Shikashi

Earth based Space Colonization Simulation

12 posts in this topic

Greetings, folks of Earth. I am speaking here from the HQ of international Aethernautiks.

Ok, I am joking, I am sitting next to my bed.
Anyways, I always thought : "Damn, Ants are pretty damn interesting".
Now, today, I managed to catch a mated Ant Queen, and put it into a small test tube set up so it can grow it's colony.

Maybe, by studying their behaviour, I can learn simple but effective strategies for conquering new planets and terraforming(Ants are vivid terraformers, they do a lot around their homes)

I will update on any major events!

2 people like this

Good luck with your ant colony!

I had three queens a few years back, but once the colonies reached the size where I had to think and plan their food source, I had no choice but to set them free in the garden.

I concluded that when my family members asked me "Are you seriously going to raise worms in the house????" they actually meant "You're not going to keep those things in the house!"

Maybe you raised wrong ants? :) My Messor structor colony is over 10 years old and still going strong. And i never had problems with feeding them - as mostly herbivorous species my ants eat various grains, sunflower seeds, nuts and occasionally couple of houseflies or a small piece of raw meat (pork - they don't like any poultry). If you have carnivorous ants as pets, nearest angler shop will readily provide fly larvae or those small red worms that i have no idea how they're called in english :D

1 person likes this

10 years, very nice! Post a picture of the habitat?

Mine were most likely L. Niger, although I've never had them checked by a professional.

Not very exotic, I know, but that's what lives around here and I wouldn't consider importing a non native species, or even bringing one from the seaside to mainland.

I'm still stuck in the Age of Nokia :D But as soon as i have something less potato-like to take photos with, i'll try to show off my little friends.

On ‎17‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 10:24 PM, Scotius said:

Maybe you raised wrong ants? :) My Messor structor colony is over 10 years old and still going strong. And i never had problems with feeding them - as mostly herbivorous species my ants eat various grains, sunflower seeds, nuts and occasionally couple of houseflies or a small piece of raw meat (pork - they don't like any poultry). If you have carnivorous ants as pets, nearest angler shop will readily provide fly larvae or those small red worms that i have no idea how they're called in english :D

Mine are some species that I don't know. But they are damn common over here in Austria, especially in the forests where their buildings sometimes grow up to two meters in height and a few meters width at the base. I think they are omnivorous, but I can try.

Sounds like you have a Formica species.

1200px-Formica_rufa_a1.jpg

Looks similiar? They are not good for home keeping, because of their high mobility, agressiveness, keen senses and trigger - happy attitude. At the slightest provocation Formicas spray formic acid everywhere - which may lead to entire colony gassing itself to death. Better return them to the forest - you will have a lot of trouble keeping them at home. And there are many simpler and easier ants to keep as pets in Central and West Europe.

No, it does look similar, but they haven't got the yellowish section.
They are completely dark brown, and so far have proven docile(though I yet have to see any offspring, not just the queens(yes, another one landed in my room yesterday))
They don't just live in the forest, here in Austria, they live everywhere.

If my camera weren't so damn bad, I'd take a picture.

Edited by Shikashi

formica-fusca_1.jpg?itok=6usUtjrA

This one? It's Formica fusca. A relative of F. rufa. Indeed, this one is much better suited for keeping in artificial nest. Do you have wingless queen in your colony? If not, you will not get any brood.

Yes, the picture you attached very closely resembles my ant. Yes, she already had torn of her wings when I found her, and has proven docile so far. Can you tell me: fully claustral or not?

Thanks in advance!

Fully. She will dig small nest in the soil, seal herself inside - and raise her first brood without going outside once. But you can speed things up a bit by carefully gathering some pupae from a wild nest, and giving them to your queen. With a bit of luck she will adopt them, which will give your colony a nice kickstart :)

Great! Is it bad that I gave her a toothpick of honey? I mean, honey still is disinfecting, so it should keep mold at bay, right?