[1.0.4] (2015-07-04) Telemachus – Telemetry and Flight Control in the Web Browser

Rich

Another small update on the SpacePort (version 1.3.2.0). No new features but it fixes an epic bug which can cause the game to crash when you open the Telemachus landing page. The sooner I sort out these stability issues the sooner I can add more features :D

Heh, no time for test versions on the last two releases as those bugs were stinkers and required immediate release. Still more bug fixing and a few optimisation to do.

I'd like to replace the buttons created as java ui with little images looking like the thrust on or direct ullage pushbuttons of the Apollo CSM instrument panel. (See http://history.nasa.gov/ap10fj/pics/thrust-on-p1.png for reference.) How can I do that without taking java programming lessons?

And not to forget: Great mod, it allows nerds like me to make their own mission control centers!

You would need to teach yourself, or find someone with the skills to do so. Personally I am not so great a creating visually appealing user interfaces (hence my reliance on jquery ui), I am more of a crazy systems engineer who does things like build web servers where they shouldn't be.

The next update will enable the web server to serve images (jpeg and png currently), this will be a handy feature for anyone trying to make custom user interfaces.

If you are familiar with JavaScript and HTML then it is certainly possible to create custom visualisations using the API provided, since the web pages are served from the KSP PluginData folder. While both the velocity and the dynamic pressure can be accessed via the API, the thrust information has yet to be added (thanks for reminding me that I need to put this and vessel weight in :D). However, custom graphs without writing your own code is still a work in progress.

I have been thinking about logging for such a long time, I really want to find a way in which I can log the data on the web browser end, but due to restrictions I have not discovered a scalable way of doing this. It looks like I will need to extend the API to allow for logging on the KSP side, then build a web page which allows you to start/stop and specify which information you are recording.

In other news, I am working on tables for the next release as shown in the screenshot below. Yep, it is simple but I want the "core" functionality to work on as many devices as possible, however other people are free to create more complex device specific designs if they wish.

M6V67Ez.png

Edited by Rich

You know what would be almost as good and potentially easy, is a text log of 'point in time' values. Like a 5 second value. 10 second value. 30 second value. etc. You can fill a table by doing simple appends or text concatenation. The value is available because you're drawing it but you'd have to track the clock and print to log at determined intervals. This would let me check the performance of one flight against another flight and tune accordingly. It might get around some of those restrictions you're talking about by keeping it entirely within the browser. :)

I have considered this option but there are potential scalability issues with regard to the amount of data you are loading into the web browser. Ideally the data needs to be buffered into a file so that mission data can be logged for an arbitrary length of time, but with the restrictions placed on web applications in the area of local file handling I might as well give in and delegate the logging to to KSP.

Been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with this. I go to the launchpad and try to open the link, but I always get this error in the debug console: [Log]: [Telemachus] Unable to open the data link. Please try to edit the Telemachus configuration file manually.

Currently, I've tried changing the port to either 80 or 8080, but neither seems to work. I'd like to get it to work with 80 so I can run it over LAN/internet. Yes, my ports are forwarded, but I can't even access it on local host.

Hola Short Circuit.

By default Telemachus attempts to listen on all available network interfaces, the error you are getting occurs when something is preventing it from listening. Have you tried disabling your firewall and anti-virus software just so we can try to isolate the issue?

The other action to try is to specify both the port and IP address you wish to use in the configuration file; you can obtain a list of potential IP addresses by using the ipconfig command on windows and the ifconfig command on OSX/Linux.

I know of at least one other person who has had this issue, so I will invest some time in printing more detailed error and help messages in this area.

Thought I'd add this since I got it running just last night, on my KSP computer, another one (family laptop), my samsung Tab 2, and my Samsung Galaxy S2.

Based on a Windows 7/windows 8 system.

stages 1-5 is done on the system that is running KSP.

1. when you first start Telemachus you will be asked if you want to accept the certificate, click yes.

2. Hold your windows key and press 'R'

3.type 'cmd' and hit enter.

4.type ipconfig /all and hit enter

5.look for the line that say IPv4 address: 192.168.X.X it might say preferred after it.

6.now on all your other devices that you want to show Telemachus, type into the browser address bar: http://IPv4 ADDRESS GOES HERE:8080

This works really well, small changes would be nice as all sections output a graph which for somethings is not needed. I even controlled my craft from the Mun to Minmus using my phone last night :) Had my kitchen looking like mission control it was epic.

Just wanted you to know, we over at Reddit Space Race are using your mod to great effect. However, we're all curious about when we might get data about spacecraft attitude.

Glad to see it is coming in handy :D. Attitude feedback is much needed and I was doing some research into this last night with the aim of including it in the 1.4.0.0 release of Telemachus. Not sure when this will be ready, but I hope to enter the testing phase as soon as I have the attitude sussed.

Is the camera part working? Because it won't load my.ip.1.here:8080/telemachus/camera.html.

And it is a really, realy great mod!

(Now i need to play mission control thing with my family :P

EDIT_1: I did install the camera mod. It is this one, right? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/12329-0-19-Multiversal-Mechatronics-Fixed-Camera-1-3

Edited by 1001sd

If you use his source code and got the feed from the camera mod, then yes it would in fact work but you would need to load the DLL from the fixed camera mod or have ITS source for it be usable.

If you need at tester, holler at me. I'll gladly help.

Thanks will PM you if I have anything which needs testing.

Is the camera part working? Because it won't load my.ip.1.here:8080/telemachus/camera.html.

And it is a really, realy great mod!

(Now i need to play mission control thing with my family :P

EDIT_1: I did install the camera mod. It is this one, right? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/12329-0-19-Multiversal-Mechatronics-Fixed-Camera-1-3

The camera integration has not been released yet as it is currently highly experimental.

Ah, okay. Well then, i must live without a remote camera :(.

Will you ever make your dev-releases public?

EDIT_1: (I need to get better writing everything i want to before i posts :P) I guess it will be impossible to have IVA and/or map view in the mod?

Or is there any possibility to see the other planets, or at least SOI changes?

Edited by 1001sd

Experimental builds will not be made public, but they represent my intend with regard to features I wish to include into future releases.

I suspect IVA is possible (given the cameras are active in the flight scene), but showing the map view will probably not work as it is probably inactive unless you are in the map view.

Detecting SOI changes is currently possible, I hope to use this in conjunction with Kerbal Maps to provide a map of the body in the current SOI, your ground track, and the positions of other vessels.

This might seem a bit tricky, but how about a graph that shows delta v as reported by mech jeb or other plugin. One could then track available dv over time - or more importantly, dv available vs altitude. :)