System Requirments

Hello, I just need some help on what computer specs we need to run KSP.  Our computer is pretty old and needs updgraded (it will not currently run KSP).  I have found conflicting info on whether we need something with Core 2, or Core i3, and now one page says the computer needs to be Core i5 to run KSP.

I was generally looking at a laptop replacement, and don't need anything major or huge, but would like it to be able to run KSP.  We bought it but cannot do anything right now.

I have contacted support three times and am not getting any responses to my emails for some guidance, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well, the listed specs that it sounds like you have found (like those on the Steam KSP page) are the minimum and recommended specs according to Squad. I can't recall if they've been updated at all over the course of development, but the minimum listed should be capable of running the game, but perhaps requiring lower settings and with lower framerate as compared to a more powerful system.

KSP's performance is almost entirely tied to the CPU, as opposed to many games where the graphics card becomes the main performance bottleneck. So if you're only planning on playing KSP, the processor is pretty much the most important component to consider. My understanding is that the graphics capabilities of the last few generations of Core i3,5,7 series processors are usually adequate to run KSP without the need of a dedicated graphics card, but it may require reduced graphics settings. For many users, the second most important component to consider is amount of RAM, as this can affect mod use and general performance if the amount is too low. After making sure those two components are adequate, the next thing to consider might be a dedicated graphics card. If you have some desire now, or in the future, to play other games besides KSP, you will probably be wanting a dedicated card at some point.

If you're buying a laptop you won't really be able to upgrade/add parts later (aside from RAM), so it's a good idea to buy for what you want now and what you think you'll want between now and when you're ready to upgrade again. If you're buying a desktop, upgrading parts is not terribly difficult so you can always add a graphics card or more RAM -- or possibly even a CPU upgrade -- at a later time. The install process is likely easier than you think and there are a lot of good resources available online to assist part picking and installation.

If you have a price point in mind for how much you want to spend and an idea of how you'll be using the computer besides KSP (and any bells and whistles you might want), I'm sure we can get a some ideas together on what to look for.

For a good experience I would recommend a minimum i5 with at least 8GB of RAM and a decent video card to handle the terrain. Using onboard video like the Intel series is just asking for performance issues when near terrain (I played for several years on Intel video).

I am currently running an Alienware 15 R2 with an i5, 16GB, and an NVidia 965 mobile and I have a full RSS/RO/RP-0/RSSVE install with a decent chunk of RSS Expanded (the Principia approved bodies), and even with Principia installed the game runs quite well, all things considered. Bone stock install is smooth as butter. Screenshots from that machine in the links below if you want to see what KSP can look like. Bottom line, buy the best thing you can within your budget, even for something with crappy graphics like KSP.

Well, regex hit the nail. I do have an i5-4690 (3.5GHz), 16Gb RAM but integrated graphics. The game runs, is stable and never ran out of allocated memory. Big vessels are no problem, as long as they are in interplanetary space - the frame rates are acceptable, even for 400+ part assemblies. Once you get close to terrain, the frame rate drops all the way down to something between slide show and unplayable, depending on the planet to be rendered.

I guess it really depends on how much slow mo physics you can tolerate.  I'm running an i3 with 8gb and some dinky intel on board graphics.  And yup, KSP starts to go derpingly slow when part counts push 150 or so. 

At the very least, you'll want a 64 bit processor to run it, just so you don't run out of RAM.  And it's not that you can't keep KSP comfortably under 4gb of RAM usage, that's easy to do.  It's just that you might only have 2-2.5gb free out of your 4gb total, and with the right mods, that will get eaten up quickly. 

I am running KSP on a AMD A8-8600P Radeon R6 at 1.60 GHz with turbo up to 3.0GHz with 8 gigs of RAM. I can get the fans spinning, but I don't drop frames all that often. The game is playable.

I am thinking a cheap desktop that could work with KSP is the Lenovo Desktop PC 510A-15IKL 90GV0002US Pentium G4560. You can get it for about $300. The reason I mention this instead of a personal build, is you get Windows 10 included (Windows 10 personal costs $119.99)..

It has the Intel HD Graphics 610, which is not great, but is better than what I have now. On the plus side, the 7th generation Intel Pentium G4560 is a decent two core CPU for gaming, and is cheaper than a comparable i3-7100. Since KSP is CPU intensive and mainly using just one core, the 3.5 GHz would work pretty darn well I think - at least for a $300 computer. But it is not very up gradable, limited by the 180 watt power supply. It has an open half-length, full-height, PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, but you would have to replace the power supply to use any more useful graphics card. And then of course you might run into heat issues...

But for $300, I am sure it would serve for people on a tight budget, and it is the only pre-built Intel G4560 box I can find.

I've been running KSP on a dinky old Lenovo W500 during weekends and vacation.

(It's not that I'm a technological masochist, I just don't lug my main gaming rig around).

Core2 Duo ([email protected]) 4G Ram and running on the discrete AMD RV635 gpu (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

It's playable with all graphics at minimum and not too monstrous designs (and with very few mods). But nothing I'd recommend for anything else than tinkering on rainy days (aka Swedish summer ...).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.