, glad your dog's OK, @munlander1. I've had dogs and cats my whole life, and it always feels so bad to seem them get hurt, or when their time comes. Here's to some more healthy dog-years!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.