Can you really escape Kerbol?

Dizzle

So today I sent a probe out to try and escape Kerbol. It was more than suited for the job, and when I had an escape trajectory, it said it would take 68 years to escape. I set it to max warp and left it running for about an hour and a half, or what ended up being around 16 years in-game. When I came back, I had traveled far, but it still said it would take 68 years. Is it actually possible to fully escape Kerbol?

Current distance from Kerbol: 5,892,155,742,208,434m

Speed: 12km/s+

It is not possible. The Kerbol sphere of influence is the outermost SOI, therefore there is nowhere for you to escape to. The 68 years figure is most likely the result of some value that's stored as an integer being at its maximum possible value

I have escaped the sun. using the ANVIL rocket mod launching straight up.

You were on an escape trajectory, but you did not actually escape. There is currently nothing beyond the sun, so it's not actually possible to escape its SOI yet. You can be on an escape trajectory, but you never get there. It is fixed at 68yrs.

If you've passed escape velocity, then you have escaped Kerbol. It will never pull you back in.

So yes, you have fully escaped Kerbol if you've met that condition.

I don't agree with this statement. You are still only on an escape trajectory. You haven't actually escaped yet. If you were to burn retrograde and lower your velocity you would still be in the SOI.

• 4 years later...
On 19/09/2012 at 4:41 AM, OdinYggd said:

Right now, the KSP Universe is effectively the size of Kerbin's SOI, as nothing beyond that exists.

I believe that is what current string theory suggests, yes. :wink:

Would it be possible for Squad to add more systems into the game and still keep it small enough to work on our computers, or would they have to go down the same path as Frontier Developments with Elite Dangerous, having us plug into servers holding all the data for us to explore around.

It would be a fun thing if one day we really could go where no Kerbal has gone before.

35 minutes ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

Would it be possible for Squad to add more systems into the game and still keep it small enough to work on our computers, or would they have to go down the same path as Frontier Developments with Elite Dangerous, having us plug into servers holding all the data for us to explore around.

It would be a fun thing if one day we really could go where no Kerbal has gone before.

Or, they could just add more planets and planet systems for us to explore like we've been asking them to do since Eeloo was introduced in 0.18.2

Think of all the stuff added to the game since that release, all the changes made to gameplay, all the various game mechanics added, and yet we have NOTHING new to explore. Oh sure, we finally got some randomly generated monoliths now. Yay!?

There are mods which add more systems, you just need ram and to run in 64-bit mode and add the mods.

I added another system to go along with Interstellar, and sure enough there is a whole extra star system waaaay out there.  There are a few people have made to be added.
I run countless mods, Outer planets, this extra system, everything maxed, 8k textures etc etc, no crashing problems (I do have 16gb ram, a 4770k i7 and a gtx 1060 though - I wouldn't go any lower than that spec for the mods I run).