The Astronomy Club, All are welcome!

GOOMH

I created an old thread with the purpose of converting it over to the thread like this but now it is gone so lets start anew shall we? I would love this thread to be a place to discuss all things astronomy related. Whether it be the sights, telescope discussion, or beginner tips feel free to put it here.

Now for a little background I've only recently gotten into astronomy and do all my observations either by naked eye or binoculars. I'm still familiarizing myself with the various constellations and other places of interest. I would to do some amateur astrophotography but don't have a set up (tips guys?). I love just going outside and finding my favorite constellations (definitely Orion) and nebulae. Hopefully soon I'll be able to get to a place dark enough to see the Milky Way in all its glory (I've seen the faint band before but it was very faint). Anyway my question for you; what is your favorite target and why? For me It has to be Orion, it was one of the first constellations I saw that didn't look like a bunch of random stars, plus it contains the amazing Orion Nebula and just is a major facet of the night sky. Orion really started it all for me so it has that sentimental value as well (Look at me getting emotional over stars thousands of light years away!).

When I was a TA for astronomy as a grad. student, my favorite target was always the Hercules globular cluster (M13). It was a great way to teach (and test) telescope skills. It's easy to find, and on a clear night with the little 6-inch scopes we had available the students who were careful could just barely bring things into focus enough to resolve individual stars (rather than just a fuzzy blob) - which gave them a cool reward for their efforts, and made grading easy for me. (Did they sketch some random star field? No points. Did they sketch a fuzzy blob? Half points. Did they sketch individual stars? Yay! Finding ways to make grading easy is the number one agenda when you're a TA.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.