Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

Hmm.. Rockets launched from balloons you say...

(I had a lot of fun making this story up as I went along here. Oh god the amount of BBCode editing..)

OMG, I was about to bust a gut. Great write-up! :)

Yeah, rockoons are not a simple prospect, but it does offer some interesting options for things like Eve-returns. :)

I've only done it for small-scale stuff, like putting satellites into orbit with only what would normally be my upper stage.

There have been some real-world experiments...

twoballoonrockoon.jpg

Edited by RoboRay

Hmm.. Rockets launched from balloons you say...

Balloons are great for assisting rockets.

This was the Totally Hypothetical Eve Launcher, testing the concept. (Named so because nobody wanted to scare the public by saying they were actually considering sending someone to Eve.)

r6hkmTs.png

Engines were engaged, and folding the balloon straight away, or leaving it up, were tried in various combinations.

ePaHjuD.png

gIvcIaj.png

Ended up on an orbit almost at Jool, I think.

Looks like the scientists got their way that day, unlike in M5000's brilliant write up.

Edited by Tw1

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I was like that too... so I re-created it, tossed on a MechJeb, and got it to a stable 67x62 orbit with something like 4 units (total) of fuel and oxidizer left. WTG Francesco!

well you can actually go even smaller than that, I remember seeing something like this on the forums:

gztztkb.jpg

that gets to orbit in a single stage as well.

but I wanted something more aesthetically pleasing.

yH7P7MU.png

Not a very interesting image, but the fact that I have tweaked my favourite SSTO to have enough dV to get comfortably to the Mun and back without being refueled is joyful. I'm fairly certain it can be further cut down on mono-prop (which means I can have another fuel tank!) and I realised at about 60km that I'd left two of the intakes open, so there's still a lot of room for improvement.

I love these little victories in KSP. Landing on the Mun for the first time was massive, but Mun landings have diminishing returns. Improving your favourite craft is always good.

Balloons are great for assisting rockets.

This was the Totally Hypothetical Eve Launcher, testing the concept. (Named so because nobody wanted to scare the public by saying they were actually considering sending someone to Eve.)

Ended up on an orbit almost at Jool, I think.

Looks like the scientists got their way that day, unlike in M5000's brilliant write up.

Balloons work great at Eve.

4r0EW7Y.jpg

Going up.

MJuBDfD.jpg

Reduce the dV requirements to less than 6000 m/s

Talking about Jool.

Been where.

lroq2eu.jpg

All the way down.

5T9heU6.jpg

Getting out is pretty hard but doable.

lMeLcHf.jpg