Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

Took my Duna rover to the Mun for a live test. Turns out it drives very well. So I picked up the last of the probes that survived a crash landing of a failed probe ship. I'll see where I can take them.

roverx.jpg

PS, putting docking ports on everything gives me many options. :P

The HAMMER:

HMMR: Heavy Mobile Mining Rig:

IkaFVokl.jpg

Shakedown cruise to Mun.

Mods used:

ISA MapSat's GPS location device that puts the "YOU ARE HERE" dot on the maps.

Iannic-ann-od's Chatterer radio device.

Designed a light-weight crane-rover to move base modules about on the Mun. Worked perfectly.

Thats EXACTLY like my heavy crawlers :D except slightly smaller, and I havent bothered getting mine to Laythe yet, not until 0.20.0 when they are fitted with their Mining payloads

The real Apollo Lunar Rover was folded up and stored inside one of the wedge-shaped segments of the octagonal structure of the Lunar Module's descent stage. I wanted a little two-kerbal moon rover for my LM, so I attached it to the side close to to location where the real one was stored. The kerbals climb onto the rover and hold onto ladder segments to ride it. I have my rover control keys remapped to ijkl, and I find that the kerbals tend to slide up the ladder segments when I turn the rover left or right with the j & l keys... but if I turn the rover using the q & e keys (which still rotate the rover around its vertical axis), the kerbals do NOT slide up the ladder segments.

Below, the rover being ejected off the side of the LM:

MgIGzRq.gif

My signature rover: The Caterpillar.

On the Mun.

It didn't last long, tipped over during a sharp turn and tried to recover it with little to no success.

Apparently, recovery attempts sometimes yield interesting results...

Edited by Flixxbeatz

Good God! Those rover designs are really creative, I really need to think of how to implement some of these delivery systems, especially the 'detachable from the mothership' method. I've been doing the conventional skycrane delivery system, or at least it seems to be conventional.

Those who like modding, check out this landing airbag mod, it's neat!

I made too many conventional rovers for Mun/Minmus, so I decided to make my Duna lander as an airplane (with the FireSpitter propellers). I made the side props pitch a bit with DamnedRobotics in order to make liftoff easier. My computer would lag horribly with the massive number of stock OX-Stat panels that I needed while testing on Kerbin, so I had to "custom order" those bigger ones (middle ones are 16x mass, 16x power) in order to drive the triple props. Touchdown was surprisingly easy once I jettisoned the transfer/braking stage. It turned out to be way safer than my ground rovers (unless you go above ~4km).

ntRISEp.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.