[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

As far as I know there is no way to put a UI window on top of an IMGUI window.

This.  Cybutek already rewrote the UI code when v0.6 became v1.0 and it won't be a trivial task to change it over to the new UI system.

14 minutes ago, Padishar said:

This.  Cybutek already rewrote the UI code when v0.6 became v1.0 and it won't be a trivial task to change it over to the new UI system.

Mmm. thought so. I don't care to start a discussion about it here but just wanna say I hate the App Launcher so much :P

just a quick question about "part-less" vs "Career".  is it possible to have both?  as in I do not need a part, all command pods will have the module on them.  However I will still have all the restrictions of Career other than the part.  As in I need an engineer or I need the upgraded tracking station etc.

are these two options exclusive? or can I have both?  I hate radial attaching of parts like this on my craft for something that should just be part of the flight computers on board.  but I like the idea of limiting functionality based on tech or Kerbal level etc.

as of now I have always used a MM patch I made to just add the modules to every part with  MODULE[ModuleCommand], but I just noticed the options for "Part less" and "career" on the OP of this thread.  so I am wondering if I delete the MM patch can I select both partless and career and get the function of both?

What you are asking for is how things work now.

You get in-flight readouts if you have one of the following:

• A KER computer mounted on the craft.
  • An engineer on board the craft.
  • A fully upgraded tracking station.

If you don't want to use the computers, don't, they are like adding a probe core to get SAS without a pilot.  "Partless" mode just enables KER in-flight readouts for all craft in career mode games, (science and sandbox already have that enabled due to the tracking station).

So I had a thought for a mod, but I think it makes more sense to be part of KER.  

I was thinking that there should be a calculator output that tells you how long your battery power will keep the power consuming parts working while you are building your ship. 

For example:
If you had a simple setup
1 probodobodyne Okto
1 Illuminator mk1

Total consumption: 
3.6 charge/min

Total Storage:
10 charge

It would be nice to know, in the hanger, how long that will last when you are not generating power:
10/3.6 = 2.78 min

I get it that it is simple to calculate, but it would just be easier to have it right there while I am creating a satellite (especially because I use the remote tech mod). I am happy to help create the changes if that is more convenient.

Cheers.

I found this exception, never seen before:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.Orbital.CurrentSoi.Draw (KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule section) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule.DrawReadoutModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule.Draw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionWindow.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)
Spoiler

The game crashed by any unknown reason after I switched to each single Kerbal after landing on Earth, going on EVA, back to Tracking Station, recovering the Kerbal, back to lander, next Kerbal.
Each did collect samples, one planted a flag.

The last Kerbal was a tourist, couldn't go on EVA, so I went back to Tracking Station and - crash.
There is even not a trace of the crash in the output_log.txt and no crash dump in the KSP folder, but I found one in c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\CrashDumps\ ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/paohf0bsr7xr397/2017-06-17-1 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

16 hours ago, ai_guy said:

So I had a thought for a mod, but I think it makes more sense to be part of KER.  

I was thinking that there should be a calculator output that tells you how long your battery power will keep the power consuming parts working while you are building your ship. 

For example:
If you had a simple setup
1 probodobodyne Okto
1 Illuminator mk1

Total consumption: 
3.6 charge/min

Total Storage:
10 charge

It would be nice to know, in the hanger, how long that will last when you are not generating power:
10/3.6 = 2.78 min

I get it that it is simple to calculate, but it would just be easier to have it right there while I am creating a satellite (especially because I use the remote tech mod). I am happy to help create the changes if that is more convenient.

Cheers.

This might help in the meantime:

6 hours ago, ysu said:

Hey gents, is there any way to move the "vessel" and "resources" overlays/windows in the VAB?   They overlap with other control elements.  Thanks!

You can change the vesselWindowX value in the BuildOverlay.xml settings file.

On 18/06/2017 at 9:01 PM, Padishar said:

You can change the vesselWindowX value in the BuildOverlay.xml settings file.

Thanks!

It's a shame this isn't an in-game feature. :( 

At least - as I've realised - you don't need to restart the game to reposition the window; it's enough to leave the VAB.

Edited by ysu

Hi @cybutek,

Since KSP 1.3 became multilingual, do you think that your celebrity mod could support localization somewhere in the future?

I was leading the Russian localization team for the KSP 1.3 for the past 6 months and now I'm looking at streams and youtube videos of Russian KSP, almost everywhere your mod is featured as essential, but in comments and in chats non-English speakers still pose questions about what each KER reading actually means.

I would gladly lend my hand in localizing all the text strings into Russian and will call the other language localizers if you ever decide to implement the multilingual support in KER.

12 minutes ago, Enceos said:

Hi @cybutek,

Since KSP 1.3 became multilingual, do you think that your celebrity mod could support localization somewhere in the future?

I was leading the Russian localization team for the KSP 1.3 for the past 6 months and now I'm looking at streams and youtube videos of Russian KSP, almost everywhere your mod is featured as essential, but in comments and in chats non-English speakers still pose questions about what each KER reading actually means.

I would gladly lend my hand in localizing all the text strings into Russian and will call the other language localizers if you ever decide to implement the multilingual support in KER.

While my knowledge of scientific terms in Russian may lack, it is still one of my two native languages, and I believe I could collaborate on this. Additionally, I could help with a German translation, German being my second native language.

Can anyone confirm, that multi-mode atmospheric engines (Panther, RAPIER) do not get deltaV calculations anymore?

Simple way to test:
1) SPH
2) new plane
3) mk1 fuselage
4) mk1 liquid fuel
5) any type of air intake
6) any of the two engines
7) make sure KER set to Kerbin

The single-mode engines (whiplash, juno etc) do not have this problem, get calculated. Changing mode does not affect anything. If the plane is started with these two engines, they ignite and work.

11 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

Can anyone confirm, that multi-mode atmospheric engines (Panther, RAPIER) do not get deltaV calculations anymore?

Simple way to test:
1) SPH
2) new plane
3) mk1 fuselage
4) mk1 liquid fuel
5) any type of air intake
6) any of the two engines
7) make sure KER set to Kerbin

The single-mode engines (whiplash, juno etc) do not have this problem, get calculated. Changing mode does not affect anything. If the plane is started with these two engines, they ignite and work.

Haven't checked the figures but I am seeing them switch - tested in KSP 1.3 (with a lot of other mods installed)

I'm also seeing this - any part with a MultiModeEngine module fails to produce DV measurements. This occurs with both the stock parts and modded parts. Of particular note is that this only occurs running the OSX version of the game - DV measurements draw fine on my PC (W10) but not my Mac.

Repro steps are pretty simple - go to VAB, place fuel tank, then place a RAPIER on it, and notice it not getting calculated.

There seems to be nothing in the log of interest but I can post it if desired.

20 hours ago, Nertea said:

There seems to be nothing in the log of interest but I can post it if desired.

To stand more chance of the log being useful, please click the KER Settings button and then click the Verbose simulation log button.  This should add a whole lot of log output ffrom the deltaV simulation code.

4 hours ago, Padishar said:

To stand more chance of the log being useful, please click the KER Settings button and then click the Verbose simulation log button.  This should add a whole lot of log output ffrom the deltaV simulation code.

So I figured this out - there's a bug in the MultiModeEngine code (Squad's fault). The localized display names of the primary/secondaryEngineID (primaryEngineModeDisplayName) fields are pushed to the MultiModeEngine.currentID field, when it should be the non-localized version. So in the following example if #LOC_KerbalAtomics_Multimode_LH2 is not the string LH2, then indexing into the EngineIDs of the ModuleEnginesFX will fail because it will be localized. 

MODULE
	{
		name = MultiModeEngine
		primaryEngineID = LH2
		secondaryEngineID = LOxAugmented
		primaryEngineModeDisplayName = #LOC_KerbalAtomics_Multimode_LH2
		secondaryEngineModeDisplayName = #LOC_KerbalAtomics_Multimode_LH2OX
	}
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleEnginesFX
		engineID = LH2
		thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
		exhaustDamage = True
		runningEffectName = fx-sc-lh2-core
		powerEffectName = fx-sc-lh2-plume
		ignitionThreshold = 0.1
		minThrust = 0
		maxThrust = 60
		heatProduction = 270.4343405
		fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.574338
		engineAccelerationSpeed = 0.6
		engineDecelerationSpeed = 0.9
		PROPELLANT
		{
			name = LqdHydrogen
			ratio = 1.0
			DrawGauge = True
		}

atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 750
			key = 1 340
			key = 4 140
		}

}

This explains my stock issues (my mac's KSP was doing something weird with localization), my modded issues (I had put nice human-friendly localization strings into the DisplayName fields) and @Kerbal101's issues (Russian localization). I'm not sure how you guys will work around this bug but unless Squad fixes it there might be a bit of a hack to do. 

I apologize for the noob question, but I can't seem to find an answer to this scanning the threads. I'm running PC 1.3 that is stock except for KER, which was required by the issuer of a lowest SSTO deltaV to Laythe challenge, presumably for its dV readout as a scoring tool. The problem is, when I got my 5 Rapier+4 Nerv SSTO on orbit with no oxidizer left, the dV reading it gave me was way too low. KER said I had 2.2km/s, with a dry weight of 43t and abut 7,400 LF left, which per my (experience-tested) rocket equation spreadsheet gives me almost 5km/s on the Nervs. As far as I can tell, what it's using is a blended ISP between the rapiers and the Nervs, even though there's no oxidizer left. The "ISP" readout says 0 no matter what I'm doing, and shutting down engines/shuffling staging/moving fuel around my craft doesn't seem to make any difference. So, is there some way for me to get it to to ignore the Rapiers and tell me what my dV is on just the Nervs?

Edited by herbal space program

Perhaps this has to do something with it:

I recognized that KER and "Basic Delta V" are not capable of considering low thrust solid boosters like retro boosters some times.

The latest dev build of MJ seems to have this fixed.

I see the same (wrong) total dV in KER and "Basic Delta V" but the correct total dV in MJ.

1 hour ago, herbal space program said:

The "ISP" readout says 0 no matter what I'm doing, and shutting down engines/shuffling staging/moving fuel around my craft doesn't seem to make any difference. So, is there some way for me to get it to to ignore the Rapiers and tell me what my dV is on just the Nervs?

I had a similar problem lately. A lander that was perfectly fine at first sat there on Mun and had 0 dV by quite a bit of fuel in its tanks. After take off the "dVs" showed up again.

Variables:
1. used a (then) faulty part of KAS to connect three ships that bugged out but all in all worked
2. all three ships were next to each other and using USI LS at least shared their supply and EC resources (closer than 150m)
3. had trouble with seemingly enough dV to reach the lowest orbit possible, possible problem: girders used as landing legs

Though: Another of these three vessels showed its dV correctly (supposedly).

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, KerbMav said:

Though: Another of these three vessels showed its dV correctly (supposedly).

I guess I should add that I had a different version of this SSTO before, which also had Rapiers+Nervs in a single stage, but did seem to report the correct dV in KER after Rapier shutdown. One difference between the two planes is that the second one was put together using crossfeed-enabled small hardpoints. Maybe that's confusing KER around the staging.

...FWIW, when I put all the Nerv engines in the first stage in the SPH, the dV readout was subsequently correct.

Edited by herbal space program

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.