.mbm significantly larger than .png?

Absolution

I'm starting to play around with Unity and the part tools provided by Squad and the first thing I noticed was my parts are quite larger than the "old school" way I was doing it. A dae file, its texture and config top out at ~350kb but a mu file made from that exact same dae and texture result in a total of ~3.5mb. I didn't add in anything extra beyond the 3d mesh and a plain old .png texture. Did I do something wrong or is that normal? Is there a way for me to cut out some of the fat to make a smaller mu file?

I realize that 3.5mb in modern terms is quite small but we're talking about a 10 times difference in file sizes. Your input is appreciated!

Edited by Absolution

Nothing, huh? I guess I was asking the wrong question. After learning more about the part tools I identified that the .mbm file is the culprit. I use a .png file for my textures that tops out at a whopping 60kb (1024x1024 px w/ alpha included) but when I drop it into my unity scene it is reported as being "0.7mb". That's still reasonable. However, when I click "write" it spits out an .mbm file that is 3mb in size.

I've looked at the stock parts and noticed most of them have mbm files in the 1mb range. I must have missed a setting or am simply doing something wrong. Can anyone offer insight?

*Edit*

And it also looks like I accidentally put this in the wrong sub-forum. If a mod has time could you please move it over to the "modelling and texture discussion"? Thanks!

Edited by Absolution

the mbm files are being saved without any compression, while the png is highly compressed. MBMs are currently basically raw Bitmaps with some extra data tacked on. More than likely its an "alpha thing" and they'll add some compression later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.