Everything falls apart when it touches terrain!

iamwearingpants

I'm trying to land my rocket with some modded landing gear (basically an empty fuel tank with a high crash resistance and a connection strength of 4e35 :P) The problem is, that even when I land at 20 m/s my gear comes off and I explode!

Strangely, the area around the pad and VAB is safe to land on and even take off from! :(

How do I get gear to work? And why does the terrain break my rocket no matter what?

20 m/s is above the current 'safe' threshold of 15 m/s for the connection strength at the moment.

Land slower :P

EDIT: I guess there are settings available for configuring the connections, that haven't been used at all yet, so are only noted on the wiki, or something? No clue if they even work, if so, but...

EDIT2: So there are.

breakingForce - How much will the attachment between this part and the part it's connected to resist to linear forces?

breakingTorque - How much will the attachment resist rotational forces?

Still no idea if they actually function as intended at current, but...

I've tested this very thoroughly. It doesn't seem to matter what values I've used all the way up to the maximum number for an integer. If you try to land outside of the green patch around the flight area, you can expect to die horribly. It would appear that a completely different type of terrain is being used outside the landing area, and I suspect that is the reason. If anyone finds a solution to this please let me know, so I can fix the landing gear in my mod.

0.10 should fix that, courtesy of the new terrain engine.

Even though it is a bug, it's not exactly necessary to report it, because the problem mechanic is already being totally rewritten :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.