Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I am working on a Rover with a 2 staged escape pod. Mostly the capsule can dock or undock with the rover or other station parts in the final base on a planet (last picture). The rover has an emergency mechanism to escape if something really bad happened. It comes with a bottom stage to land on planets without an atmosphere and a upper stage to move your Kerbal safely around without the need to go out.

i´ll just leave this here...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Hey,

I am working on a Rover with a 2 staged escape pod. Mostly the capsule can dock or undock with the rover or other station parts in the final base on a planet (last picture). The rover has an emergency mechanism to escape if something really bad happened. It comes with a bottom stage to land on planets without an atmosphere and a upper stage to move your Kerbal safely around without the need to go out.

i´ll just leave this here...

Ooh, I quite like that two stage design. I might have to shamelessly rip it off for some landers I've been planning.

I landed a rover on Duna and got it stuck upside down. The RCS thrusters that I had installed for this purpose were too weak to flip it back over. So I built a front bucket onto the same rover chassis and added some little Rockomaxes to keep it from getting stuck belly up. Then I launched it on an epic mission with the sole purpose of rescuing Jondun Kerman from his terrible driving skills. Well...to flip the rover back over; he's on his own getting back home.

Multimillion-dollar Wrecker

Hey guys. I'm trying to make a rover/plane hybrid for Laythe. I'm planning an expedition with a kethane satellite, kethane base and a vehicle, and i'm thinking I could make some sort of rover/plane hybrid so I can explore the ground and the skies. Doesn't need to get to space, just needs to fly within the atmosphere. This is what I have right now, but I have no clue how I can get it into space and attach it to an interplanetary vessel in a way that I can drop it into the atmosphere without it breaking or floating away. Any ideas?

Edited by KWall24

Hey guys. I'm trying to make a rover/plane hybrid for Laythe. I'm planning an expedition with a kethane satellite, kethane base and a vehicle, and i'm thinking I could make some sort of rover/plane hybrid so I can explore the ground and the skies. Doesn't need to get to space, just needs to fly within the atmosphere. This is what I have right now, but I have no clue how I can get it into space and attach it to an interplanetary vessel in a way that I can drop it into the atmosphere without it breaking or floating away. Any ideas?

The key functions you need are a launch stage, method to secure to a Jool transfer stage, and deorbiting mechanism.

The easy way would probably be to plug a nuclear-powered transfer service module directly to the back end and have it fly to Jool on its own - add orbital stages below that to get it off Kerbin, and fly it as a jet-tipped interplanetary ship. It could use the transfer vehicle as the deorbiter, separate before or after atmospheric entry, and light up the jet engine when you slow down enough to need more thrust to stay aloft.

If it's important to attach it to the same interplanetary machine that's taking everything else to Laythe you'll need to rig a separator that cuts everything else free of the plane and whatever girders and/or struts necessary to keep it from falling apart under stress. If you're attaching it inline with the interplanetary ship's thrust (the easy way) you can plug a little engine and fuel tank on the back to de-orbit, and either more separators or a docking collar to plug that into the interplanetary ship. If you want to launch it from Kerbin as a unit already attached to the ship (in the case of separators, or an option if you use docking collars) you'll need a lot more reinforcement to handle the thrust of launch.

If you launch it separately and dock it in space you'll need the RCS fuel load necessary to dock it and a balanced RCS system.

Personally, I'd probably take a pair of them. Put a radial disconnect on the belly with the cutting side towards the plane, put one on each side of a fuel tank with a 3m docking collar on the top and nuclear engines at the back, balance RCS on the whole thing, and use it as the engine stage for the interplanetary ship. Launch the front part with the other toys you want to bring with you (or docking nodes to attach them to), dock the fuel tank/engine/planes section to that, and send the whole thing off that way. Oh, and put a tiny separator, RCS tank, and inline RCS thruster at the center of mass on the dorsal side of the ship aimed straight "up" and use that as a disposable de-orbiter.

The key functions you need are a launch stage, method to secure to a Jool transfer stage, and deorbiting mechanism.

The easy way would probably be to plug a nuclear-powered transfer service module directly to the back end and have it fly to Jool on its own - add orbital stages below that to get it off Kerbin, and fly it as a jet-tipped interplanetary ship. It could use the transfer vehicle as the deorbiter, separate before or after atmospheric entry, and light up the jet engine when you slow down enough to need more thrust to stay aloft.

If it's important to attach it to the same interplanetary machine that's taking everything else to Laythe you'll need to rig a separator that cuts everything else free of the plane and whatever girders and/or struts necessary to keep it from falling apart under stress. If you're attaching it inline with the interplanetary ship's thrust (the easy way) you can plug a little engine and fuel tank on the back to de-orbit, and either more separators or a docking collar to plug that into the interplanetary ship. If you want to launch it from Kerbin as a unit already attached to the ship (in the case of separators, or an option if you use docking collars) you'll need a lot more reinforcement to handle the thrust of launch.

If you launch it separately and dock it in space you'll need the RCS fuel load necessary to dock it and a balanced RCS system.

Personally, I'd probably take a pair of them. Put a radial disconnect on the belly with the cutting side towards the plane, put one on each side of a fuel tank with a 3m docking collar on the top and nuclear engines at the back, balance RCS on the whole thing, and use it as the engine stage for the interplanetary ship. Launch the front part with the other toys you want to bring with you (or docking nodes to attach them to), dock the fuel tank/engine/planes section to that, and send the whole thing off that way. Oh, and put a tiny separator, RCS tank, and inline RCS thruster at the center of mass on the dorsal side of the ship aimed straight "up" and use that as a disposable de-orbiter.

Wow. Thanks for the reply. I'll probably send it up to space attached to a small RCS probe, throw two on the side of the interplanetary craft, and head to Laythe like that, keeping the RCS probes. I guess I should learn to dock :P

here's my minmus outpost with a four rover set up. Each of the rovers (LP-FRGs) has an active RCS system on board. Definitely worth the extra effort in those low grav places.

u1fS8yt.jpg

UaxQtN9.jpg

XCoHnDZ.jpg

WMcV6Ur.jpg

eZsTRVz.jpg

Can i have the download link to the outpost? great thanks if approved

My latest creation, focused on cramming as much technology into one vehicle.

Includes:

RCS thrusters that aren't powerful enough, even on the Mun (untested on Minmus)

A full Kethane setup –– one radial drill, one 1m converter and 2 radial tanks (80 units total)

2 solar panels for redundancy

Many RTG units

2 External Command Seats

Lights. Many.

Rear-facing rocket engine for impatient people.

Unfortunately:

The original design called for the pilot to be able to look /horizontally/ through the mk1 lander can's bottom window.

Turns out the angle wasn't enough, and he can only view the sky.

Due to my laziness to rebuild the entire craft (almost all the parts are attached to that central unit, duh), the pod has remained as-is: hatch on the bottom and a useless window.

Grip seems lacking on the Mun, even with the weight of this thing. Wants to slide sideways, tip over and die. Includes SAS for flipping vehicle over in low-gravity environments.

Here is my iRover Mk1. It has many missiles and it can carry 4 kerbals around. There is a rocket at the back, to 'go faster' like Jeb said.

Pics:

The Missiles

Very tough!

Link: C:\Users\Gabriel P. Silva\Desktop\iRover Mk1\iRover Mk1.craft

my rover for the Eeloo endurance challenge

I call it The Thing or TT XV-4V

screenshot27.png

top speed 35m/s(on Eeloo)

driving instructions

press 1 before race then set speed to 35/40 using mechjeb

then press space throttle up to full

then press space and throttle down to a 1/2 (liquid fuel draw @1.12) once it reaches 20/25 m/s

Craft file

http://www./download/78...ce_Final.craft

and

the MML (mobile missile launcher) VV-1x

0SFiWMn.png

1-4 fires the missile groups

10 toggles larders and solar panes.

to fire first brake. then press g then ether space to fire all or 1-4

range is 14.7 km in"smart mode"( ie with sas on)

craft file: http://www./folder/ln9ang56crb0b/KSP?

it uses wheels so :P

Edited by briansun1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.