[v0.1]Space Shuttle Vanguard

NovaSilisko

vanguardlogo.png

Here you go, a Christmas present for the lot of you. A tiny space shuttle! Launches on top of a rocket and then returns horizontally to land on a runway. No landing gear yet, but it can take landing without it.

Launch can be tricky, as the plane likes to destabilize your flight dynamics. It takes some practice, but it\'s perfectly capable of reaching orbit.

To perform a successful reentry, set your periapsis to 30,000m, and when you enter the atmosphere, keep level to the ground until about 30,000 meters, after which, tilt the nose up 10 degrees and turn on SAS. You can turn on SAS earlier if you like, but it makes maneuvering difficult.

Download 0.1:

Dropbox

Mediafire

Example Craft File

vanguardscreens.png

Does it fly? If so, does it generate its deflection lift by detachable wings, or is it one whole model that acts as a wing?

Even if it doesn't fly, I can strap some wings to it so no worries, looks awesome by itself though.

...it allows abort by firing specific engines located in the wings of the Orbiter, all the way to space.

The primary disadvantage is that it doesn't have engines of its own, but this is easily remedied through the use of a booster stage.

Simulated image of Vanguard reentry.

So does it have any engine power? Or did you mean that the specific engines were like RCS modules, or a solid escape propellant?

Looking forward to a download.

I'm looking forward to this. I've got a couple of rocketplane designs but they aren't really meant to go into space (I'm thinking it might be useful to develop an aircraft for deployment on other worlds with an atmosphere), so it'll be really handy to be able to develop something more along the lines of a proper shuttle.

Ahh, cool. I did ASCII/ANSI art for my dad's dialup BBS back in the day (like, the 80s), but I didn't even think of that. I was thinking it was from some old game or something!

Yeah, I made it about a week ago or so and when I went on these forums, I thought it'd be a pretty fitting avatar.

Are the wings a separate part or are they part of the model?.

Imho I'd like to see it seperated into seperate parts so you can have an SAS module built in, and some form of lift, even if its broken in its current form (maybe updated when we get the control surface part? that'd be p cool).

Looks REALLY COOL. So original and classy looking. Why can't there be a quick way to switch out command pods? Can't they just make it so you can delete the command pod, and just place the new one in? Of course you HAVE to start with a command pod though.