0.17 Easter eggs

TheProdigy

Okay, I flew an Ike/Duna explorer out there to check the lagrange point. I couldn't find anything, but my flight wasn't exactly exact: it would be really easy to miss something small.

I also tried checking the area around the equator between both bodies. Confirmed I was on the equator via a few graphical glitches (odd sharp edges in the lighting, where the different QuadTrees of the terrain meet up), and flew quite a few kilometers to the east and west.

Fun fact: Ike isn't perfectly locked in the sky from Duna. It drifts east and west over the course of one Duna day (and Duna does the same from Ikes perspective). I travelled far enough to check it's entire path.

I found nothing: no pyramid shaped mounds, no models, no magic boulders. I'm not entirely convinced there isn't something at the lagrange point that I missed, but I couldn't see or hear anything on the surface where they align.

I think the munolith outside kerbin's SOI will be orbiting one of jool's moons. (since jool is the jupiter analogue) I'd expect it to either be ON val, or orbiting val (Val seems to me most like europa) although in the book 2001 a space odyssey it was one of saturn's moons I think.

The films however had the moon as europa, so I'd expect the monolith to either be on val, or orbiting it somewhere. Get looking!

I'd like to point out that its not because you see "magic boulder orbit started" that it is in orbit somewhere in space. A command pod ready to get launched from kerbin appears with the same message in the debug console...

Was coasting around inside of Duna's orbit, and passed by some type of rock floating in the air, somewhere at 32.797 N, 2.204 E.

Happened way to fast to get a screen, and i was going fast enough that i can't exactly find it again.

Anyone that's got a great spaceplane design want to take a look?

It's under 10,000 meters up. It's not very big, so, it's easy to miss.

I like the pattern to this. I wonder what you would see if you put a Kerbanaut off to the left of the picture inline with the pointed stones. If you stood far enough back from the line of pointed stones, you would line up your Kerbal's eyes with all of the tips of the pointed stones to see if they point to something. Since I have trouble just landing on the Mun consistently, any of you rocket geeks want to try?

Was coasting around inside of Duna's orbit, and passed by some type of rock floating in the air, somewhere at 32.797 N, 2.204 E.

It's under 10,000 meters up. It's not very big, so, it's easy to miss.

Oh my god. "Under 10,000m?"

Could that be 7km by any chance?

And 32N... can anyone check: is that where beeping hill is? (Edit) No. No it is not. Beeping hill is at 66S, 160W.

Edited by Quasar

Oh my god. "Under 10,000m?"

Could that be 7km by any chance?

And 32N... can anyone check: is that where beeping hill is? (Edit) No. No it is not. Beeping hill is at 66S, 160W.

I honestly have no idea. I crashed attempting to find it again. Honestly, i doubt it was above 3,000 meters. It's there somewhere. Flew RIGHT past me. Literally at the screen. Looked circular, and holey. It's not red, but grey, so, it would probably be easier to see from above it, than below it.

And i don't think it was moving, but literally floating.

I'll give you a hint: The SSTV is merely the first piece of a puzzle, and currently the only piece of it. All the other stuff that's been found, like the weirdness on the south pole, the star on Bop's north pole, the light on laythe, are just graphics bugs.

Are those lines in the upper left a diagram of tangent to orbit, phase angle, and ejection angle to get to ... something?

Nah, I believe the 4 figures to be kerbols, i think you will need to get 4 guys there, as that means 2 trips.

Why do people keep posting stuff like that? I've noticed it's primarily one guy, but I'm pretty sure having X amount of Kerbal's present will do SFA. Why would it? Do you think there's some kind of life detection system that requires four life signs? They can't even get Kerbin's gravity right with ships wobbling and falling all over the place, you really think there's some advanced life form detection system on Duna?

I understand this is a cool little puzzle they've made for us, but folks, please, keep the conspiracy theories within the realms of reality. The official word is that there's an SSTV anomaly on Duna, that's the only SSTV and nothing further is intended by it besides it being an easter egg (yet!).

We're done with the conspiracies on Duna, now we're trying to find the magic boulder. And as a dude said earlier on, please read the entire thread before expressing your revolutionary new unheard of tin foil hat theory because it's probably already been said!

Okay, I flew an Ike/Duna explorer out there to check the lagrange point. I couldn't find anything, but my flight wasn't exactly exact: it would be really easy to miss something small.

There isn't a lagrange point in this games physics engine? At least not in the conventional sense. That would be the neutral point between the gravitational spheres of influence of two celestial bodies. The second you're X distance from any planet you're suddenly in Kerbol's sphere of influence, not the neighboring planet like you would in reality.

If it is it's not from Duna. The angles are off significantly. It theoretically could be an insertion burn, but to what, or why, well, that's irrelevant as it doesn't tell us anything besides 'this is an insertion burn' and gives us no concept of where.

I think everyone is looking for something that isn't there, especially when the game developer already said there's nothing else there yet.

Although that being said I could clearly be an employee of some dark secretive government laying low with a mission to throw you all off the path to the secret that my government of the USKR has already discovered that you KSA hippies are too weak willed to find. After all, you pussies use parachutes, I use self-destruct mechanisms. They weigh less.

Why do people keep posting stuff like that? I've noticed it's primarily one guy, but I'm pretty sure having X amount of Kerbal's present will do SFA. Why would it? Do you think there's some kind of life detection system that requires four life signs? They can't even get Kerbin's gravity right with ships wobbling and falling all over the place, you really think there's some advanced life form detection system on Duna?

I understand this is a cool little puzzle they've made for us, but folks, please, keep the conspiracy theories within the realms of reality. The official word is that there's an SSTV anomaly on Duna, that's the only SSTV and nothing further is intended by it besides it being an easter egg (yet!).

We're done with the conspiracies on Duna, now we're trying to find the magic boulder. And as a dude said earlier on, please read the entire thread before expressing your revolutionary new unheard of tin foil hat theory because it's probably already been said!

That is what I said, there is nothing there yet, I was speculating on FUTURE possibilities. Yes, he said the SSTV signal is the only step at the moment, a step still leads somewhere. I also said that the SSTV was the only clue, and that a clue still leads somehwere but there are no more clues as of yet. My speculation was in no way a "revolutionary new unheard of tin foil hat theory" it was a response to a question that was posted to me. IMHO it is a quite logical assumption that I have made. I did not say it was in the game yet, I was thinking about what it may be in the future. My reasoning behind this is simple, they are not going to make it easy to continue from this point. We have already had to decode a SSTV picture to know to go to the south pole, where there is a pyramid(which is depicted in the picture). People would naturally land at the south pole without this picture. By having the requirement of 4 kerbins there it would take 2 deliberate trips to that point to unlock the next link, so someone just landing there would not skip the first step. An entity detector is much simpler to implement the orbital mechanics(I don't know C++ but I do know java and I could have it done in less then 10 minutes, orbital mechanics would take me years), so it is by no means a far stretch of the mind to consider this being implemented in the future.

This thread is about easter eggs, not just the one easter egg currently being discussed. Please be civil, if the SSTV easter egg picture and its possible future meaning interests people and that is what they wish to discuss, then that is what they are going to discuss. After all, it is an easter egg, and this is an easter egg thread.

Edited by NolanSyKinsley