[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Glad you're going with MOL. Agena would be nice in the future as it'd allow all of Project Gemini's real missions as well as some (circum)lunar proposals. Mercury/Atlas wouldn't be too high on my priority list. Project Mercury has just one goal, while Project Gemini was much more versatile (or at least planned to be).

sdoc61ani.jpg

MOL is especially an excellent choice since we'll be getting more science gameplay in the next update. For MOL there were various configurations planned, each allowing different kinds of science to be done. That's why I suggest modularizing your MOL components. This would prepare the mod for the next update, allowing different kinds of science being done based on the modules and it'd allow for more variety in MOL designs. The Air Force/NASA hoped to put multiple MOLs into orbit, each doing something different. The image above shows some of the layouts. It includes a telescope module (telescope parts in KSP will be used to discover all the planets and moons), earth resources module (short-range science gathering), habitat module (basically the Hitchhiker), a biological lab (could work similar to the science bay part we've seen in KSP Weekly two weeks ago) and an equipment module (RCS and rocket fuel). Making it modular would also make the design below possible. You'd simply need two of the 2.5 to 2.75 adapters (which could also act as the decoupler that separates the Gemini craft from the MOL), an equipment module and a habitat module.

Big_Gemini.png

That's why I suggest modularizing your MOL components. This would prepare the mod for the next update, allowing different kinds of science being done based on the modules and it'd allow for more variety in MOL designs. The Air Force/NASA hoped to put multiple MOLs into orbit, each doing something different

I dont have time for anything nearly that complicated right now. A simplified version of the one on the bottom would be possible. Looks like the science update is a ways away so I have some time.

Well the modularity means the different modules wouldn't need to be made all at the same time (my suggestion above wasn't intended as: do everything now). The basic MOL configuration would only need four unique parts, with only one of those perhaps having an IVA: an adapter/decoupler (2.5 to however wide your MOL is), a habitat module, an equipment module (RCS/fuel) and an experiment module. With those parts you can make the design below. Don't know how much time you have for this, but if you make it modular from the start it save time if you ever want to expand MOL. Anyway, just suggestions :D. Do what works for you.

MOL_coupe-1dfa4.jpg

You know that the one on the bottom isn't MOL, right? That's Big Gemini. :) It's the same pic I posted some time ago.

Yes, as stated on page 27 when I first gave the preview of how MOL would fit on the rocket.

MOL is going to be a little wider than the standard 2.5m parts so it fits with the BigG crew compartment and gives more room for kerbals. The bottom will still be 2.5m and fit stock parts so you can still do the titan launch.

Which was spawned from the image you mentioned on the page before..

Zr9gB93.jpg

I should probably release Big G as soon as its finished.

MOL is going to take a while and I would like to incorporate the science and research stuff with the next KSP update with it as well.

Work on Big G IVA. It's a cramped 6 person capsule. 2 of the kerbals sit upside down for launch and recovery. doesn't really matter since there is no up in space.

rfNDIh3.jpg

byV6ZoN.jpg

Edited by frizzank

And Wally. It's always Wally.

Indeed - he's the one who bought it, after all...

It's amazing how John Young smuggles a sandwich onto a flight, and they send him to the Moon and give him command of STS-1, while David Scott brings some stamp covers and they never let him fly again. :(

Indeed - he's the one who bought it, after all...

It's amazing how John Young smuggles a sandwich onto a flight, and they send him to the Moon and give him command of STS-1, while David Scott brings some stamp covers and they never let him fly again. :(

I think it was less to do with bringing stamp covers and more to do with the fact that he sold them afterwards.

I think it was less to do with bringing stamp covers and more to do with the fact that he sold them afterwards.

Right. That's it, exactly.

Remember, this was well before the days of the Astronaut Diaper Love Tryst and stuff. This was the days of The Right Stuff and astros were expected to be squeaky clean in the eyes of the public. Wally's entire A7 crew was effectively grounded and none of them flew again after their grumpiness, some of which apparently made it out on open air-ground loops and got overheard by nosy ears.

Right. That's it, exactly.

Remember, this was well before the days of the Astronaut Diaper Love Tryst and stuff. This was the days of The Right Stuff and astros were expected to be squeaky clean in the eyes of the public. Wally's entire A7 crew was effectively grounded and none of them flew again after their grumpiness, some of which apparently made it out on open air-ground loops and got overheard by nosy ears.

Well, Wally was never the easiest bloke to get along with. And in my personal dealings with him in the 1980's, I found him to be a bit of a jerk.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.