Put the Save shortcut ANYWHERE other than by Alt-F4.

Putting the keyboard shortcut for saving after a difficult maneuver right next to the windows default shortcut for 'exit without giving the program time to update the savefile' seems like something that deserves a bit more thought?

On 7/18/2017 at 0:07 AM, Alshain said:

F5 is a universal standard quicksave key.  Most keyboards have a large gap between F4 and F5 anyway.

Not on laptops.  Or a bunch of smaller keyboards I've owned.  But most 'full sized' keyboards, this is true. 

Just pay attention to what you're doing....

That said, when they first came out with the 'windows' key, I wasn't used to having an extra key there, so I had to paint it bright red to quit hitting it and windowing out of whatever I was doing.  And back in that day, it usually meant your game was crashed. 

I gotta say after thousands of hours playing I've never accidentally alt-F4ed myself, but I can see how even one time would be rage inducing. I've certainly played games with customizable quicksave/load keys, is there any reason we couldn't have options for that in KSP? Maybe we already do? I've honestly never looked.

Just make sure not to be holding Alt when you try to save?

Also KSP by default should save your persistent.sfs file when you hit Alt+F4, so since you were attempting to save anyway it should usually be no big deal. I can imagine it'd be a nightmare if they had the quickload key there instead... o_O

Well, I hold alt to make a named save occasionally.   It's only happened twice.  But still.  It could have been anywhere else.   Or...  they could have NOT used alt as the modifier for named saves! 

And yes it's totally rebindable.  I'd done so after the first time it happened, but when it happened again the other day I had to make a snarky forum post to work out my minute bit of rage.   

It did NOT save to persistent.sfs in that instance though...  so the cool thing I was sure I could only pull off once was lost and sure enough... I could only pull it off once.  Whatever it was. :P

I watch twitch sometimes, I thought I was being helpful when I told him all about "oh yeah, you can make a custom quicksave by pressing ALT+F5..."  Sure enough he pressed ALT+F4.  I think its just programmed into peoples muscle memory.:confused:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.