Spacecraft names

stanNL_97

The Culture novels by Iain M. Banks are full of interesting and amusing names for vessels. My favourite is "I said I've got a big stick" - which is a joke on the saying "Speak softly, and carry a big stick" by President Theodore Roosvelt.

So far its been rather boring names, with basic "what does it do" - "mk x" ... With the three noticable ones "Lun Lander mk8", "Lun Lander XL-5" and "NS1". Where the latter one is a sliiiight Star Trek refrence, Near Space 1, its a "Space station" with about 3 or 4 full size 1m tanks in radius, I'll post a screenshot of it. Its at a roughly 150-160km orbit around Kerbin :)

558275_10151337594343574_291968275_n.jpg

I normally name my manned missions after some sort of mythical being, with each iteration being given a "Mk. n" suffix, so, for example, my first three-kerbal mission to the Mun was the Colossus Mk. II (unfortunately Colossus Mk. I had to be aborted as there wouldnt have been enough fuel for a round trip).

My spaceplanes are normally named after birds. My first Mk. I cockpit spaceplane was the Swift Mk. I, the first Mk. II cockpit spaceplane wa the Swallow Mk. I and the first Mk. III cockpit spaceplane was the Albatross Mk. I.

My unmanned probes are normally given fairly normal, what you might call "first" or "christian" names. The first Munar lander probe was Marcus Mk. I, and the first Minmus lander probe was Misha Mk. I.

Anything that is a utility spacecraft is given a purely descriptive name. For example my kerbin orbiters are all jsut called "Kerbin Orbiter Mk. I" with their orbital inclination afterwards (0, 30, 60, 90, 120 and 150). My orbiters for the kerbins satellites are named a similar way (Minmus Orbiter Mk.I for example). My kerbosynchronous orbiter is just "kerbosynchronous orbiter".

I have a strict naming convention that can support around ~50'000 different crafts..

Gen-Number / Element From the Periodical Table of Elements / Tipe (Pod,Lander,Spacecraft,Airplane..) Mk (variation number)

Example:

Gen-III Helium Pod Mk-2

Edited by Atimed

I started with the USS Enterprise NCC-1700-A. This ship took me to space but could not reach low orbit. USS Enterprise NCC-1700-B did take me to a low orbit though. Im working on a ship with better payload and improving my orbiting and de-orbiting technique with the NCC-1700-C. The final ship I plan to use before venturing to celestial bodies is the NCC-1700-D which I will practice Hohmann transfers and attempt a geosynchronous orbit. Once im ready to explore the final frontier, the NCC-1700 series ship will be retired and the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A will take flight.

I do boring names. I have a system worked out that goes like this:

-

Designators: Indicate general class.

-

ST= Standard rockets

SS= Big rockets

SP= Extra-atmospheric spaceplanes

-

Modifiers: Letters added after the designation to indicate modification from the basic design.

-

Any letter counting up= Standard small design changes

M= Version designed for Mun or Mimmus landings

SS= Space station carrying version

Sat= Satellite carrying version

-

Example:

So if we had a our third big rocket design (SS-3), but we modified it twice (SS-3B) and we added some lander legs for going to the Mun we would get SS-3BM. May not be very fun, but it really helps once you have a ton of rockets.

I started with the USS Enterprise NCC-1700-A. This ship took me to space but could not reach low orbit. USS Enterprise NCC-1700-B did take me to a low orbit though. Im working on a ship with better payload and improving my orbiting and de-orbiting technique with the NCC-1700-C. The final ship I plan to use before venturing to celestial bodies is the NCC-1700-D which I will practice Hohmann transfers and attempt a geosynchronous orbit. Once im ready to explore the final frontier, the NCC-1700 series ship will be retired and the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A will take flight.

Enterprise gets dull after a while, try these

Aventine,Titan,Defiant,Voyager,Prometheus,Nova,Sovereign,Phoenix.

you can tell my favorite series cant you

ps sovereign has no space the forum put one there for no reason

Edited by royalkingofgames

I have sort of a system, but it's a little restrictive. :(

The names correspond to the type of craft, and the numerals are for different iterations of said craft.

Exploration Craft: Marathon I... Odyssey I...

Lifters: Atlas I... Hercules I... Zeus I...

Orbiters: Iris I... Concentria I...

Jets and Spaceplanes: Hermes I... Lightning I...

Etc.

I use the naming convention of [basic Model Name] [Mission][Generation][Designation]

Some of the base names I have so far used have been Titan, Templar, Unmanned (take a guess) and Korm as base names, with Korona, Shepard, Granite, I.N. Cubator, Omega and Oblivion all planned for future craft.

Mission is a simple one-letter code for what I was designing the craft for. M is my lander code, originally stood for Mun, but after I got to Minmus with Korm M1 I changed that. O is for a Kerbin Orbit and E is for something that achieves Kerbin Escape with no particular other use.

Generation doesn't kick in until the second generation when I put a 1 on the end, and increase from there with each generation being a design overhaul of a stage or layout change, and Designation is a letter code to separate simultaneous missions using the same ship.

For a time I flirted with naming a series Icarus, but after I had overheating problems I decided that it was perfect, retired it, and promptly lost the file.

I tend to change naming conventions after every update, for some reason.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.