The Titanic 3

One of my favorite ways to go to the moon in Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space (and now the http://sourceforge.net/projects/raceintospace/) is EOR with the 'Titan with boosters.'

I love me some Titan rockets. Especially the Titan 3, which launched the Viking and Voyager space probes.

titan3c_6.jpg

This is my first stab using some mods to make a Titan 3-like booster, the Titanic 3 v. 1.0.

I'd eventually like to do a better Titan 3 clone... if anyone has ideas please let me know! For example I'd like to use bigger SRBs and proportion the stages better.

Anyhow, my v. 1.0 can get you past 45k with the first stage (well, second, if you count the SRBs as a stage). I burn about an eighth of a tank on the second (or third) stage to maximize altitude and then do the turn-over into the horizontal for orbit... more than enough delta v to get into a good orbit. The third (or fourth) stage is good for orbital changes as well as for the de-orbit burn.

If pointed straight up, burnout is at around 500k going around 3k m/s (using v. 0.9)

Mods used:

Moach's heat shield.

MTS Tuned automatic stabilizers (small blue)

Sunday Punch's parts pack.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.