[1.3.1] Aviation Lights v3.14 [use MOARdV's version instead!]

BigNose

@Drew Kerman Maybe double check that you downloaded/installed the actual release, and not the source.zip? the links are very close together on Github, and its very easy to grab the wrong .zip... IIRC, the source zip does not have the Plugin folder with the .dll in it... Just for gigles, I installed the source.zip into my test install, and I just get no right click or activity at all on the parts...(to be expected since the .dll is not there)... I then extracted the release package over it, and it now seems to work correctly... so I dont know...??

Edited by Stone Blue

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@Drew Kerman Maybe double check that you downloaded/installed the actual release, and not the source.zip? the links are very close together on Github, and its very easy to grab the wrong .zip... IIRC, the source zip does not have the Plugin folder with the .dll in it... Just for gigles, I installed the source.zip into my test install, and I just get no right click or activity at all on the parts...(to be expected since the .dll is not there)... I then extracted the release package over it, and it now seems to work correctly... so I dont know...??

I know I must be making a simple mistake somewhere but unfortunately that's not it. I have the release folders - AviationLights/Parts and /Plugins. Hopefully sleeping on it will help...

4 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I know I must be making a simple mistake somewhere but unfortunately that's not it. I have the release folders - AviationLights/Parts and /Plugins. Hopefully sleeping on it will help...

You have at least one mod that is triggering null reference exceptions in that log, which typically indicates that you have an outdated mod installed.  When a mod causes a null reference exception, it can have all sorts of bad side-effects.  You'll need to track down which plugin / DLL you're using that was not updated to 1.1.3.

5 hours ago, MOARdV said:

You have at least one mod that is triggering null reference exceptions in that log, which typically indicates that you have an outdated mod installed.  When a mod causes a null reference exception, it can have all sorts of bad side-effects.  You'll need to track down which plugin / DLL you're using that was not updated to 1.1.3.

Yes but I also said I tried it with all my mods removed except Toolbar, AviationLights and Squad and I tried it with just Squad in an unpacked fresh install of v1.1.3

Sleep has brought about no epiphanies. Will give it another look shortly...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I figured it out

So this is pretty funny. You guys would have been able to tell me straight away why I was thinking there was a problem if not for the fact that I cropped my screenshot and was using HangarExtender, which hid the VAB. So no doubt you all thought that screenshot was from a capsule sitting outside in flight on the ground. No. In fact it was in the VAB editor. And now after looking into things further I realize there are no right-click menu actions for AviationLights in the VAB editor. I never thought to check until today whether the action group assignments were working or bothered to go into flight mode to check if the right-click actions were not there.

*sigh*..... *bangs head on desk*

Edited by Drew Kerman

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Aviation Lights v3.10 is now available on GitHub.  This is a KSP1.2 compatibility update.  Enjoy!

I am having trouble with the updated lights in 1.2.   Everytme I click the lights ksp crashes to desktop.

3 minutes ago, Kokoro said:

I am having trouble with the updated lights in 1.2.   Everytme I click the lights ksp crashes to desktop.

unable to reproduce. I clicked them in the part menu, I clicked them on the root part, I clicked them with both mouse buttons...

Give exact steps to cause this issue

1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

unable to reproduce. I clicked them in the part menu, I clicked them on the root part, I clicked them with both mouse buttons...

Give exact steps to cause this issue

I did just overwrite the aviation lights folder with the update, maybe it would have been better to delete the old one first.  I will try that tomorrow, or when I wake up, it is late here.

Edited by Kokoro
adding words

That's a pretty cool crash.  Squad changed something about events under the hood, and the code that worked in 1.1.3 doesn't in 1.2.  I'll see what I can shake loose.  In the mean time, I'd recommend against trying to change lights in flight - use action groups, since I know they work (that's the way I use lights in my own games).

Okay.  Fixed.  On GitHub, version 3.11.

While I was at it, I change the names of the parts in the VAB so they're grouped together (eg, "Red Beaconlight" is now "Light, Beacon, Red").  I also converted the textures to DDS and scaled them down to 128 x 128.

If anyone *doesn't* want the resized textures or renamed configs, just download the release and pull the DLL out of it and drop that in GameData/AviationLights/Plugins.

Hmm, can i suggest something, did you ever considered having a single mesh with texture replacer module and ability to change light color from right click menu in vessel editor buildings? this wouldn't be such a bit performance material but IMO would add more flexibility to your mod regarding colors and textures

thanks

so I see the right click menu is removed in VAB/SPH can we please have it back?  I really would like to preconfigure the lights how I want them at launch, rather than have to run around and do it all after I launch.

Also can the on/off be separated from the flash modes again.   if I tie the light to the "lights" action group to turn it on and off it sets it to always " solid on", I want to be able to set the double flash in the SPH and then use the "lights" action group to turn it on and off, but I want it to turn on and off in double flash mode.  this is how these lights worked in the past, and I really miss this setup.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

1 hour ago, Bit Fiddler said:

Also can the on/off be separated from the flash modes again.   if I tie the light to the "lights" action group to turn it on and off it sets it to always " solid on", I want to be able to set the double flash in the SPH and then use the "lights" action group to turn it on and off, but I want it to turn on and off in double flash mode.  this is how these lights worked in the past, and I really miss this setup

Each of the action group options toggles the specified mode - so, if you want the Lights action group to toggle double flash mode, you'd add "Double Flash Toggle" to the Lights AG (that's how I've got my rocket launch site warnings rigged).  The "Light Toggle" action has always been intended to be "Toggle solid on / off", based on how it was written.

As for adding the right click back in to the VAB/SPH - yeah, I'll add that back in and get an update out "soon".

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Kerbster said:

@MOARdV I downloaded and installed this for 1.2, but for some reason I can only see the red beacon light in the utilities menu... any idea why? 

Welcome to the forum!

Without additional information - particularly, logs - I don't know why.  This forum post will guide you through locating the logs.

34 minutes ago, Kerbster said:

@MOARdV Thanks! I was looking for a lighting mod and this one looks the best! Anyways... here's the log. I'm not sure if you'll need more info, but I'll get it if you need it.

Its becuase you ended up with a /GameData/GameData/AviationLights/ folder, instead of ust /GameData/AviationLights/

All the parts .cfgs use the new mesh MODULE, EXCEPT the Red Beacon, which for some reason got missed, and still uses the old mesh = def.

Meaning the new model def is dependent on folder URL/structure.... the OLD mesh def is NOT...

From your log:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\GOG Games\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\GameData\AviationLights\Plugins\AviationLights.dll

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

AssemblyLoader: Loading assemblies

Non platform assembly: D:\GOG Games\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\GameData\AviationLights\Plugins\AviationLights.dll (this message is harmless)
VesselModules: Found VesselModule of type CommNetVessel with order 999

Edited by Stone Blue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.