[v0.1]Space Shuttle Vanguard

NovaSilisko

Looks REALLY COOL. So original and classy looking. Why can't there be a quick way to switch out command pods? Can't they just make it so you can delete the command pod, and just place the new one in? Of course you HAVE to start with a command pod though.

ya i think later on in development we will be able to do that

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I\'m not sure if it was intentional or not, but the design (the shuttle atop a booster) is very reminiscent of the 1954 von Braun prototype/concept.

disney.gif

I like that. I like that alot.

Too bad VB didn\'t find out until after that picture was taken that T-tail aircraft+Supersonic Speeds=Death. Still a ton better than just sticking it on the side of a giant fuel tank with two super long burning unstable SRBs. I can guarantee you there wouldn\'t have been any foam incident with it being on the top.

super long burning unstable SRBs

Incorrect.

The SRB\'s have been proven very safe. Their failure rate is something like less than 1%. They failed only once on STS-51L, and in fact, they were designed to fail like that. It was the fault of NASA\'s bureaucracy at the time that engineers words of the cracked o rings never reached authorities. The SRB\'s continued to work and burn ever after the explosion. They\'re used on so many rockets today anyway.

And for your information, the Saturn V first stage burned just as long.

Incorrect.

The SRB\'s have been proven very safe. Their failure rate is something like less than 1%. They failed only once on STS-51L, and in fact, they were designed to fail like that. It was the fault of NASA\'s bureaucracy at the time that engineers words of the cracked o rings never reached authorities. The SRB\'s continued to work and burn ever after the explosion. They\'re used on so many rockets today anyway.

And for your information, the Saturn V first stage burned just as long.

Agreed. Slow burning is really not an argument.

I still don\'t think you EVER want a solid on a people carrier. Ever. The simple fact that you can\'t shut it off safely is reason enough. On sat carriers, sure. if it fails, it\'ll get destroyed either way. Not so much with people.

Agreed. Slow burning is really not an argument.

I still don\'t think you EVER want a solid on a people carrier. Ever. The simple fact that you can\'t shut it off safely is reason enough. On sat carriers, sure. if it fails, it\'ll get destroyed either way. Not so much with people.

Yeah. I understood were you were going with how dangerous SRB\'s CAN get. Just as much as they are safe, they are also dangerous. With a parallel staging system such as the space shuttle\'s, it\'s a terrible idea to use SRB\'s. With the Ares 1-x, a simple abort system is all that\'s needed against a failure.

Yeah. I understood were you were going with how dangerous SRB\'s CAN get. Just as much as they are safe, they are also dangerous. With a parallel staging system such as the space shuttle\'s, it\'s a terrible idea to use SRB\'s. With the Ares 1-x, a simple abort system is all that\'s needed against a failure.

Well...... no, not really. The abort system had to seriously beefed up, and there where a lot of issues that where not completely resolved with Flaming chunks of SRB fuel hitting the parachutes.

No solids on people rockets is a good rule to abide by.

And it wasn\'t a terrible idea - it was based on a diffirent paradigm.

( ares 1 was actually a terrible idea, though - i\'m glad it\'s dead - and I hope ATK\'s 'liberty' launcher never gets past the drawing board )

As I said, no solids on people carriers pretty please, whatsoever. ( pyro bolts / possible LAS excluded )

• 3 weeks later...