Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

I tried, it didn't fly well.

~picsnip~

Thats awesome!

From what I gather the real GeeBee didn't fly so well either, just stooopid fast. According to pilots you could see almost nothing while flying them, and even less on take-off and landing. I just think they are great looking planes...and kinda Kerbalish in real life if ya look at them.

There isn't really a good way to make the rear connected wing between the tails though.

Yea, I don't really think there can be, cause it needs to be attached on both sides of the tail(s) and the procedural wings does seem to bee a good fit, extend them towards each other, just close to touching and connect with struts...it pretty good actually, I made another a little while ago and finally got it to fly stable...the problem is balancing the CoM right, and I had to attach 1 Big and 1 small of the radial rcs tanks on the inside of the tails, which looks a bit strange, maybe i should have used you radially tanks...oops

And yes, making the attach points centered on the sides would be a good idea, as I can't really see a good use for a top or bottom attach point, unless for some reason someone wanted to attach them under wings, but...eh

I've also come into some builds where a half-sized oblong fuel tank could be very handy (like the structural one, but with fuel!!!) It could be very handy.

And I feel another good thing could be a better sized (and looking) radial air intake than the stock one. sometimes it can be a bit large and awkward and may be some thin like these could be nice

14624d1321560377-air-intake-options-sharkinlet.jpg

01-Air_intake_under_port_wingroot.jpg

You know something small and compact, good for putting directly behind the propellers, esp on wing mounted engines...

not that I'd abuse them and cover my plane fuselage in them for plenty of intake air...:wink:

EDIT: DOH! didn't see you had a pre-release patch a few pages back. disregard the following if you had already made changes to correct these things.

SNJO,

Some feedback, I know you're working on things so not really harping on ya..just noticed a few things so far with the update which might need looking at.

Stock Install:

Everything I tried worked well except the floats, new patch somehow killed their bouyancy.

Updated Ferram:

- Mustang style wings and tails, seemed to have no control authority nor get listed as having control surfaces. Pilot pod torque seemed insufficient and flight mechanics were sluggish. Not sure what was the correct implementation there or if it's just me. :P

- Helicoptor rotors work well initially, but then flight behavior goes completely wonky with very little throttle. I can do a basic hover take off with minimal throttle, but any significant movement quickly becomes uncontrollable. Not sure whats going on with it.

Edited by BubbaWilkins

There isn't really a good way to make the rear connected wing between the tails though.

You could make it so its 2 small wings that meet in the middle. I know that's not how an actual P-38 is. But if done right the looks and functionality would be the same.

As far as I can tell so far, the only thing that's broken is the water launch module, and that's because they changed the way craft height is set on launch to look for solid ground.

As far as FAR bugs go, I haven't tested that in a long while, and my mod is already know to be only semi-compatible. Thanks for the error reporting though. ( assume those points you listed were all with FAR, and not a problem with choppers in stock+FS)

Gotta check the floats... If they are broken in stock, I gotta go ahead and make separate float code, which InfiniteDice can tell you is not an easy thing at all.

edit: they float just fine in my Seahorse. Is the craft you tried very heavy or something?

Edited by Snjo

As far as I can tell so far, the only thing that's broken is the water launch module, and that's because they changed the way craft height is set on launch to look for solid ground.

As far as FAR bugs go, I haven't tested that in a long while, and my mod is already know to be only semi-compatible. Thanks for the error reporting though. ( assume those points you listed were all with FAR, and not a problem with choppers in stock+FS)

Gotta check the floats... If they are broken in stock, I gotta go ahead and make separate float code, which InfiniteDice can tell you is not an easy thing at all.

edit: they float just fine in my Seahorse. Is the craft you tried very heavy or something?

I have the current version installed in 0.20.1 and the water launch works a good deal of the time, in fact, there is only one craft on which it did not work.

EDIT:also all the floats work.

Well, I am running FAR and a few other mods at the moment. That said, this identical chopper floated nicely previously with only the bottom half of the pontoons submerged.

screenshot35_zps2495e371.png

Shame Firespitter and FAR don't play nice together.

I would really love to see a fully modelled and animated F22 Raptor.

I love them and would adore it.

And a Comanche helicopter, animated and all too

Oh stahp eht, I'll have to bomb someone back to the stoneage :P

- Mustang style wings and tails, seemed to have no control authority nor get listed as having control surfaces.

When I had FAR before .21, i had noticed the same problem, none of the wings from Firespitter had any control, nor did they actually move when looking at them.

I figured out if you quicksave, and then reload that, it resets the control surfaces, kinda like when you have a water launch.

Playing around with the config files and noticed that the FAR lines only referenced the Flight Model module. Messing around with it I changed the fighter wing .cfg to the following:

// ----- FAR values, enable the lines below if you use Ferram Aeorpace Research mod. By IvanTehFennec -----

MODULE

{

name = FARControllableSurface

MAC = 2.2

e = 0.9

MidChordSweep = 14.74

maxdeflect = 15

b_2 = 3.8

TaperRatio = 0.3

name = FARWingAerodynamicModel

S = 8.33

MAC = 2.2

e = 0.9

MidChordSweep = 14.74

maxdeflect = 15

b_2 = 3.8

TaperRatio = 0.3

It makes a difference in what order you call them out too, but both the fighter wing and tail wing with similar edits now work correctly in FAR. I imagine the bomber parts will do so as well.

Great work as always! Wondering why the prop engine caused the Center of Thrust to be way up high above the engine itself. Thanks for fixing it! ;)

Also, Snjo, do you think you can fix my modding problem? I am working on a component Huygens system. I model in Blender, and export to KSP via Unity, as usual. I think you may be able to know how to fix this, as you made this mod, and I am sure you encountered the problem where the part would be sideways in the VAB. Any ideas how to fix this? I got this problem.

Hey Snjo, I've got a bug. I'm playing on a mac with the newest release, and there's no sound from any of your engines whatsoever. Solutions?

check your speakers to see if they are on and or turned all the way down

go through the mod to see if there is sufficient and non corrupt audio files

Playing around with the config files and noticed that the FAR lines only referenced the Flight Model module. Messing around with it I changed the fighter wing .cfg to the following:

MODULE

{

name = FARControllableSurface

MAC = 2.2

e = 0.9

MidChordSweep = 14.74

maxdeflect = 15

b_2 = 3.8

TaperRatio = 0.3

name = FARWingAerodynamicModel

S = 8.33

MAC = 2.2

e = 0.9

MidChordSweep = 14.74

maxdeflect = 15

b_2 = 3.8

TaperRatio = 0.3

It makes a difference in what order you call them out too, but both the fighter wing and tail wing with similar edits now work correctly in FAR. I imagine the bomber parts will do so as well.

I'm guessing you omitted some curly braces, cause defining the name twice in the same MODULE section won't do any good. If you have some reworked cfg files I'd love to include those in the official version once you know they work well.

Great work as always! Wondering why the prop engine caused the Center of Thrust to be way up high above the engine itself. Thanks for fixing it! ;)

Also, Snjo, do you think you can fix my modding problem? I am working on a component Huygens system. I model in Blender, and export to KSP via Unity, as usual. I think you may be able to know how to fix this, as you made this mod, and I am sure you encountered the problem where the part would be sideways in the VAB. Any ideas how to fix this? I got this problem.

The thrust position issue was because I had two instances of a thrustTransform object in the unity file, on out on the edge of the propeller, so it used an average position between them. I guess I duplicated it at some point to check some coordinates and didn't remove it afterwards.

If you change the axis in the cfg it might help with the rotation. E.g from node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0 to node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, or something like that. Otherwise, you might have to rotate the thing in Unity.

Remember that thing should point upwards in Unity as if they were on a rocket.

For positioning thing correctly on the global axis I have my rule of thumb for the coloured axis as they relate to the craft directions. Blue Water, Green Hills, Right is Red. (Get your belly towards the blue direction, your nose towards the green, and the right side towards red)

Another Pre-release to fix floats not working

Download

New code on the seaplane floats removes the stock floating ability entirely, relying solely on the module FSbuoyancy. I've only spent a few hours on it, and it needs some more polish, but it should see you not sink at least.

I still need to tweak the drag values so the floats have some more water resistance probably. For the moment they are probably indestructible in water, and might not set your vessels Splashed status correctly for the flight tracker.

v5.4 pre-release 2

-Texture switcher module. Switch textures in the hangar for:

--Bomber nose art

-new landing gear functionality: motor, roll retracted, friction overrides, etc.

-VTOL steering (pitch and yaw through engine rotation, roll through thrust variation)

-Support for arrays of values in cfg files through FSnodeLoader

-New float code to combat the new KSP versions inability to float things.

For positioning thing correctly on the global axis I have my rule of thumb for the coloured axis as they relate to the craft directions. Blue Water, Green Hills, Right is Red. (Get your belly towards the blue direction, your nose towards the green, and the right side towards red)

Which arrows? The ones up in the top-right corner of the editing space in Unity, or the ones on the object? Should I get them to match up? I got the green arrow pointing up, though, which I think is a milestone for me...XD

I'm guessing you omitted some curly braces, cause defining the name twice in the same MODULE section won't do any good. If you have some reworked cfg files I'd love to include those in the official version once you know they work well.

Actually, that was a direct copy paste from the cfg I was using. It was working well and I had thought I had seen other parts configured similarly, but I did go back and update it. Now have all the fighter parts and bomber parts working in FAR. Not sure I can do anything with the rotors, but they do work to an extent already...just highly unstable.

In the Hangar: Go into action editor mode and click the VTOL engine. A menu will pop up to set the preferences for the engine.

In flight: Right click the engine and click Next VTOL steering mode or something like that. The modes are Off, Single Pair, Double Pair and Custom. Custom will give you the pop up menu, the others are auto configured based on the engines' positions.

In the Hangar: Go into action editor mode and click the VTOL engine. A menu will pop up to set the preferences for the engine.

In flight: Right click the engine and click Next VTOL steering mode or something like that. The modes are Off, Single Pair, Double Pair and Custom. Custom will give you the pop up menu, the others are auto configured based on the engines' positions.

I don't seem to have the option. In the hangar I have the angle presets, but in flight no steering mode options are present. Gonna check if I have the latest version and report back.

EDIT: My bad, I was using the older pre-release. Everything fine now. Thanks.

Edited by Weatherman159

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.