Copyright

Zharafields

Hey there.

I can't watch the video at the moment, so I'm not sure which of the songs you're talking about. However, take a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerbal_Space_Program

The majority of the game's music was provided by royalty-free composer Kevin MacLeod

Also, here:

Some of KSP's songs are indeed copyrighted (I think?), but most isn't KSP's songs' copyrights are very permissive, so this isn't breaking any of them :) (thanks @Chakat Firepaw for the correction)

Thanks for the concern, anyway. And welcome!

Edited by monstah

3 hours ago, monstah said:

Some of KSP's songs are indeed copyrighted (I think?), but most isn't :)

To be more accurate:  They are all copyrighted¹, (unless there is some a century or so old), it's just that they have very permissive licences.

1:  How to copyright something:  Either place it in a fixed form, (e.g. write it down, record it, save it to your hard drive, etc.), or perform it in front of someone.

if he were using the main theme (from the opening menu) or the one other track (which was it again?) which were written by HarvesteR, then I reckon he may actually care to know about it...

not that he'd have a big problem with it being used, I suspect - except if perhaps it was done without credit... but well I can't speak for my brother on that

those are the only two tracks in KSP which were composed specifically for it - the others were made by Kevin McLeod, as noted before, and those are royalty free in a way that allows them being used in various applications, as the OP has noticed

that's the thing with royalty free music, in the end... it's royalty free (often this requires a one-time purchase) for anyone who wants to use it - this is a very economical way of getting yourself a soundtrack, just don't be alarmed if you start hearing it in other places as well

Edited by Moach

2 hours ago, Moach said:

if he were using the main theme (from the opening menu) or the one other track (which was it again?) which were written by HarvesteR, then I reckon he may actually care to know about it...

From the readme.txt:

KSP Main Theme:
Written by Felipe Falanghe
Arranged by Víctor Machado

Stratejazz:
Written & arranged by Felipe Falanghe

Other Tracks:
Arcadia, Bathed in the Light, Brittle Rille,
Dreamy Flashback, Frost Waltz, Frost Waltz (Alternate),
Frozen Star, Groovy Grove, Impact Lento, Wizardtorium
Written by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licenced under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0

Personally I love Stratejazz, it's so perfectly odd for the setting that for me it becomes 100% Kerbal :)

1 minute ago, monstah said:

Seems to me all tracks are CC-BY then, even @HarvesteR's, since between his songs and the Connor Kevin MacLeod's ones, there's not a less permissive Copyright. Right?

It's questionable if it's supposed to apply to all three paragraphs (but insert standard: I'm not qualified to say).

I would assume that CC-BY is for Kevin McLeod's  tunes, while the other two would fall under the same clause as the rest of KSP.

Which in turn leads to the question if they're part of the IP that TT has bought ...
(Oh, talk about novelty ways to de-rail a thread, Solly ...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.