[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

I will be at work till past midnight, so I'll post some updates tomorrow. And expect the (raw) version of the whole "Kadmos" story from "Jool of Kerbol system" to be put here once again soon. In the meantime you can take a look at this slightly outdated delta-v plan and goals list:

HtNNWkB.jpg

gUBCcrL.jpg

Edited by czokletmuss

You've also inspired me to make an AAR.
He has inspired many people to do their own AAR, including me. And for anyone that followed my story, I will start uploading it again tomorrow.
I agree. I will restart my AAR again as soon as possible

I'm really happy to hear that :)

Hello czokletmuss! I enjoy your stories very much !

I remember you telling us, just before the forum drop, that you already did a fair amount of space travelling and that a lot of new chapters would come as soon as the forums are back (famous last words :D lol).

How are you doing with the writing? Any expected release date for a new chapter? I see the current ones more as an introduction, I can't wait to read some proper space-traveller Jeb :P

Keep it up!

Well, last few days were very busy for me, but after work today I'm going to finish the next chapter so you can expect it very soon. And yes, due to problems with forum I spent more time on playng then reading on writing about it :) I don't won't to spoil the surprises, but I can say that currently 40-45% of the mission is completed. I enjoy writing it so you can be sure that there will be more chapters coming. I don't know how many of the will be there in the end but I guess that probably twice as much as in "Kadmos" story or something like this. So 40 or so chapters, we're still on the very beginning :)

This is turning out great so far! Looking forward to more. Also what mod is that command pod from?

This is a modfied version of Munox from FusTek:

MunoxPromo-293x261.png

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24826-FusTek-Parts-Munox-Karmony-Modules-Station-Parts-Docking-Nodes-19-X

I asked fusty if he can create a special version just for this AAR and he agreed, for which I'm very grateful :)

His parts are great, I love them and I'm always using them outside the Kerbin SOI: you can download Common Berthing Mechanisms here http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/common-berthing-mechanisms-2-5m-docking-ports-2/ and the Station Parts here http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/fustys-station-nodes-new-karmony-node-2-5m-crewtank/

Edited by czokletmuss

CHAPTER 4

MINMUS ESCAPE ORBIT – LOW KERBIN ORBIT

ej7qkfg.jpg

Commander's log, entry two. I don't really now why I'm still calling my notes „logsâ€Â, I guess due to some misplaced nostalgia. I can of course dictate everything to BERTY, but I don' really like that idea. I know that despite our progress in A.I. research, he technically does not possess a conscience. And that „he†is in fact, „itâ€Â. However, I don't find it comfortable to pass my private thoughts through his circuits. So here I am, in my bunk with a good ol'fashioned pencil and notebook. We're all good ol'fashioned here, me and the boys. There is a lot of time before the transfer window to Moho opens and we still have to perform all the tests and meet the rest of the crew. As we move further and further away, the icy features of Minmus get smaller with each passing hour. All that lay before us is smooth sailing to the parking orbit above Kerbin.

XF9SJv8.png

HX478QW.png

uHFDsEC.png

qTUid4u.png

Commander's log, entry 3. No problems with journey. As soon as we've arrived, Bob and his men left all the work to us and set sail to the KSS „Epsilon†to „evaluate the mission plan in light of the recent errors found in with the Protractor navigation systemâ€Â. I miss the old bold KASA, with less bureaucracy and more spirit. Maybe the new guys will be more entertaining then Mr. Director? The Dragon is finally ready to start, so we expect to rendezvous anytime now.

wOLHpx2.jpg

8NEZTn0.png

rwmRDSs.jpg

zJ4WVp7.png

OJls3se.png

Commander's log, entry 4. Change of plans. The Dragon was ordered to dock to with the KSS „Epsilon†first. The good news is that Bill is coming onboard. Besides this, nothing really interesting is happening right now.

3Ot1cN1.png

fZ8DnBK.png

H95KV8q.jpg

Commander's log, entry 5. I didn't know that the Dragons are modified and equiped with the service module now. This is annoying – I still have a feeling that they aren't telling me everything about the mission. Okay, this is a small detail, but something just doesn't feel right about all this. We've had to deflate the lower modules in order to allow Dragon to dock with us and a fully automatic, reusable ship will collect some waste and deorbit. There's still nothing to do but soon we will have to rendezvous with the Kerbin Fuel Depot to replenish our consumables before the giant leap.

F5CqHeU.jpg

oGtCxCK.jpg

HX478QW.png

CS0z69U.jpg

Commander's log, entry 6. The Fuel Depot is gigantic and even “Proteus†won't be able to use all of its supplies. Oxidizer, fuel, air, food and kethane – we have all we need. BERTY will be performing docking operation with the Moho Shield. The enormous amount of radiation and temperature variations while on orbit above this planet will certainly damage “Proteusâ€Â, so this is a must. Even with the inflatable heat shields this is quite a heavy construction – we won't have a big safety margin while travelling there.

ZPrA3ta.png

aNsTZOd.png

ykgFRgB.png

u3buUul.png

ZRakKBz.jpg

S0G45dg.jpg

After the Fuel Depot departure Bill and I officially started the transfer window timer. Almost a month of “team-building†and “acclimating in the new environment†plus A LOT of tests. New environment, you have to be kidding me… Kod, I hate this administrative jargon. At least Bob isn’t here.

A9vnBnD.png

HX478QW.png

- Hey, you!

- Sir?

- What are you doing? I told you to recalibrate this, not replace it. And stop with this “sir†thing, call me Ned.

- Si… Ned, I'm sorry. I must have misheard you. We're working day and night to prepare the “Proteus†and…

- Day and night lasts an hour up here.

- Ye-yes. We're doing what we can.

- That's not enough, lad. Maybe I should find some ways to motivate you.

- I'm telling you si... Ned, this ship will be fully operational as planned.

- Director Bob does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation.

- But he asks the impossible! I need more men if he…

- Then perhaps you can tell him yourself when he arrives.

- Director Bob is coming here?

- That is correct. He's most displeased with this apparent lack of progress.

- We… we shall double our efforts.

- I hope so, for your sake. Now go on and do this properly.

- Right away!

- That's it. O, hello there Sid.

- You shouldn't prank them like this, you old fart.

- Oh come on, I'm bored. And maybe we will really be 100% ready on schedule.

- “Director Bob is coming, be afraid!†- this is childish. Besides, he won't be coming.

- What?

- He's a director, not a kerbonaut. Administrative staff…

- Kod, you really don't know?

- Know what?

- Bob has resigned. He's coming with us.

MFeV4Co.png

gGZOMFY.jpg

RoGGMA8.png

MISSION STATUS

kpnsfSO.png

CHAPTER 5

MOHO TRANSFER BURN – MOHO ENCOUNTER

8oK8oy6.jpg

Commander's log, entry 7. The day has arrived.

sj9Uh4p.png

vuWuIgc.jpg

- Okay BERTY, let's check this one last time. Propulsion?

- Nominal.

- Navigation?

- Nominal.

- RCS?

- Nominal.

- ASAS?

- Nominal.

- Life support system?

- Nominal.

- Kethane tanks pressure?

- Nominal.

- All systems nominal, we're ready to go, I repeat, “Proteus†is a GO for trans-Moho injection.

- Commander?

- Yes BERTY?

- Kodspeed nominal.

- Err, thank you BERTY.

- Look, we’ll pass close to the Mun.

- Yes we will, Bob.

PqlhIT8.jpg

- â€ÂProteusâ€Â, this is KSC Mission Control. We confirm your status, you have a green light. Fly safe.

- Affirmative KSC. BERTY, begin the countdown.

- T minus-30 seconds and counting.

- I really hope that everything will go smoothly this time.

- Don't worry Jeb, we've learned our lesson with “Kadmosâ€Â. You must be happy that we're finally leaving.

- Yes, the waiting is the worst part of any journey.

- T minus-10 seconds.

- But you know what Bill, I prefer the landers. Voice commands don't feel like actual flying.

- T minus 6 seconds. Please prepare for the acceleration. T minus 3 seconds. Engines full throttle.

n0RIaEd.jpg

lsSieWK.png

aJNTT2o.png

M3NSgpF.png

- Injection burn completed. Course corrections on route required.

- And so it begins.

- Where are you going Jeb?

- To the airlock. Visual inspection of the hull.

- Wait a second, this isn't scheduled and there is no need for that at all. Am I right BERTY?

- Affirmative, captain. The probability of hull damage is negligible.

- Let him go Bob.

- What? He can't…

- He spent months in deep space onboard a failing ship. I think he deserves one last look at home. And speaking of which, I want it too. Come on, let's go to the observation pod.

- But…

- Come on Bob.

iAldUXc.png

- Commander, I have to remind you that your unscheduled extravehicular activity will be reported back to the Mission Control.

- Thank you for reminding me BERTY. I'm sure they will want to have a serious talk about my disobedience some 4 or 5 years from now when we return.

bLmoeXr.jpg

- Hello there. I hope this is not the last time we meet.

zUobA6U.jpg

p6pQZks.jpg

- Damn, I'll miss this view.

- Commander, you are too far from the ship. You have surpassed the safety limit by 147%. Please reduce your distance immediately.

- It’s no fun with you BERTY.

- Fun is not scheduled for this hour. Leisure activities for the crew will begin in T minus 3 hours and 23 minutes.

- :sigh: Okay, okay, I'm going back.

HX478QW.png

KSoxthG.png

KSoxthG.png

2Ty2lNW.png

HX478QW.png

Commander's log, entry 8. We have to correct our trajectory. I'm puzzled – it seems that we will have to spend more m/s than our estimates has shown before. BERTY can't explain why. They can say what they won't, but nothing will replace the Kerbal, not even the best computer.

HX478QW.png

KZw6cjN.png

Commander's log, entry 9. More than two weeks has passed. Morale is good, though we're all concerned about the trajectory. KSC is still checking the problem. It should have been expected – the first and only probe to Moho was sent there more than 20 years ago. Is it possible that we're missing some data? If so, the capture might be impossible. Sid says that this is rather improbable – how big changes can occur to the planet in 20 years?

HX478QW.png

ZdW875u.png

Commander's log, entry 10. We're still struggling to capture this little bastard but it seems that we can’t hook it. A few decades after “Kadmos†and we still haven’t mastered planetary dynamics it seems. If we fail, we will be forced to wait one “year†on our current orbit to try again. The good news is that we will be able to perform the next corrections with greater precision. We have plenty of supplies but I'm worried about our fuel levels. Still, this means two extra months in deep space; thanks to Moho’s quick orbital period it won't mess up our transfer windows too much. And who said that this time there won't be any surprises?

HX478QW.png

zHShkbg.png

Commander's log, entry 11. I was too frustrated and bored to bother writing anything here. Watching movies, listening to the music, reading and playing videogames – this was our adventure for the last month. And of course exercising – we don't have a centrifuge this time, however the slowly rotating ship provides something like .1g. At least we can observe the Sun. And I have to say that now we know each other much better – pointless floating around in the giant void can bring people together, as “Kadmos†has clearly proven. Out of boredom I even made a table:

Y0VXXHi.jpg

The brave crew of “Proteusâ€Â. Kod, I wish we were already there.

HX478QW.png

c3YX1Fb.png

Commander's log, entry 12. It's all crystal clear now why we failed – indeed it was the wrong data. As it turns out we're quickly approaching Moho; it's smaller than we thought and it has no atmosphere. Sid was vividly discussing this subject and this fact was very strange. The very thin and superheated atmosphere just disappeared. Moreover, the planet is not tidally locked to the Sun as we thought. This will be problematic for a lander – second LAMGML is reinforced to withstand the extreme conditions on this rock but surely the surface exploration will have to be shorter. I guess the Moho probe was just plain broken as almost none of its data is correct. Due to our current position we were able to catch Moho’s transit with the “Proteus†cameras – it’s so incredibly small compared to this magnificent star. We will reach it soon.

8FLSdMw.jpg

ACV8qDG.png

MISSION STATUS

UkXRS3K.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.