Earth based Space Colonization Simulation

Shikashi

• 2 weeks later...

One queen won't help much with housefly problem LOL I'm not even sure she'll eat the one you gave her (maybe except licking the honey). Cloistered queens do not go out and hunt - you'd need a Manica rubida queen for example. Those ants are good hunters and are not afraid to leave nest and catch a dinner for herself and her larvae.

That's... unusual. Most modern houses with central heating, double windows etc. is simply too dry for ants. I have to quickly catch any escapee from my antfarm - otherwise she'll be dead in couple of hours. Maybe they are infiltrating your house from the garden?

Well I actually had an ant colony inside a large houseplant pot inside my house at one time. The colony just grew there. Apparently a sneaky queen must have decided to nest there without me noticing. Well not until there where dozens of ants running around the kitchen and piles of dirt next to the houseplant.  

18 hours ago, ChainiaC said:

Well I actually had an ant colony inside a large houseplant pot inside my house at one time. The colony just grew there. Apparently a sneaky queen must have decided to nest there without me noticing. Well not until there where dozens of ants running around the kitchen and piles of dirt next to the houseplant.  

Watch it! They may be spies!

My own ants decided to do a small excursion yesterday :) I placed a fresh pistachio nut near their aquarium to feed them later - and a couple of industrious workers somehow caught the smell of it. They didn't wait for me to provide food. I found them disassembling the nut, and carrying carved scraps up the glass, and back to the nest. Clever girls :D It is unusual, because my Messors do not like climbing, and very rarely leave the aquarium, even when it's not covered. Apparently the nut was irresistible though. Now it's in the feeding area, and my ants can eat it without the risk of getting lost or being crushed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12 August 2017 at 8:58 PM, Scotius said:

That's... unusual. Most modern houses with central heating, double windows etc. is simply too dry for ants. I have to quickly catch any escapee from my antfarm - otherwise she'll be dead in couple of hours. Maybe they are infiltrating your house from the garden?

Well, they rarely scuttle around on the floor in plain sight, but they are somewhere around the walls...

I do live in a tropical region of the planet, could be a reason. I don't actually have a garden in my house, but I do know that there is dirt below the tiles (which is  what my porch is made of).

5 hours ago, Shikashi said:

Hey,  @Scotius, do you think formica fusca like algae? I happen to also grow algae to combat mold in my hydroponic farms.

I don't think so. F. fusca are not herbivores. They catch insects to provide proteins and fats for the queen and brood. Workers live mostly on sugars from fallen ripe fruits and honeydew produced by aphids. Algae probably will be ignored or treated like trash. If you want to spoil your ants a little, give them a small piece of a ripe apple :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.