[AAR] Outreach Colony: The home on Duna.

RogueMason

qq2ODVNl.png

Outreach Colony: The Home on Duna

After having decided to finally establish a colony outside the SOI of Kerbin, I commissioned an 'instant colony base' vehicle with the ability to transport 22 Kerbals to another world. This thread will follow their story...

Prologue

Chapter 1: The final preparations

Chapter 2: The journey to Duna

Chapter 3: Duna

Chapter 4: The descent

Chapter 5: The Libra arrives

Chapter 6: The anomaly

Chapter 7: An unexpected objective

Chapter 8: The lifeline prepares

Chapter 9: Arrivals, new and old

Chapter 10: The meeting

Chapter 11: Revelations

Chapter 12: The final evidence -- Part 1

Chapter 13: The final evidence -- Part 2

Chapter 14: Something wicked this way comes

Chapter 15: The race home

Chapter 16: Kerbin -- Part 1

Chapter 17: Kerbin -- Part 2

Epilogue

After the Great April 2013 Forum Incident, this story had been annihilated :(

But now it's back, and it's potentially better than ever, I don't know :P

Any comments and constructive criticism is welcome.

(Oh, and to the moderators, should you happen to be looking around here; is there any chance you could move this thread to the Mission Reports sub-forum when that returns? It would be very convenient :))

Edited by RogueMason

PROLOGUE

KIN Reporter: "...has been called possibly the most ambitious move by the Space Program as of yet. 22 brave Kerbals will be flown to Duna aboard a self-sustaining colony base and will likely remain there for the rest of their lives. Many thought that having bases on the surfaces of Mun and Minmus was controversial, and that controversy has doubled with this latest unveiling. However, the Space Centre has issued a word of comfort from veteran Kerbonaut Jebediah Kerman, who is in orbit aboard a ship destined for Dres:"

Jebediah Kerman: "Nobody need worry themselves about this colony. It's not going to blow up like the las -- it's not gonna blow up, ok?"

KIN Reporter: "We shall soon see the outcome of this mission, and we wish those involved all the luck they need. In other news..."

--------------------------------------------------

Outreach Colony crew:

Commanders:

Lengun

Fertbert

Rover 1:

Corlie

Dansel

Rover 2:

Chadsy

Lubart

Pods:

Philvis

Anzon

Jedzon

Tomney

Jenkin

Jedrod

Neilbe

Gregmon

Hanlin

Kirvey

Raymon

Kirlo

Rorim

Dilfrey

Obton

Jedzer

Libra LBR-030-A:

Lemburry -- Commander

Shepdon

Halemone

CHAPTER 1: THE FINAL PREPARATIONS

UmccZXXl.png

Lengun: "Control, the final transfer vehicle just arrived. Who's aboard?"

KSC: "This OTV is manned by Dilfrey, Obton and Jedzer. Obton almost didn't make the launch, too busy with something to do with his favourite something-or-other..."

Lengun: "Copy that, control. OTV crew, you're clear to come aboard, Pod 4."

Dilfrey: "Roger that Outreach. Guys, suit up, I'm opening the airlock in a moment."

xJn3NhDl.png

Dilfrey: "Hmm."

Lengun: "What's up, Dilfrey?"

Dilfrey: "It's my first time in space, and I'm going to be permanently settled on a world far from here, and just yesterday I was sat watching the first OTV go up to meet you here..."

Lengun: "So you're having second thoughts?"

Dilfrey: "Nah, I'm fine, it's just surreal, that's all..."

Lengun: "Don't worry. We have everything we need for anything that doesn't involve us starting an interplanetary civil war. We'll be fine."

Dilfrey: "Yeah, you're right..."

k2ia80xl.png

Dilfrey: "Those are Burks Atomics NERVA engines, aren't they? I hear they're pretty powerful."

Fertbert: "You'll certainly be hearing them in a few days time when we get going!"

Dilfrey: "And DEMV V's? They're still in service?"

Lengun: "They fit the bill perfectly; simple, compact, and very reliable with the modifications we've made."

NP1uKhPl.jpg

KSC: "De-orbiting OTV-1 now."

Obton: "Well, there goes our ticket home."

Jedzer: "We could always throw you out of the airlock."

Obton: "NO, I'd never even survive to see the ground, I'd burn up in the atmosphere!"

Rorim: "I thought those were just visual effects for now..."

Jedzer: "EXACTLY! Nothing to worry about, eh Obton?"

Obton: "Still, no throwing me out of an airlock, at least not until we get to Duna."

Meanwhile, in a higher orbit...

4wNohrZl.png

KSC: "Libra, our sensors indicate the satellite has rendevouzed with you, can you confirm?"

Lemburry: "Control, we confirm, it's just behind the ship now."

KSC: "Excellent. We need you to get it into a decent equatorial orbit so we'll have a stable comms link to Outreach when they settle on the surface."

Lemburry: "Not a problem. Anything else?"

KSC: " You'll be temporarily acting as a comms link between us and Outreach until you deploy the satellite. After that, just await the next transfer window once you've completed the deployment. Control out."

Lemburry: "Well, thank goodness that tanker came by when it did."

Halemone: "Duna again? When will we get to go to Eve with the Libra?"

Shepdon: "I don't know, but Duna's SOI may as well be our second home now."

Lemburry: "Don't worry guys, once we come back from Duna, I'll call up a fuel tanker and we'll head to Eve.

SUvns4gl.png

AHtkXcel.png

Edited by RogueMason

CHAPTER 2: THE JOURNEY TO DUNA

onD7lf2l.png

KSC: "Outreach, your transfer window is open, you are good to go."

Lengun: "Roger that control. Err, Fertbert, run the checks again."

Fertbert: "Lengun, we've run them twice already, the engines are fine, the structural integrity is fine, and the trajectory is sound. You're worrying too much."

Lengun: "I know, I just don't want this to wind up as a disaster... alright, give me full power to the engines."

Fertbert: "On it. Ignition in 10..."

Gregmon: "So how loud are these going to be?"

A few seconds later...

wGqn6X9l.png

Philvis: "HOLY MOTHER OF KERBIN, WHO FORGOT THE SOUND PROTECTION IN THESE PODS?!"

seAt8icl.png

Fertbert: "Trajectory confirmed, encounter confirmed, we are now enroute to Duna. That wasn't so bad was it?"

Several Kerbals: "MY EARS! -- I THINK I'M DEAF! -- I'LL KILL THOSE ENGINEERS IF I EVER SEE THEM AGAIN!"

Lengun: "Apparently it was for some..."

Chadsy: "We haven't had any issues with noise in our rover, although that's not to say the other rover --"

Corlie: "No, our rover is fine too. Must have just been the pods, poor sods..."

Lengun: "Well, let's hope the damage isn't permanent then..."

Philvis: "WHAT?"

1 day later...

EArAkNGl.png

mXtHBrsl.png

Lengun: "Seeing Kerbin from here is incredible. It's so small..."

Fertbert: "Yeah, makes you think of what we're leaving behind. Duna's going to be a lot different to what we're used to."

Lengun: "Completely different... anyway, depressing thoughts aside, anything you want to do?"

Fertbert: "I did pack a few board games..."

Meanwhile, back in MKO...

wK9HxZcl.png

KSC: "Libra, your transfer window is open. Go at your discretion."

Lemburry: "Copy that control, we'll see you in a few months with a bit of luck. Shepdon, Halemone, final system checks."

Shepdon: "Science, sensors, and life support fully operational. Hull integrity at 99.96%"

Halemone: "Engines and fuel systems are go. We're green across the board."

Lemburry: "Ok, let's plot the course and await the burn point."

wNRVhPZl.png

Lemburry: "Begin transfer burn."

Halemone: "Affirmative, engines are firing."

iaFUj0vl.png

Halemone: "Engine shut down, encounter confirmed."

Lemburry: "When will we arrive?"

Shepdon: "Look's like we'll reach the SOI about 20 days after Outreach. They'll have plenty of time to set up shop before we come along."

Lemburry: "Alright, let's just sit back and enjoy the trip..."

NDeqQgel.png

Edited by RogueMason

CHAPTER 3: DUNA

Di3qKBsl.png

yQOuL3Pl.png

Lengun: "I'd only ever seen it in the pictures from previous missions and telescopes. This is... remarkable."

Fertbert: "Remarkable is an understatement if ever I heard one. Duna is one of the most striking planets in the system, especially with that moon it has there."

Lengun: "That's what I meant, really. It's so different to home."

Fertbert: "Well, we've moved house. This is our home no --"

Hanlin: "Commanders, it's Hanlin, we've got an issue in our pod."

Muffled voices: "OH GOD WHAT IS THAT? -- It looks like a... A MOUSE?! -- A MOUSE, ON A SPACESHIP?!"

Fertbert: "Hanlin, calm them down, we can't do much from here!"

Hanlin: "Guys, calm down! Wait, NO DON'T OPEN THE AIRLOCK!"

*Muffled wrestling*

Hanlin: "Don't try that one again, Raymon! Now, where is it?"

Kirvey: "I have it here..."

Hanlin: "Kirvey...?"

Kirvey: "Yeah, I just noticed..."

Hanlin: "That's a sock with a bit of loose thread..."

Fertbert: "Really, that was it?! A SOCK?!"

Lengun: "I know prolonged travel in a confined space is supposed to take its toll on the mind, but that was excessively silly, even by Kerbal standards..."

11/2 days later...

brqbJg3l.jpg

Fertbert: "That looks like a good landing site."

Lengun: "We'll do our window shopping once the aerobrake is complete. I don't want to have to go down to the surface without our colony here..."

Fertbert: "You're worrying again, Lengun. The colony will be fine, Duna's atmosphere isn't as thick as Kerbin's, plus structural integrity is at 100% still."

Lengun: "Alright, alright, but we should still get prepared."

77FoEcQl.png

Fertbert: "Solar panels retracted, Lengun."

Lengun: "Roger that. All hands, brace for aerobraking!"

A few minutes later...

jwnGwDMl.png

Fertbert: "See, I told you we'd be fine. Hell, we even got a nice Ike-rise to congratulate us on our survival."

Lengun: "Fair enough. Right, let's get into a good equatorial orbit and then we'll pick our spot."

Fertbert: "On it."

Chadsy: "Commanders, just so you know, our rover picked up a signal. It was faint but there was something oddly... uniform about it."

Corlie: "Same in our rover."

Lengun: "We passed over the Interplanet 3 and a Libra Probe, maybe it was those?"

Ferbert: "No, they're on a different frequency to this. The main receiver did pick something up. If it was KSC trying to contact us, it was too weak to have been bolstered by the Libra."

Lengun: "Hmm..."

tK3H2HKl.png

CHAPTER 4: THE DESCENT

xFcQQCbl.png

Fertbert: "Descent trajectory confirmed, we'll land in less than 15 minutes."

Lengun: "Alright. Prepare to jettison the NERVA's."

Fertbert: "-Sniff- Ok..."

PezQUwHl.jpg

Lengun: "Ok, all heat shields are good, activating the descent engine and prepare the 'chutes."

Ferbert: "Goodbye, you wonderfully powerful engines. You will be missed... even if you did deafen half the crew..."

Philvis: "And good riddance! My ears are still ringing from the first burn, never mind the de-orbit burn we just performed!"

Lengun: "All hands, we'll be on the ground in a few minutes, so brace yourselves."

Chadsy: "Just don't drop the rovers, we don't have any 'chutes or engines of our own if you do."

Fertbert: "Riiiight..." *Puts note over docking port controls*

RoRzDErl.jpg

Several Kerbals: "OOF!"

Fertbert: "Lengun, the deployment of the 'chutes then put stress on the structure. Integrity dropped to 88%!"

Lengun: "Well, something DID go wrong then, didn't it!"

Fertbert: "No hull breaches yet, just some strain on the trusses. If the descent engine fails though, we're in trouble!"

rc5mPPWl.jpg

Lengun: "Main 'chute deployment, we're now at a safe descent velocity."

Fertbert: "And thank Kerbin for that. Structural integrity dropped again with main deployment."

Lengun: "Right, engine is ready to fire..."

TjTeUOSl.jpg

Lengun: "Almost..."

Fertbert: "Contact in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1..."

*Clatter inside cockpit upon touchdown*

Fertbert: "Mother of... the camera fell off it's mount."

Lengun: "Fertbert, we just landed 22 Kerbals on Duna, ourselves included, with the most unconventional design as of yet, and you're concerned about the camera?!"

Fertbert: "Well, it did fall pretty close to my head."

Lengun: "Oh, ok then, that's fair enough. Right, let's re-deploy the solar panels and drop the rovers..."

A few hours later...

Fertbert: "I fixed it, I fixed the camera!"

Chadsy: "Well then, get some shots in!"

cuCWnBBl.png

Fertbert: "I wonder if... yep, EVA packs just about work here, guys! Now to get a shot of our new home..."

QvsCBEgl.jpg

CHAPTER 5: THE LIBRA ARRIVES

20 days later...

5hsOwR1l.png

Lemburry: "Damn it, this encounter has gone to hell! Halemone, I need full thrust towards Duna now!"

Halemone: "On it!"

A few minutes later...

Halemone: "Alright, we're on an aerobraking trajectory now, but that stunt used a lot of fuel."

Lemburry: "We'll get KSC to send a tanker if needed... wait a minute, Halemone, we're headed into a retrograde orbit."

Halemone: "Well, we have the fuel to adjust to prograde, but KSC had better get on a long range tanker design for us..."

BLkb6BKl.png

Halemone: "I never get tired of this view..."

Shepdon: "That coming from the guy who was complaining about coming back here a few months ago!"

Halemone: "I don't get tired of Duna, I just want to see Eve with the Libra."

Lemburry: "Don't worry, we'll go to Eve, I promise you. We'll be doing a delivery run of a probe no doubt, but it will be a visit."

JBt8oDol.png

Lemburry: "Ok, prepare for aerobraking."

Shepdon: "This trajectory will have us flying about 50km away from Outreach."

Halemone: "Well, maybe they'll get their binoculars out to see the best ship in service fly by!"

qRHZHfjl.png

MBTYVYel.png

Halemone: "Aerobrake complete."

Lemburry: "Ok, we'll circularise at 140km, and then deploy the satellite. From there, it can get into a higher orbit."

Lengun: "That was quite the stunt you pulled there Libra. I hope our satellite survived that ordeal!"

Lemburry: "Your satellite is perfectly fine, Lengun. Oh, and I seem to recall you flying that base, which has the aerodynamic qualities of a brick might I add, through the atmosphere... TWICE! So, what's that about stunts?"

Lengun: "Alright, you win that one. If you can get the satellite into geostationary orbit above the colony, that would be perfect."

Lemburry: "No can do, there's a rather large rock called Ike in the way."

Lengun: "Ah, it looked like it wasn't moving... not to worry, whatever you can afford, Libra."

Lemburry: "I'll get you something nice. Shepdon, begin deployment."

DO3Qyzhl.png

Shepdon: "Satellite is away, now to jettison that docking port from it..."

4ZLUPbsl.png

Lemburry: "Outreach, KSC, this is Libra, the comms satellite is active, repeat, the satellite is active."

KSC: "Copy that Libra, well done. Just await your next transfer window now."

Lemburry: "Actually, you'll need to send a fuel tanker our way, we're a bit lower than usual."

KSC: "Ah, we noticed the iffy encounter. Not to worry, we'll get something sorted out for you."

D5b7E2Ql.png

Edited by RogueMason

CHAPTER 6: THE ANOMALY

u3lOHRil.jpg

Lemburry: "Outreach, our sensors have detected something on the surface, about 150km north-west of your position. Might want to check it out."

Lengun: "Copy that Libra. Rover 1, you're up!"

Corlie: "I guess we're taking a packed lunch then, eh Dansel?"

I4ZCMb1l.png

Dansel: "150km away... that's going to take us 3 or 4 hours to reach. 4 hours cooped up in here."

Corlie: "You survived 2 months in here, so 4 hours shouldn't be too bad. Besides, we'll take breaks, stretch our legs, do some recording, eat ham sandwiches, and then carry on."

Dansel: "150km is also 50km out of sensor range of Outreach."

Corlie: "We'll have our comms link, so we won't be alone."

XBxx3cfl.png

Corlie: "Looks like a glacial U-shaped valley."

Dansel: "Wouldn't surprise me if Duna had it's own ice ages. By Kerbin's standards, it's still an ice age out there now!"

Corlie: "Well, the polar ice caps are pretty huge here, so it's perfectly reasonable."

10 minutes later...

1VwawELl.jpg

Corlie: "What. The. Kerbin?"

Dansel: "Is that rock... FLOATING?"

Corlie: "I thought I'd seen it all. Clearly space is weirder than I first thought. Let's get some readings and pictures of this thing."

Dansel: "Ok..."

1 hour later...

zsMLoe4l.png

Dansel: "Look, there's another floating rock!"

Corlie: "I see it. Very weird..."

Dansel: "Maybe they have a positive gravioli (anti-graviton in our tongue) core or something that acts against the gravity here?"

Corlie: "Doubtful, they'd have long since been annihilated."

Dansel: "True..."

11/2 hours later...

Yu2ktJol.png

Dansel: "There's a smaller floating rock up ahead. Do these just say 'No' to Duna's gravity or something?"

Corlie: "I don't know, but I intend to find out."

11/2 hours later...

ePy2413l.png

Corlie: "Outreach, we've reached the edge of the crater that this thing is in. Should be about 45 minutes before we get to the centre."

Lengun: "Alright, proceed as usual."

Corlie: "Right Dansel, let's go."

11/4 hours later...

WawGRUXl.png

Corlie: "Umm, Outreach, I think we've found what the Libra spotted..."

Lengun: "Well, what is it?"

Corlie: "It's, umm... a giant stone Kerbal head."

Lengun: "A what?!"

Corlie: "A Kerbal head, you heard right."

MjmV4gLl.jpg

Dansel: "This had better have some interesting information to gather..."

Corlie: "We'll stay the night, that should give us plenty of time to study it."

9loN1l5l.jpg

Edited by RogueMason

CHAPTER 7: AN UNEXPECTED OBJECTIVE

S6GUHKvl.png

5xBYvwFl.png

Lemburry: "... alright control, we've cut comms with Outreach and are headed to Ike. Care to tell us what you're sending us there for?"

KSC: "Alright, listen very carefully. A few months before the Outreach Colony was even conceived, we sent the Zodiac LBR-032 out to drop a probe on Ike. Of course, the first probe crashed and the Zodiac returned home."

Lemburry: "I remember this. They were pretty glum about the outcome of that mission."

KSC: "Anyway, we refuelled them, sent up an improved probe, and sent them back to Ike. This time the probe landed successfully. The Zodiac, however..."

Lemburry: "Control...?"

KSC: "We lost contact with the Zodiac a few days afterwards. We don't have the slightest clue what happened. What we do have is a picture the Commander took whilst on EVA a few days before they went MIA."

LQ9DRVcl.jpg

Lemburry: "So, you're sending us to find out what happened to them?"

KSC: "Precisely. A good place to start looking would be the probe they deployed, that will no doubt have some telemetry and data. Just use the wireless uplink to access it. Control out."

Lemburry: "Pfff... this isn't how I imagined spending our time at Duna this time. First, we're delayed by our lack of fuel, and now we have a secret mission."

Shepdon: "It's certainly a first for us, conducting an investigation in space, which reminds me; sensors and scientific equipment are on the fritz. We'll need those fixing if we're to detect anything unusual, or anything at all."

Lemburry: "Ok, get to it. Halemone, how are we for power?"

Halemone: "We're still getting full solar exposure and all the batteries are fine. Why?"

Lemburry: "I don't want Shepdon getting shocked, so tune it down a bit if you could."

Halemone: "No problem."

1 hour later...

4EtQjLBl.png

lJOKxjXl.jpg

Lemburry: "Begin deceleration burn at the periapsis."

Halemone: "Aye."

Q2FtYeXl.jpg

XGguvlbl.png

Shepdon: "I've managed to get most of the equipment online, just need a few more minutes for the last components.

Lemburry: "Ok. The closest to the probe we're getting is 24km, so adjust accordingly."

gJ8VPfrl.png

Lemburry: "Right, now that we've got our orbit, begin the wireless uplink and get as much information from the probe every time we pass it. I want every detail scrutinised as much as possible.

Shepdon: "Yes boss."

Lemburry: "Boss? Since when are we going all official with the name-calling?"

Shepdon: "Well, this IS a secret mission, so I guess we have to be proper and official."

Lemburry: "Please don't, it makes me feel awkward and egotistical..."

Opg1jUul.png

BxW66zDl.png

Edited by RogueMason

As do I :P

Honestly, I don't have any idea what happened to that ship, but I have a few theories, one of which is winding its way into the story, and the other, well... seems a bit too unlike me to be possible i.e. I ended the flight, which I highly doubt :huh:

CHAPTER 8: THE LIFELINE PREPARES

Back on Kerbin...

Jeb: “We're running fuel duty?! We, the most veteran Kerbonauts, are running FUEL DUTY?!â€Â

Bill: “Jeb, calm down!â€Â

Flight Director: “The Libra needs that fuel or they're not coming home! Jeb, this is your chance for heroics, I thought you'd like this!â€Â

Jeb: "Don't get me wrong, I want to help the Libra, and I also want to see Duna, but fuel duty... it's so degrading, after being the first Kerbal on Mun, and recently Dres too..."

Flight Director: "Don't worry Jeb, this isn't like the short range tanker, it's a little more luxurious than that, and, umm, spacious..."

Jeb: "Spacious? Bill and Bob are coming with me again, aren't they?"

Bill: "What's that supposed to mean?!"

Jeb: "NOTHING, nothing, I'm a little aggravated right now, so ignore any offensive comments, please..."

Flight Director: "Anyway, the ship is ready for launch, the transfer window is just about open, so you'd better go and get sorted."

Jeb: "Alright then, I just need to clear my head. Subjecting myself to that 'End Flight' button on my desk is not what I'd intended it for -- well, it is, but not to be used on me because... ah, forget it."

Bill: "JEB, come on!"

A few hours later, in LKO...

DOXNaz7l.jpg

Jeb: "Well, I think we'll need this ship refueling after that ascent burn, otherwise we're not coming back, nevermind the Libra!"

Bill: "Control, this is Beluga, could you fly a couple of refuelling ships up for us? We're a little too low for a round trip."

KSC: "No problem Bill. How's Jeb?"

Bill: "Much better actually, although I think he's still quite wary around Bob."

KSC: "And with good reason, I suppose... he DID kick the solar panels off the initial Eagle Base unit, after all."

Bob: "Are you guys talking about me?"

Bill: "Just saying what a wonderful person you are..."

Bob: "Yeah right, you're probably still on about the time I kicked that solar panel..."

Bill: "Err..."

A few hours later...

VORdfqxl.png

Jeb: "Aaand we're fully fueled. Let's plot the course and get this show on the road!"

Bill: "At least you're more cheery now."

Jeb: "Well, I've got two giant nuclear engines to play with, haven't I?"

Bob: "Jeb, don't go mad, OK?"

Jeb: "Sure Bob. Just stay away from the sola --"

Bob: "ALRIGHT, I GET IT! That was years ago now, and it was stupid of me!"

9umGAzel.png

O4gVzSUl.png

Bill: "Course set, firing engin --"

Jeb: "Allow me, please..."

Bill: "Ugh..."

A few minutes later...

tbiYPKWl.png

Bob: "Trajectory confirmed, we'll reach Duna in 107 days."

Jeb: "At least it's a shorter and less complex trip than Dres... man that was tricky..."

Bill: "But still, we got there, and it was pretty cool, even if we were subjected to that button on your desk."

Jeb: "Don't remind me..."

Bill: "Alright. So, the Beluga. Interesting ship, huh?"

Jeb: "At the moment, she's little more than a fuel tanker with 2 very nice engines on the back. However, I reckon with a bit of work, we have a very good long range exploration cruiser here. Get that Control?"

KSC: "We'll certainly look into it, thanks for the review Jeb..."

Jeb: "No problem."

pmODGF6l.png

Edited by RogueMason

CHAPTER 9: ARRIVALS, NEW AND OLD

On Duna...

6HfpSMKl.png

Corlie: "Well, that was certainly an interesting night. I could have sworn this thing was humming a bit."

Dansel: "Yeah, me too. I hope it's not radiation..."

Corlie: "The geiger counter on the rover hasn't been any more active than usual, so I think we're fine, unless this thing is giving off sorm sort of exotic new radiation..."

Dansel: "Well, if it is, then I want to get back to Outreach now."

Corlie: "Which is why we're going now."

JJrwIBfl.png

Dansel: "So, how long?"

Corlie: "Well, we pretty much know which direction the base is from here, so maybe... 2 hours?"

Dansel: "Quicker than getting here..."

Corlie: "Be thankful; we ran out of ham sandwiches."

One hour later...

EC5M3N5l.png

Corlie: "Hey, we're in sensor range again, it's plain sailing now!"

11/2 hours later...

K9IaWyzl.png

Corlie: "Outreach, we're home."

Lengun: "Enjoy your stay overnight by that stone head?"

Corlie: "Somewhat. It kept humming in an eerie way, but other than that, we were fine."

Lengun: "Good to hear. How much data did you get?"

Corlie: "A lot. We took pictures from every angle, top to bottom, as well as other bits of information."

Lengun: "We'll get the science team to have a thorough look at it. Well done you two, you deserve a break."

Corlie + Dansel: "Thanks Lengun."

A4GAPMul.jpg

A few months later...

Jeb: "We've entered the SOI. Bill, could you get the trajectory adjustments sorted, seeing as Bob is asleep?"

Bill: "No problem Jeb."

*Button tapping, computerised beeping*

Bill: "There, that should do it; prograde orbit around Duna that will get us into an aerobraking altitude. Burn when we reach the node."

Jeb: "Thanks Bill."

G41awdGl.png

Jeb: "Burn complete."

Bob: "*Sleepily* Ugh... you could have told me you were going to fire the engines..."

Jeb: "Sorry, I didn't think that'd wake you up; you were pretty flat out there."

Bob: "It's ok... *yawns* Just give me fair warning next time and I'll put ear plugs in or something..."

Jeb: "Alright, you go back to sleep now. Might catch some shut-eye myself..."

A few hours later...

CRPaQ7jl.png

Bill: "Trajectory is still good, lets retract the solar panels."

Bob: "On it."

*Jeb squirms in seat over the thought of Bob having control over the solar panels...*

fsC69LXl.png

Bob: "Panels retracted."

Jeb: "Brace for aerobraking."

TZ4iHHkl.png

Bill: "Damn, we're actually going fast enough in Duna's atmosphere to generate plasma?"

Jeb: "Duna wants to put on a show for us, because we are the most veteran guys in the program, after all."

Bob: "But the fact remains that WE'RE GENERATING PLASMA IN DUNA'S ATMOSPHERE!"

Jeb: "Relax, they're just visual effects at the moment."

Bill: "That's not the point. The point is that we may get some structural damages from this aerobrake."

Jeb: "Unlikely. Fuel tankers are some of the most solid vessels in existence, so we should be fine."

Bob: "If you say so..."

A few minutes later...

hptLORTl.png

Jeb: "And done. Extending panels."

Bob: "Phew..."

Jeb: "Hey, it's not like we couldn't be rescued if we crash landed; there's a colony base on the surface, remember? I did tell the public that it wouldn't blow up, after all..."

Bill: "Anyway, let's circularise and then head for Ike. That's where the Libra is at the moment."

Jeb: "Alright then."

Lengun: "Jeb, is that YOU? We all thought you were on Dres!"

Jeb: "Subjected to my own 'End Flight' button. But we got there, alright. Pretty amazing place, although I should have taken a rover."

Lengun: "Well, glad to see you're in one piece. Anyway, what are you here for?"

Jeb: "Refuelling the Libra."

Lengun: "Refuelling? Oh yeah, they had that dodgy encounter a few months ago... well, good luck trying to contact them, because we haven't been able to."

Jeb: "I'll bear that in mind. Thanks Lengun, Jeb out."

Edited by RogueMason

The plot thickens. Now it seems we're looking for the Libra as well as the Zodiac.

I'll point you to the start of this chapter so I don't disappoint you later on:

Chapter 7

If the Libra had gone missing, I'd be pretty mad, because not only would the story be in ruin, but I'd have lost one of the oldest and most awesome of my ships :rolleyes:

I'll point you to the start of this chapter so I don't disappoint you later on:

Chapter 7

If the Libra had gone missing, I'd be pretty mad, because not only would the story be in ruin, but I'd have lost one of the oldest and most awesome of my ships :rolleyes:

True. I was speculating about this little bit, though, from the most recent chapter:

Lengun: "Refuelling? Oh yeah, they had that dodgy encounter a few months ago... well, good luck trying to contact them, because we haven't been able to."

Although maybe I've just been reading too much into that.

Granted, that last bit does make it seem like the Libra is also MIA, and I had sort of intended it to appear so from the colony's perspective, but it is just a little reference to the start of Chapter 7. Sorry for the confusion there :P

CHAPTER 10: THE MEETING

AthXaUwl.png

Bill: “Ike encounter confirmed.â€Â

Jeb: “Good. The sooner we meet the Libra, the better.â€Â

Lengun: “Provided they're still around, that is.â€Â

Jeb: “Oh they're out there, Lengun. You worry too much.â€Â

Fertbert: “Yeah, you worry too much, Lengun. The Libra is probably just conducting scientific surveys while waiting for the next transfer window.â€Â

Lengun: “I hope so...â€Â

11/2 hours later...

rkMNKcHl.png

Jeb: "Libra, do you read?"

Lemburry: "Jeb? Is that you?! What are you doing here buddy?!"

Jeb: "Bringing you some of this good ol' liquid life!"

Lemburry: "I thought you were on Dres. What happened?"

Jeb: "'End Flight' button. We landed on Dres, alright. Pretty cool. Anyway, fuel!"

Lemburry: "Yes please. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but that damn encounter ruined it for us."

Jeb: "I see... well, not to worry, we'll have you back on your feet in no time."

kk9ZmISl.png

Lemburry: "Right, let's get to it. Halemone, cut power to the NERVAs temporarily, I just want RCS thrusters until we're clear of the Beluga."

Halemone: "On it..."

Lemburry: "Shepdon, keep a close eye on our distance from their docking port, I don't want to blow up. I should imagine Jeb doesn't want to blow up either."

Shepdon: "Ok, although I hear Jeb has a thing for explosions, preferably big ones..."

Lemburry: "Thanks for that, Shepdon... Anyway, beginning docking manoeuvres."

jP5QQhSl.png

xkbtP9Gl.png

Lemburry: "Aaaand we're docked."

Shepdon: "ARGH, the ship clock reset itself! Now it's saying the Libra has only been around for 10 seconds!"

Lemburry: "Ugh... nevermind, I'm sure we can re-reset it."

Jeb: "Hey hey, Lem! Long time no see!"

Lemburry: "Good to see you too Jeb!"

Jeb: "Bob, begin pumping the fuel."

Bob: "Roger that!"

Lemburry: "So, Dres? What's it like there?"

Jeb: "It's sort of like Mun, except lighter coloured with a slight brown tint. There's also this massive canyon which I made sure to land by, but I really should have taken a rover..."

Lemburry: "You always were an adrenaline junkie, Jeb."

Jeb: "Yeah... Anyway, what brings you out to Ike?"

Lemburry: "I, uhh..."

Jeb: "Go on, you can tell me!"

Lemburry: "Oh, alright. But you CANNOT tell anyone else..."

One hour later...

7mHhEFFl.png

Lemburry: "Alright, we're clear of the docking port. Let's pick up where we left off."

Jeb: "We'll head off back into Duna orbit. Good luck with your investigation, I promise you my mouth is sealed."

Lemburry: "Thanks Jeb. I'll see you back on Kerbin."

Jeb: "That you will my friend, that you will. Jeb out."

R1B5D7el.jpg

dzuwaddl.jpg

Halemone: "Fuel gauges all show full fuel capacity in every tank, we've got more than enough to return home now."

Lemburry: "Thank Kerbin for that. Control actually managed to pull off a long-range fuel tanker design. I bet Jeb wasn't too happy when he first heard he was running fuel duty though!"

Shepdon: "He'll probably have invoked the old 'most veteran Kerbonauts in the agen --"

*Anomaly detector beeps*

Shepdon: "Anomaly? On Ike?!"

Lemburry: "There aren't any, are there?"

Shepdon: "No, it's a dead rock as far as I'm aware, excluding that thing in the polar orbit we've been tracking."

Lemburry: "Any chance we could get a look at that thing now we're fully fuelled?"

Shepdon: "No, it's far too hard to pull off. It could be any number of different polar orbits. Equatorial is much easier to manage. For now, we'll just have to track this thing from here."

Lemburry: "Alright then, but scan the surface for whatever the detector is only just picking up. It may be useful, either scientifically or as part of our search..."

Edited by RogueMason

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.