RLA Stockalike v10 released 11th August

hoojiwana

I got the original post back from Google Cache, the rest of the posts and such are all there as well but I didn't feel there was much in there that was terribly important to recap. It was mostly just my updates and peoples suggestions. Any information on how to make parts that was in here I'm planning to make little tutorials for anyway.

Better avionics package is a great idea, but something as thin as the inline one can wobble a lot, or crush easily unless the strength is set higher than usual... What do you think of a radially mounted avionics package? By way of possible inspiration: http://i.imgur.com/hHRu4tO.jpg (That's back to back avionics nosecones attached via cubic octagonal struts and part clipping. With a MechJeb radial brainbox behind them.)

I like this pack - the RCS ports are useful, the MMRTG is great, the arcjet / resistojet is neat. If I may make a suggestion, I personally would really like to see a Monopropellant engine, because I CFG edited up one and it has proved very useful, and I really do like your modelling style.

Considering how much fun I had testing all those RCS thrusters in hacked gravity at KSC, and then landing this probe on Minmus, and seeing devo's huge RCS on his WT-51 I'm considering making a few gigantic RCS types and some traditional engines that run on monopropellant. If you want some that don't look too stock, I think the Kosmos SSPP has some you can use, as well as some big monopropellant tanks.

MMRTG 0.2 on Spaceport, just a little retexturing job.

Since I've started my modding information links thread, I've found out that I've essentially been implementing parts in Unity incorrectly. Obviously this needs rectifying, so I've started redoing all of what I've currently made. Taking cue from Lack Luster Labs and B9 Aerospace, I'm also redoing every texture, and exporting them all as PNG instead of MBM. This means that the texture files themselves are smaller whilst remaining full-resolution, and that you will also be able to edit them as you see fit. For now, only the MMRTG has had this conversion, and the Stockalike pack is well under way. The Electric Engine pack will be converted at the same time that the WIP engines will be released. For the moment though, here's a little preview:

txEniif.jpg

I've now finished going through the Stockalike parts, and they should now be on Spaceport with PNG textures! I recommend deleting the existing folders that have the RLA_stockalike prefix, otherwise you may end up confusing KSP with multiple files named the same thing.

This mod looks awesome. Downloading now and subscribed to this thread (this will be the first mod I download.)

May I ask which one in particular caught your eye?

I've now finished going through the Stockalike parts, and they should now be on Spaceport with PNG textures! I recommend deleting the existing folders that have the RLA_stockalike prefix, otherwise you may end up confusing KSP with multiple files named the same thing.

May I ask which one in particular caught your eye?

The electric engines caught my eye. The MMRTG looks good as well.

The electric engines caught my eye. The MMRTG looks good as well.

I'm part way through doing an update to the Electric Engines, including a complete revamp of the Resistojets.

Here's some 3D Model Previews, with the new naming convention I'll be using:

EE-A-05 Arcjet

EE-R-05 Resistojet

EE-I-01R Ion

And some older preview shots from before the forum outage:

6LkLFb3.jpg

mk8ryVR.jpg

Both of those parts still Work-in-progress, with the 1.25 meter Resistojet lacking an emissive in that shot. It also does use electric charge, I was running on debug menu infinite fuel to test the engine.

Edited by hoojiwana

Impressive mods here - they manage to increase the options and technologies available without really feeling 'un-stock'. Looking forward to future development - I like those new resistojets! An unimportant suggestion related to the Radial Stack Extenders: if you place them on the curve of a 1.25m part the edges of the mount are visible and they look a bit 'stuck on' - maybe the model could be extended back a bit or perhaps curved slightly to make the connection look smoother? Also, if you need any more ideas for the Stockalike pack, 0.625m and maybe 2.5m equivalents to the stock Radial Attachment Point might be useful.

The stack extenders were made to be used alongside 2.5m parts so that's why they stick out. At some point I'll do a remodel of them so the connection point won't stick out of 1.25m cylinders.

You can easily do a CFG edit of the Radial Attachment Point in order to get new sizes of it. Make a couple of copies of it, one for 0.625m and one for 2.5m, then change or add rescaleFactor in the CFG files to 0.5 and 2. You might want to change the mass of the parts as well.

Edited by hoojiwana

• 4 weeks later...

...I think that changing the "name" field in the part configs, which you did when transitioning to the new folder structure, will break saves. Not to mention that your new names have no "RLA" prefix which makes them more likely to conflict with other people's parts.

...I think that changing the "name" field in the part configs, which you did when transitioning to the new folder structure, will break saves. Not to mention that your new names have no "RLA" prefix which makes them more likely to conflict with other people's parts.

Mmm. I may have been a bit rash in my rebuild of the names. You bring up a good point with the prefix thing.

EDIT: I've now uploaded a new version that re-adds the RLA prefix. New names will break saves though.

yeah but other game mods updated to 0.20, there are only Parts or plugins folders there

Then they have not completely updated to 0.20.

Edited by hoojiwana

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a long old while since I did any content updates, and I've since learned how to do some new things, including fairings and specular maps. The next EE update will add some alternative Ion engines, as well as some Xenon tanks to use if you don't have KSPX.

LDAUcXv.jpg

It's been a long old while since I did any content updates, and I've since learned how to do some new things, including fairings and specular maps. The next EE update will add some alternative Ion engines, as well as some Xenon tanks to use if you don't have KSPX.

LDAUcXv.jpg

Can't wait for the next update!

Those xenon tanks look good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.