[1.0.4] (2015-07-04) Telemachus – Telemetry and Flight Control in the Web Browser

Rich

If you do actually get RemoteTech to work with your beautiful piece of work, would you be able to control RemoteTech's flight computer?

Once RT and Hull Cameras get integrated, nothing stops you from running the game on a closed room and playing the game from your couch with a tablet :'D

Just imagine a multistream setup in which you show how you control the ship from Telemachus and how the ship reacts through cameras.

You could emulate pretty well the real missions :'D

downloaded the mod for the first time from the spaceport (for the 0.20 version) and i have the following problem. when at launch i enable the link and open a link (to my web browser), i see the main page with the options but when i launch i get no data to my web browser (i placed all the science parts at the VAB on my ship). At the debug menu i get the message gfxdevice is in invalid state. A wild guess (since i am i bit bored to get through all 13 pages), do i need to be connected to the internet in order for this mod to work?

is there any way to make it lass sensitive! its really twitchy on a small craft, and it also doesn't track well it seems to do better if you tap it on a touch device.

Holding the right mouse button on my Firefox window does not adjust roll it defaults back to pitch and yaw, it only affects roll if i right click and let go.

and finally is there a way to reverse the pitch input as pulling back on a rocket is counter intuitive

when you impliment the rcs control put it in as 1 set of 4 buttons for translation and one set of 6 buttons for pitch,yaw,roll functions rather than a digital control.

something like :

translation P/R/Y

ââ€Â´ ââ€Å’ ââ€Â´ ââ€Â

ââ€Â¤ ââ€Â¬ ââ€Å“ ââ€Â¤ ââ€Â¬ ââ€Å“

thanks for the implement it WORKS just a lil buggy atm.

Thanks for the feedback; I will be working on the development build this evening.

If you do actually get RemoteTech to work with your beautiful piece of work, would you be able to control RemoteTech's flight computer?

Not sure yet, as my feasibility study only included the possibility of adding the delay and the ability to transmit.

downloaded the mod for the first time from the spaceport (for the 0.20 version) and i have the following problem. when at launch i enable the link and open a link (to my web browser), i see the main page with the options but when i launch i get no data to my web browser (i placed all the science parts at the VAB on my ship). At the debug menu i get the message gfxdevice is in invalid state. A wild guess (since i am i bit bored to get through all 13 pages), do i need to be connected to the internet in order for this mod to work?

Correct, an Internet connection is required because all the pages, except the information page, rely on JavaScript served from various CDNs.

Hello,I downloaded the latest version of Telemachus,everything was going fine,I've tested it on my main computer,it worked,but when I wanted to access it from another computer (IM:I was trying to get to the Telemachus site) none of the pages worked.It was saying that it can't connect to "127.0.0.1:8080,I've tried IE,Firefox and Chrome,nothing worked.And yes,they are connected to one WiFi..Is it a known bug or I'm the only case?

Find where the Telemachus part is loaded in the debug log, and you should see several address:

FpbdXsZ.png

127.0.0.1 is your local address which can only be used on the machine running KSP. In order to access Telemachus from another machine on your Local Area Network, you will require the address of the form 192.168.xxx.xxx.

Edited by Rich

New development version in the OP. I will have to apologise for the fact that the translation implementation does not use buttons as suggested, as a result of several issues. I decided to tweak the Touchball so that it now has a dead zone around the the x and y axis and lower sensitivity. For example, if you want to translate forwards (touchball-xyz.html), use a single tap on the negative part of the y axis. I will continue to tweak this input method and work on the inclusion of buttons.

Not sure where to post this, but I redid the Telemachus web interface to be contained in only one tab. There's still a a lot left I want to do, but so far I've gotten it to usable, sorta stable state.

Note: It requires you to press a button twice before switching graphs however. Please click on the '???' button to figure out my abbreviations. Also, the kerbal maps hasn't been integrated yet (not really sure how I'm gonna pull that one off), along with any of the dev build stuff and the Smart ass buttons.

Get it off my github: https://github.com/Tuner-Racer/Tabless-Telemachus

Screenshots (Click for full size (1920x1080)):

FRuIziI.pngrVao1ZA.png

Edited by tuner

Not sure where to post this, but I redid the Telemachus web interface to be contained in only one tab. There's still a couple a lot left I want to do, but so far I've gotten it to usable, sorta stable state.

Awesome! I am always pleased to see what people have made using web technologies and the Telemachus API, and as such I hope you continue with this project :D

New development version in the OP. I will have to apologise for the fact that the translation implementation does not use buttons as suggested, as a result of several issues. I decided to tweak the Touchball so that it now has a dead zone around the the x and y axis and lower sensitivity. For example, if you want to translate forwards (touchball-xyz.html), use a single tap on the negative part of the y axis. I will continue to tweak this input method and work on the inclusion of buttons.

will download and test in a minute

I just have a quick question. Here is what I did:

-Port forwarded 8085 to my static ip on the computer running KSP

-Tried to type in the IPs from the Debug menu (including static IP) and the port 8085 into my laptops browser. No go.

-Used the IP I got from (whatismyip.c*m (I guess this is my external IP?)) to connect my laptops on the same network.

It works, but I'm just wondering if this is the correct way. I thought I should be able to enter the static ip of the host computer into the laptop and have it connect directly through the router. I'm kinda new at port forwarding so I am just wondering if it is correct. The IP from (whatismyip.c*m) is totally different from the IPs given in the Debug menu.

Thanks.

will download and test in a minute

Feel free to be as critical as you wish :D, as I appreciate the feedback.

I just have a quick question. Here is what I did:

-Port forwarded 8085 to my static ip on the computer running KSP

-Tried to type in the IPs from the Debug menu (including static IP) and the port 8085 into my laptops browser. No go.

-Used the IP I got from (whatismyip.c*m (I guess this is my external IP?)) to connect my laptops on the same network.

It works, but I'm just wondering if this is the correct way. I thought I should be able to enter the static ip of the host computer into the laptop and have it connect directly through the router. I'm kinda new at port forwarding so I am just wondering if it is correct. The IP from (whatismyip.c*m) is totally different from the IPs given in the Debug menu.

Thanks.

Good work on getting the port forwarding to work, as normally this is the most troublesome.

Correct, you should be able to use your static IP address to connect to the computer running KSP; however, I am unsure as to what is preventing the connection in this case as your port forwarding is working. I love networking ...

Hello there, I've been toying with this plugin some over the last few days, and I'm having a bit of a problem finding something -- is there any way to get the maximum of a resource that a vessal can contain? Right now what I do is just check if it's greater than the max I last saw, but that's not very good for stuff like percentage bars.

Thanks for any help. :)

Not currently, the resources API is lacking several pieces of data such as your suggestion and per stage information. I will see what I can do in terms of adding these to the next development build.

Good work on getting the port forwarding to work, as normally this is the most troublesome.

Correct, you should be able to use your static IP address to connect to the computer running KSP; however, I am unsure as to what is preventing the connection in this case as your port forwarding is working. I love networking ...

Ok, after a few hours of troubleshooting I fixed the problem and can connect directly. Turns out that the DNS I had assigned to my desktop running KSP was different than the others on the network. Always the things most overlooked....Networking is the bane of my existence. So if anyone else has problems in the future make sure all your networking addresses are correct and set up properly and that you can ping the address on the network you are trying to reach.

As for some feedback: I love it man, great stuff. I have not had any glitches or problems whatsoever.

Quick question. Is there a way to change the background to a darker color? Like something I can change or add in the config files. The white is kind of harsh in a darker room. I found tuner's display easier on the eyes, but I want to use your dev build. (By the way Turner: Awesome job, I liked how you made it available all on one page. Looking forward to seeing how it develops)

Edited by jakeafpr

To change the graphs' background to black:

1. Open the file named jKSPWAPIGraph.js the PluginData folder.

2. Replace this line:

chart.draw(google.visualization.arrayToDataTable(rawData), options);

with this line:

chart.draw(google.visualization.arrayToDataTable(rawData), $.extend(options,{ backgroundColor: { fill: "#000000" } }));

Awesome! Thanks a lot, that's much better for my setup. One thing I did find though is that in the "Altitude" readouts it appears that the values for the "Height from Terrain" and "Terrain Height" are switched. So my "Terrain Height" readout is the distance my ship is from the terrain rather than the height of the terrain itself and "Height from Terrain" appears to be the actual height of the terrain.

One thing I did find though is that in the "Altitude" readouts it appears that the values for the "Height from Terrain" and "Terrain Height" are switched.

Ha, good spot ... and fixed for the next update.

Well, weird thing is is that it appeared to fix itself once I got to about 18000m. I'll post a screenshot:

RreqRay.png?1

You can see the orange (Terrain Height) scale with my altitude while the red (Height from terrain) remains constant. Then at 18000ish they switch all of a sudden and "Terrain Height" drops to and keeps a value of (-1) while the red takes over and continues the measurements. Weird....

Edited by Rich

I was wondering ... any way to pass off some of the processing to another thread/process that could run on a second CPU? This is an amazing plugin, and I could see this opening up the game in spectacular ways that no one can even imagine right now. My only problem ... it soaks my computer. I have 4 procs, but only one of them does anything while KSP is loaded. :/ Any way we could spread the load, especially with somewhat process intensive plugins? Maybe this is more of a general question for SQUAD, but in particular, I could see the server side of this perhaps running as a separate process instead of within unity?

Rich, also re: web speech api, it might be cool to allow the speech plugin to hollar out key distances or other important information. Like comercial aircraft (and the spaceshuttle) the flight director/autopilot will announce the aircraft's height above ground durring the approach at 500ft, 10ft, and so on. That'd be pretty cool to have. Maybe allow for customized triggers ... could be interesting to call out certain data about relative orientation and distance from targets while docking?

btw, amazing plugin. keep it up!

-e

I was wondering ... any way to pass off some of the processing to another thread/process that could run on a second CPU? This is an amazing plugin, and I could see this opening up the game in spectacular ways that no one can even imagine right now. My only problem ... it soaks my computer. I have 4 procs, but only one of them does anything while KSP is loaded. :/ Any way we could spread the load, especially with somewhat process intensive plugins? Maybe this is more of a general question for SQUAD, but in particular, I could see the server side of this perhaps running as a separate process instead of within unity?

The server is built using asynchronous sockets so the majority of the processing is done using the system thread pool:

Asynchronous sockets use multiple threads from the system thread pool to process network connections. One thread is responsible for initiating the sending or receiving of data; other threads complete the connection to the network device and send or receive the data. In the following examples, instances of the System.Threading.ManualResetEvent class are used to suspend execution of the main thread and signal when execution can continue.

The only processing which is not done on a separate thread are the commands which change the state of the craft, such as staging, since KSP will explode horribly if updated from another thread.

Rich, also re: web speech api, it might be cool to allow the speech plugin to hollar out key distances or other important information. Like comercial aircraft (and the spaceshuttle) the flight director/autopilot will announce the aircraft's height above ground durring the approach at 500ft, 10ft, and so on. That'd be pretty cool to have. Maybe allow for customized triggers ... could be interesting to call out certain data about relative orientation and distance from targets while docking?

btw, amazing plugin. keep it up!

-e

I planned on getting it to read out figures in response to voice commands, but I see no reason why this could not be done automatically.

The server is built using asynchronous sockets so the majority of the processing is done using the system thread pool:

The only processing which is not done on a separate thread are the commands which change the state of the craft, such as staging, since KSP will explode horribly if updated from another thread.

Hmmm. Well, whatever the case, turning this plugin on halves or worse my framerate on launch, and only one core shows as being used at any one time. btw, i'm using a mac.

-e