'The Greatest Commodity' My new science fiction story on Wattpad.

daniel l.

It takes place a billion years from now in a future where most Humans have shed organic bodies in favor of Android or digital forms, and information is simply downloaded into the mind. But information must be learned first, and someone has to do the learning, knowledge is the great commodity. The story covers grand distances, intergalactic distances, all in the pursuit of more knowledge, more things to learn. I promise a bit of action and suspense too. :wink:

https://www.wattpad.com/story/116992642-the-greatest-commodity

A bit of scientific stuff, the story actually covers massive amounts of time, there is no FTL. And human society is immortal by this time, so interstellar and intergalactic travel is simply done at relativistic speeds*.

Also, just to clear things up. I chose to measure time in metric for the story. So every thing is scaled in seconds, kiloseconds, megaseconds, gigaseconds, and so on and so forth. Just use Wikipedia. :)

*Getting close to light speed can give the illusion of FTL, this is because time slows for the traveler, thus everything outside appears to go faster. In fact, if you go fast enough, you can cross from one galaxy to another within seconds. The rub is that when you cross a thousand light-years, you arrive a thousand years later. This is not an issue for a society of immortals.

28 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Chapter 3 is out! Check it out @Spaceception, I'd like your opinion.

Okay!

Chapter 1 was really interesting, and the premise is great! Is there a planned Climax of some sort? Or is it just the exploration of space by a... cyborg? I guess. Although, I can't find a converter between kiloseconds and gigaseconds :D

I'm curious, in chapter 2, is the 'Andromeda massacre' the merging of the Milky Way and Andromeda?  Also, Orphaned luna, did the Earth get destroyed or something?

Just finished chapter 3 :0.0: I hope it's continued in later chapters. Did they only travel a few thousand years into the future, or did they go further?

Overall, it's a really interesting read, how many chapters are you planning on?

Just now, Spaceception said:

Okay!

Chapter 1 was really interesting, and the premise is great! Is there a planned Climax of some sort? Or is it just the exploration of space by a... cyborg? I guess. Although, I can't find a converter between kiloseconds and gigaseconds :D

I'm curious, in chapter 2, is the 'Andromeda massacre' the merging of the Milky Way and Andromeda?  Also, Orphaned luna, did the Earth get destroyed or something?

Just finished chapter 3 :0.0: I hope it's continued in later chapters. Did they only travel a few thousand years into the future, or did they go further?

The 'Andromeda Massacre' and the Luna being orphaned are things I hope to explain in later chapters, chapter 4 will be entirely dedicated to the story of the Aquila, and how it got to this planet in the Small Magellanic Cloud. :)

Just now, daniel l. said:

The 'Andromeda Massacre' and the Luna being orphaned are things I hope to explain in later chapters, chapter 4 will be entirely dedicated to the story of the Aquila, and how it got to this planet in the Small Magellanic Cloud. :)

Eeeeek! I can't wait.

Also, outta likes.. sooooo...

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

Eeeeek! I can't wait.

Also, outta likes.. sooooo...

I'm just starting to write #4 now. :) I'm going to label it 'The Excelsior Eagle'

It's going to cover the first half of the Aquila's journey beyond our galaxy.

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

Sorry I didn't get to this part. Yes, there is a planned climax. :) And a gigasecond is a million kiloseconds, and a kilosecond is a thousand seconds. It's simple metric. :wink:

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

About ten. Each varying from 900-1.5k words. Though the final two chapters might number as much as 3k each. :D

I just finished chapter 4 (I will likely edit this to include chapter 5) and I like it! The only complaint I have, is that he seems to get past it too quickly, or switch between being angry, and just about calm. Maybe he could recover more in the 5th chapter instead, and keep it more consistent on the 4th, like clearly angry, but battling to stay calm :)

Just finished chapter 5, and that took a turn... Will Xf39b figure out what happened? Or will its fate be discovered later?

Edited by Spaceception

4 hours ago, Spaceception said:

I just finished chapter 4 (I will likely edit this to include chapter 5) and I like it! The only complaint I have, is that he seems to get past it too quickly, or switch between being angry, and just about calm. Maybe he could recover more in the 5th chapter instead, and keep it more consistent on the 4th, like clearly angry, but battling to stay calm :)

I guess that's an error. Though I think that those are only upper emotions, stemming from his feelings of grief and loss. I might make an adjustment perhaps though. :)

4 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Just finished chapter 5, and that took a turn... Will Xf39b figure out what happened? Or will its fate be discovered later?

He already knows, he was reviewing data from the 'Black Box' of the ship. But he doesn't know what happened after the tertiary computer cut out. :wink:

1 hour ago, daniel l. said:

He already knows, he was reviewing data from the 'Black Box' of the ship. But he doesn't know what happened after the tertiary computer cut out. :wink:

That's what I was talking about :)

I mean, obviously, he dies. But...

4 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

That's what I was talking about :)

I mean, obviously, he dies. But...

Actually, Captain Nevil survived. But if you mean the time separation of a billion years, then yes, he's probably dead by Xf39b's time.

Do you want a little hint/spoiler? @Spaceception

Edited by daniel l.

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

The chapters are really good, I'm wondering how it will end :D

Soon to be seen. :wink:

Only two more chapters to go. I'm considering making the last two twice as long.

Anything that interests you particularly, btw?

2 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Soon to be seen. :wink:

Only two more chapters to go. I'm considering making the last two twice as long.

Anything that interests you particularly, btw?

The gravitics mainly, what's your full explanation for them? Did you base on any real life technology? 

Just now, Spaceception said:

The gravitics mainly, what's your full explanation for them? Did you base on any real life technology? 

Not really. It's a science that was underestimated in the storyline. But Captain Nevil gradually uncovers its true nature. All the anomalies that Xf39b has encountered so far, are because of Captain Nevil and Gravitics.

But I don't think there is anything to it in reality. Though to give you a hint:

Spoiler

The Universe is like a computer program. Gravitics is basically the practice of cheating or using hacks. Though its first discovered purpose was that of propulsion method, there is far more to it. As Part-7 suggests, you could change the coordinates of a set of particles (AKA, an object.) and instantly it would be transported.

ngbbs4cdcac86e51b1.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.