Lag? Really?

Seret

I hear a lot of people moaning about lag while playing KSP, but TBH I've not encountered any. Granted, I don't use really mindbuggeringly big ships or go on especially long missions, but what lag are you folks actually seeing? The only annoying delay I notice in play is a couple of seconds on the pad before launch, but that's not really what I'd call lag. Lag is when you're getting a delay between inputs and what you see on the screen. Generally for me everything is slippery.

Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB RAM, and Nvidia 8500GT, so not exactly a beast.

For example, try launching this craft, or even just looking at it on the launch pad.

http://www./?lalg0b5hcuxsv1n

I believe there is an asymetry problem around stage 15 so you probably won't be able to fly it on an interplanetary trajectory or anything.

EDIT: I tried flying it again, and I believe the problem is that I don't have enough struts on some of the stages and it begins to oscillate more. Fixing that to bring your framerate down to 0.1 or lower will allow it to fly better.

Edited by Bluejayek

My game is smooth and all works well. UNLESS I look at kerbin... My computer seems to hate however kerbin terrain or atmosphere is done. The Mun is fine, Minmus is fine. But not kebin.

if I'm correct the problem is the ocean (to be precise the OceanPQS). when you edit the settings for that one in your settings.cfg to something like

minDistance = 2 minSubdivision = 1

maxSubdivision = 8

the "lag" will be gone.

My lag is really weird. It will lag the larger the ship I have, of course, and like most people, it slows down when both Kerbin's surface and the sky are in view. But sometimes it just doesn't. At all.

It's the physics. I believe a better CPU would be the answer. I dunno if the physics supports multiple cores, would have to test that.

My guess is no, I have a quad core 2.2 Ghz (rated 6.9/7.9 on windows experience index - calculation per second) and it slows down when atmospheric physics kick it, or when i look at the horizon. the games that i play that take make use of all 4 processors rarely slow down. perhaps a mod could address this?

I get lag/slowdown. When you have too many parts it seems to lag/slowdown pretty bad to the point I literally get 0.5 frames a second. For my example I'm building a space station with many parts. Launching it seems impossible at this point having 0.5fps.

Edited by Jeebs24
typo

Unity uses a modified for Unity version of an ancient release of CPU-only PhysX. So, it's a slightly tweaked version of a horribly inefficient single threaded physics engine. If it was updated for multiple threads and to use SSE/MMX/AVX/GPU/other TLA, then it would be massively faster. Heck, even if it used the normal PhysX libraries it'd be possible in theory to replace it with a better optimized one, but its baked in to the Unity runtime... makes that a bit difficult.

There seems to be a problem when you reach a distance from kerbin where max warp is possible(1.200 km?), too.

The game freezes for a second, for no apparent reason, and it only happens the first time you do it.

Is that when jumping to that warp speed or reaching that distance?

Shortly before, or exactly when I reach that distance, even at x1 warp.

It only started happening since 0.16, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the changes to the physics calculations.

(this was in 0.15, not re-evaluated this in 0.16 yet)

I've had some lag/slowdown which is specific to certain parts. I had one ship with 3 solar panels and it was fine, but if I got within 200m of another ship (even a simple one) I'd drop to about 3-4 fps. If I'd jettisoned the solar panels before the rendezvous I carried on getting >30fps.

I also had two ships which just could not get near each other without lag. Both could rendezvous with another craft without lag but there seemed to be some specific conflict between these two ships. I put it down to there being some parts which didn't play nice together, but never got round to reducing it to specific part(s) so I could be completely wrong.

I believe it to be cause by terrain rendering. Whenever I get too close to the surface of Kerbin or the Mun (or minimus) I get lagspikes for a while until the game has rendered the surface, until it starts rendering new terrain beyond at a higher level of detail.

...Sorta like minecraft, actually.

(this was in 0.15, not re-evaluated this in 0.16 yet)

I've had some lag/slowdown which is specific to certain parts. I had one ship with 3 solar panels and it was fine, but if I got within 200m of another ship (even a simple one) I'd drop to about 3-4 fps. If I'd jettisoned the solar panels before the rendezvous I carried on getting >30fps.

I also had two ships which just could not get near each other without lag. Both could rendezvous with another craft without lag but there seemed to be some specific conflict between these two ships. I put it down to there being some parts which didn't play nice together, but never got round to reducing it to specific part(s) so I could be completely wrong.

I was experiencing the same thing with solar panels. I used 16 the extra long solar panels (I know probably kind of excessive but would have looked awesome!) from the Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau parts. During take off the fps would drop to 10-20fps. At a certain altitude the fps would get lower. Other strange things is the altimeter would go crazy. It would indicate be at 20km, 90km, 1km then 100km...basically it's all over the place. The rocket exhaust didn't look correct either (didn't show as a stream but more of a ball of fire). Lastly the RCS thrusters shooting out clouds of smoke. At this point I'm at 0.5-1fps and can't continue on. Removing the solar panels seemed to have fixed the problem.

The lag is mostly to do with the rocket assembly limits. Having to place up to 4 independent rigid-bodies to make a single seamless cylindrical fuselage is not very efficient. I think it should be a pretty high priority for Squad to optimize the craft assembly model to coalesce parts when necessary. Not only will this cut down on lag it will also reduce the chance of physics updates causing you ship to explode unexpectedly. It will also get rid of the wobbly effect except maybe for decouple parts.

oasiac: While I am sure this is part of the problem, I frequently find the issue is just sheer part number. In this, the biggest contribution is number of struts, which would not be cut down by merging fuselages together. Instead, a heftier strut to use instead of 100 weak ones would be nice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.