[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

I took the dev build today, and remembered to include Module Manager 2.7.5 and Modular Flight Integrator 1.2.3.0. This is a stock installation aside from visual mods so no unusual parts. It's behaving as expected so far, with one notable exception: I've had to move tail planes back a little to improve stability at low altitudes and speeds, and I'm finding I'm needing less fuel to get to orbit than on KSP 1.1.3 with the same craft. This might even be from KSP 1.2 treating rocket fuel tanks differently than in 1.1, and I get to use engines with higher thrust for longer as a result. Or, this is me flying better after practice.

The antenna-as-nose-spike hack no longer works with extended antennae, but retracted antennae seem to do the same job. That's no doubt due to antennae failing at certain dynamic pressures in KSP 1.2.

Just wanted to get a feel for other opinions regarding fuel efficiency and tail plane stability. I can provide craft file links in the FAR thread of the Spacecraft Exchange.

--

[Kerbal_x64 and 32bits - 1.2.2.1622] Wingparts lift and FAR panels missing

After many attempts to get FAR to work, I decided to go to a clean STEAM install and added only the FAR, the Modular FlightIntegrator that was supplied with FAR in github release was the old 1.1.3 version instead of the newer 1.2.3 version, therefore I downloaded the newer one and installed it.

Mods Installed:

• Module manager 2.7.5.dll
  • ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.3
  • FAR_0_15_7_2_Lanchester
  • absolutelly nothing else

Problem: FAR panels/icons do not showup, most wingparts have no lift attribute.

Reproduction Steps:

Open KSPx64 or 32bits. No FAR panel for configuration is available at the Space Control Base. Once in the Hangar, no FAR buttons/panel available. When building plane, wings have no lifting surface attribute. When at the runaway the airplane has no lifiing power, there are no FAR buttons.

OUTPUT_LOG.txt:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vedbhcbxszwfxsp/output_log.txt?dl=0

A quick analysis showed that basically everything related to FAR could not be properly loaded

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'ferram4.FARWingInteraction' from assembly 'FerramAerospaceResearch, Version=0.15.7.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

the word "FAR" has 2000+ matches in the log, all of them related to something that could not be properly loaded :(

PLEASE ignore, I am an uber stupid idiot that cannot properly read and failed to see that this is for  KSP-1.1.3

Also, I tried to compile dev version, no luck :/

Edited by Scoppio
uber stupidity :(

21 hours ago, Scoppio said:

Thanks for pointing out, also, I realised I don't have to compile the dev version to use it (too much in the head right now).
So, rolling back to 1.2.2 and deploying dev asap.

Your link to the forum post for AVIONICS is broken, BTW.

I'm still trying to sort out some weird mod issues myself.

On 07/01/2017 at 3:19 PM, blowfish said:

The news is a few posts above yours...

Thanks again! Yeah, I just saw that, this is because this link is from "before" the forum was migrated... (lost all my posts, postcount, etc)
The avionics is quite funny, but I need to buy more LCD screens to creathe a few avionics for me :D

I am using the new 1.2.2 dev... working fine for me atm. I'll try with tweakable scale and procedural wings

Edited by Scoppio

3 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Is this discontinued?

If you read a few posts above yours you might get hints as to the answer.  If you read a few pages back, you might actually see a post from the author explaining the current status.

2 minutes ago, blowfish said:

If you read a few posts above yours you might get hints as to the answer.  If you read a few pages back, you might actually see a post from the author explaining the current status.

I'm uber busy, I tried browsing but didn't find any, can you say?

1 minute ago, The-Doctor said:

why not, I have a midterm test tmro at 1pm, it's 12am here

Then go study (or at least sleep) and worry about FAR's status when you have the time to.  It's not like anything is going to change between now and then.

(just to be clear, I'm not singling you out here.  There are probably thousands of "status update plz" posts on this forum.  Just answering them would encourage more, so the answer has to be no every time, regardless of circumstance)

58 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Is this discontinued?

As ferram4 explained not long ago:

On 1/6/2017 at 9:26 PM, ferram4 said:

@aluc24: The current state of things is that it's still being developed, there are only 3 (I think) issues that still need to be fixed, and the only reason that I'm not rushing things out tomorrow (like I honestly could if I buckled down like mad to fix those issues) is that fixing some earlier issues required rejiggering some rather fundamental parts of FAR, which is the kind of thing that causes nasty game-breaking bugs to show up.  So I'm delaying to give the wonderful/crazy people who mess with dev builds a chance to make sure that I haven't introduced any new bugs through that before a full release, this way if there is a bug I can take time to address it rather than deal with the effect of looking to rush to replace a stable release that is anything but.  Also, bug reports from normal users are... frustratingly un-descriptive sometimes.

So barring any new, nasty bugs being reported that don't involve collision-based shenanigans like @Juncoph's helicopter thingy, I think I can get a release out in a week or so.  What's left shouldn't take much longer to address if it's within my power to address it.  But I want to make sure that any issues that need a patch are minor ones, not gamebreaking ones.

6 hours ago, blowfish said:

Thank you for explaning how forums work. Literally nobody knows that.

An update to the first post might be in order to inform people more aptly than asking them to browse a 500+ page long thread for puzzle pieces.

2 hours ago, Tricky14 said:

Thank you for explaning how forums work. Literally nobody knows that.

An update to the first post might be in order to inform people more aptly than asking them to browse a 500+ page long thread for puzzle pieces.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. 

2 hours ago, jstnj said:

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. 

No, actually the problem is the following.

11 hours ago, blowfish said:

This kind of passive-agressive reply has really became standard in this topic when it comes to answering people with questions and problems.
For the last few pages I can see that it is very common behavior in this topic, has trough the years the kindness and willingness to help others that was present in the first pages of this topic became out of vogue? Of course that in the 500 pages that are in this topic we have the answer for each question, but this is not an excuse to reply 3 times in a roll to the same person "I know the answer but I won't give you, look it up yourself"

1 hour ago, Scoppio said:

No, actually the problem is the following.

This kind of passive-agressive reply has really became standard in this topic when it comes to answering people with questions and problems.
For the last few pages I can see that it is very common behavior in this topic, has trough the years the kindness and willingness to help others that was present in the first pages of this topic became out of vogue? Of course that in the 500 pages that are in this topic we have the answer for each question, but this is not an excuse to reply 3 times in a roll to the same person "I know the answer but I won't give you, look it up yourself"

Be careful with your generalizations.  I help people with support requests and problems all the time.  My only issue is when the information at hand is readily available and the person in question can't be bothered to find it on their own.

Please, stay nice to each other on the forum, being agressive or impolite will not help anyone and will only make it harder to find the information you want.

Also, if you think that a post or a thread need moderation, report it instead of doing backseat moderation :)

Does FAR change the way landing gears behave? I get the feeling that the ship is much more unstable while landed with brakes off (and engines off), compared to a clean install, usually tipping to one side or another.

1 hour ago, blowfish said:

Be careful with your generalizations.  I help people with support requests and problems all the time.  My only issue is when the information at hand is readily available and the person in question can't be bothered to find it on their own.

Sorry for being annoing, I've seen part your contribution to this topic and the amount of work you put up on the project and I believe in your good intentios :)

Alright, so since blowfish's responses were too passive-aggressive for people, allow me to be more directly aggressive to anyone complaining about "read the past few posts" replies:

You realize that the only reason these news-related posts get buried is because half of the posts on the last page are people asking for news updates when there was one right near the bottom of page 522... and the posts that made the most recent one 523 were asking for news because they didn't read a few posts above.  Forums are not particularly good for searching for resources, but they are exceptionally good at getting time-related context for what's going on.  Make use of that.  Or even just look at posts on my profile, since that's a lot faster.

The big problem with constantly responding to "update when pls?" posts with just the same stuff is that inevitably the "update when pls?" posts swamp the news posts and bury them even worse than is already happening.  Stop breaking things.

Anyway, news-related thingamabobs: the irritating copying buttons have been fixed, and now I need to look into the issues with MTA Stockalike cockpits.  Normally voxelization breaking wouldn't faze me too much, given that it tends to point to unclosed colliders or something, but this one involves exceptions being thrown in the code which indicates something bad breaking.  Still need to track that down and fix it since it might point to something more serious than limited problems with that one mod.  So unless something big comes up , one last issue to fix.

2 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Hey y'all, I've gone back thirty pages or so in this thread over the course of the last hour or so, and I haven't been able to find the link to the dev build. Would anybody be willing to please help me out?

ferram4 said that he only wanted people who know where to find a dev build to be using it. The logic behind this was that the type of people who can provide useful bug reports will, most of the time, know where stuff like this is and he really only wants dev builds to be used for bug hunting. To quote him

It's a small barrier to entry to ensure that most of the people messing with the dev builds actually have an idea of how development works, either because they've been here for awhile or they've done their own development of stuff so that the feedback I get has a better signal:noise ratio.  Sorry, but this is to make things move faster; if you're able to figure things out yourself though, there's nothing stopping you from getting the dev build.

1 hour ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

ferram4 said that he only wanted people who know where to find a dev build to be using it. The logic behind this was that the type of people who can provide useful bug reports will, most of the time, know where stuff like this is and he really only wants dev builds to be used for bug hunting.

When I was in college, I worked for the school newspaper. We had a more-or-less official rule that anybody who could hack their own account up to admin status deserved to be an admin. As a policy, it worked surprisingly well.

On 1/16/2017 at 7:17 PM, ferram4 said:

Alright, so since blowfish's responses were too passive-aggressive for people, allow me to be more directly aggressive...

@ferram4, this is why I like you so much!  It's as if I made a mod and was trying to handle the masses not understanding that I have a day job, and do this when I have time.

I have not done that of course, but had I, I'd probably sound a lot like you.  Us curmudgeonly programmers gotta stick together!  Rock on! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.