SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

Very nice!! Looks similar to mine, did you launch the upper center section along with the ring section? If so how did you make it strong enough to make it into orbit? I will post pictures of my station after my fifth post gets approved :)

The upper center I launched separately. I launched it upside down with a decoupler attached to the top of the command module, then split off after I docked it

hlXXHEH.png

Most nights I play KSP for a couple of hours after my son goes to sleep. Launching this station had me obsessed for several weeks. During that time I was unable to orbit any craft, such was my obsession. It went through many designs and failures. Ulitimately, it was launched manually, using ASAS during the orbital burn. What you see was launched in one piece.

The storage capacity of the station's tanks is between 6 and 7 thousand LFO. it will be fully kermanned with a crew of 12. it has 2600+ battery capacity and a high bandwidth communications array of 9 communotrons. the station has 12 docking ports 7.5k in MP reserves and a safety ladder along the length of each pylon. The station will serve as a staging/refueling area for missions to the Mun, Minimus and beyond. Its open structure radiates around a central docking port which will facilitate the assembly of large deep space mission vehicles.

Mods used are Nova Punch parts pack, Deep space mission pack and the JARFR tri hexagonal struts.

two more images with more coming of the station's ongoing operations.

Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/SxzLM

Edited by wbcundiff

Dorak, I think I have ring envy. I pretty sure I'm not up for that docking challenge. well done sir.

LOL, It took forever to get my rendezvous, I usually build a tug with prograde and retrograde outboard engines (with action groups mapped to 1. activates prograde and shuts down retrograde engines, 2. activates retrograde and shuts down prograde engines and 3. shuts down all engines) It is much easier to get a rendezvous with HUGE payloads with this tug, still a huge pain in the ^$#, I manually get to within about 70m then let mechjeb get me to within 10m at which time I have to switch back to manual because mechjeb causes everything to sway back and forth as it fires MP to try to align the docking ports...

Heres a screen shot of my Heavy Tugs docked together...

8696363380_535dbcd336_b.jpg

Sorry to spam ring-stations, but I really love these things. This is the HMS Ultra Luxe, in Kerbin orbit. I like the design, but it's almost completely useless - the physics on the ring section glitch out and explode if you botch a docking and bump a ship into it.

sgcw6o7ddtgc8jgfg.jpg

Okay, so this isn't a space station, but it's too cool not to share :)

screenshot5.png

screenshot4.png

This is my habitation station, named after Daenerys Targaryen's dragon, Viserion. The tail was a horrible pain in the rear to bring up.

screenshot28.png

screenshot27.png

screenshot4iw.png

My first actually useful space station, CSS Desiderium, with attached service and transport module. It has two Kosmos TKS RD-0225 monopropellant engines for propulsion and station keeping just below the side RCS tanks, and a winch system for jumping things that don't quite make it to the station, because I've had problems with electricity and RCS fuel before.

Cross-linked from general chat -

For those that like 'em big...really effin' big.

24 linked parts from 14 launches assembled painstakingly in orbit...completely [sTOCK]. Presenting the RFS Coral Reef:

2013_04_26_00003.jpg2013_04_26_00005.jpg

Docking that ship took about 2 hours due to lag, the procedure itself was fairly easy.

2013_05_03_00013.jpg2013_05_03_00019.jpg

To cut down the part count, I didn't include RCS thrusters on the thing. It just doesn't move. Don't ask it to, the thing is rock solid.

Edited by PolecatEZ

So my last station(posted a few pages back) even tho small, low part count as i could.Its still to laggy to try to use at this moment.So i created a new one.I haven't even gotten the fuel tanks,kethane converters or quantum struts in yet and its already lagging :( .But hey it looks AWESOME!!!!! lol

zEMu4M7.jpg

Edited by Dudeman1420
fixed daPIC.

First space station, the ever-so-creatively-named Utility Station Alpha. In practice, less of a utility, more of an orbital lag-cannon. Hanging off the side like some bizarre alien robot leech is the MOT-3, or Manned Orbital Tug, affectionately nicknamed the "Ugly Duckling." The tug was orders of magnitude more useful than the station. Entering physics distance of this thing caused my fairly powerful PC to lurch to a halt.

kBrdt07.jpg

And THIS is what happens to Not Very Helpful Space Stations (NVHSS).

1WnxUMQ.jpg

Bigger and better things ahead. Next station is under construction, using the Temstar Olympus and its companion modules as its core. Carrying a full Big Orange and an orbital warehouse, the Spacedock Hephaestus will soon be churning out spacecraft far too large to send up from a terrestrial launch vehicle. Next module going up is the PME Zeus, then after increasing orbital altitude the first shipments of parts can be sent up. Rendezvous is a little tricky when the station sits in a 73km orbit.

r4yJ6U1.jpg

Jeb, get back inside before gravity sucks you down. :sticktongue:

MOSS (Mun Orbital Science Station) with SSTMO Spirit of Prescott docked on the bottom of the multi-direction node and the Kerbin-return shuttle docked on top. On the end node is a non-functional Mun bus that is being used as a fuel depot (until it runs out). The transfer stage fuel tank and injection engine are still attached on the right end. Currently 6 Kerbals are onboard with two more en-route (kind of) in SSTMO Spirit of Sedona and an additional two Mun-side in the base that MOSS supports, Lonely Outpost.

VZIrtQU.jpg