Low poly standard parts

koberko

Hi guys. I have made low poly versions of standard parts, to ease up rendering an possibly increase frame rate with big ships. Parts are in any other way identical to standard parts, they just have less details and less detailed textures (256x256 px). I have made new textures for this parts (more optimized use of texture space and UV maping), so you have to replace texture and 3d model file (DAE).

Before you replace original files, make sure that you have made backup of those files ;)

Awesome, this is a very useful addition to the addon collection we have here. I would like to see these as part of the default installation as an alternate set of parts, that is they come with the installation and you can put them in if need to.

Awesome, this is a very useful addition to the addon collection we have here. I would like to see these as part of the default installation as an alternate set of parts, that is they come with the installation and you can put them in if need to.

LOD models, bro

Well, anyway I can't confirm that this models will in any way increase FPS or remove lag with big ships ( I actually haven't made any detailed tests), but I wanted to see if it will make any difference (I honestly didn't notice any; but I have tested on very big ships, so on less complex ships, it my have some difference). Anyway, I still decided to share them, so if anybody will notice some improvement in performance, please report it.

And just for comparison, regular liquid engine have 2151 polygons, while my version have 436 polygons.

Texture resolution is more of a performance killer than polygon count - and because KSP has no mip-mapping...

Exactly. If you really want to save processing power keep the poly accounts and drop down from a 512 to a 256.

Exactly. If you really want to save processing power keep the poly accounts and drop down from a 512 to a 256.

I have reduce textures for this models to 256px, but they are different from original textures, so they are not a big use without this models.

P.S. Does someone know how to reduce (or turn off) particle system? Think that that also has big effect on performance.

• 7 months later...

Take note the date of these posts. They are from back in September. While necro-posting is usually frowned upon, this time we\'ll let it go to serve as notice to the original author that he may need to upload new copies, preferably to a file host and not as attachments. Attachments usually get lost in server moves and we\'ve moved twice since then.

[mod]Locking this topic until the original author requests an unlock.[/mod]

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager