Airplane Burnout?

Hi, so lately I have been interested in building planes. I’ve made a few, but most of them burnout on the runway shortly after launch. I’ve tried lowering engine power, turning SAS off, spacing the landing gear at the back further apart, but nothing is working. Please help.

1. Right click the flamed out engine. Sometimes the flameout reason is written in that window.

1. Don't you forget the air intakes?

2. What mods do you use?

Edited by Ser

Welcome to the forums! I think this should be in gameplay questions, not suggestions. Anyway, there are a few causes for this, but I'll first tell you how to get an idea of the problem. If you right click on the engine while you attempt to launch, the menu will tell you thrust, status and other things. Status is the important one, when it's running it should say "nominal", but when it flames out it should say something "flameout: Liquid fuel or intake air deprived". (one or the other) So you can easily tell what problem you're facing. There are a few causes for burnout:

1. Either your plane has very little fuel, or your plane has enough fuel but most of it is unusable because of fuel routing. You can check this by clicking the gear in the bottom left in the SPH, then scrolling down and looking at the problems section. If you see a problem like "unused liquid fuel resources" or "consumer not receiving liquid fuel" then you've got a fuel problem. The easiest way to fix this is to put a fuel line between the engines and fuel tanks until you see the problem disappear.

2. Your plane has just enough air intakes to get of the ground, but not enough too fly normally. This is pretty unlikely. Or you might have accidentally bound "close intake" to an action group that you're pressing during launch, but this is also pretty unlikely.

Pics of your plane right clicking on the engine before and after flameout would be immensely useful. Hope this helps! :) 

Sorry you had to type all of that I feel really bad. But I didn’t phrase the sentence correctly. What I meant was that my plane spins out of control on the runway. And sorry about the improper section I posted this in, its just that, I’m new to these forums so I don’t know how things work around here. Once again, I am so sorry that you had to type all of that, but thanks for the info!

Try increasing the friction of the rear wheels which should stop the aircraft spinning around on the runway. If you right click on the wheel the box that comes up will have a button that says "Friction Control: Auto". Click that, after which a slider will come up, and adjust the slider to have more friction.

1 hour ago, CaptainTrebor said:

Try increasing the friction of the rear wheels which should stop the aircraft spinning around on the runway. If you right click on the wheel the box that comes up will have a button that says "Friction Control: Auto". Click that, after which a slider will come up, and adjust the slider to have more friction.

Thank you so much! 

<whimpers> It's... fine... :D Spinning out on the runway is a bit trickier to fix. Assuming your Center Of Lift is behind your Center Of Mass and your Center Of Thrust is inline with your Center of Mass, (you can toggle all of these with the three small buttons above the Symmetry button) It's probably something to do with the gear. I would take @CaptainTrebor's advice above, and disable the steering on the rear wheels. A craft file would be very useful. (You can find that in: Your KSP folder>Saves>Your Save>Ships>SPH>Whatever the craft is called, and you could upload with your file sharing program of choice) 

8 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

<whimpers> It's... fine... :D Spinning out on the runway is a bit trickier to fix. Assuming your Center Of Lift is behind your Center Of Mass and your Center Of Thrust is inline with your Center of Mass, (you can toggle all of these with the three small buttons above the Symmetry button) It's probably something to do with the gear. I would take @CaptainTrebor's advice above, and disable the steering on the rear wheels. A craft file would be very useful. (You can find that in: Your KSP folder>Saves>Your Save>Ships>SPH>Whatever the craft is called, and you could upload with your file sharing program of choice) 

Ok I’ll be sure to do that tommorow. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. 

Ps: My plane is pretty bad

4 hours ago, ImGr8M8 said:

Sorry you had to type all of that I feel really bad. But I didn’t phrase the sentence correctly. What I meant was that my plane spins out of control on the runway. And sorry about the improper section I posted this in, its just that, I’m new to these forums so I don’t know how things work around here. Once again, I am so sorry that you had to type all of that, but thanks for the info!

Some of the mach intakes can fail to pull in air at runway speeds which will cause them to burn out unless you have quite a few of them on or can simply start the plane on fewer engines.  The Ramp Intake is notorious for it.  Make sure you are using the right intakes for the right job.  If these are your first planes, you probably shouldn't be build mach planes just yet so stick to the intakes that are rated for subsonic.

2 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I might be wrong, but dosen't that only work if the file is on your computer? I tried it and it didnt work.

Hmmm... are you sure your highlighting it all the way? Are you clicking copy and then pasting it into the search bar? 

Oh Btw, that’s the only way I know how to share ship files ( cuz I haven’t done it before )

8 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I'm pasting it into the computer search bar, is that right? I would reccomend Dropbox if you really want to share the craft file. Pictures would probably be fine, which are a lot simpler to do.

Yeah you paste it into the search bar. And also, how do I share pictures on a iOS phone?

That's not how you share a file. You have to upload it to a website like dropbox and paste the link here. The way you did it was giving the location of the file on your computer, but we don't have access to that so we can't view the file. 

Also just leave it as a .craft file.

As for pictures, you should be able to upload to imgur from an iphone/ipad. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.