[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

So this is a rather embarrassing question but I've been running into considerable trouble with launching an accurate Mercury-Atlas (read: with only two Verniers). Each time I launch the verniers begin to move around in an increasingly erratic manner around t+30 causing the booster to pitch over and spin itself apart. I can get it to launch just fine with additional verniers but I'm going for an accurate NASA recreation and I sort of want to get this right. 

Sorry if this has been asked before and great mod, it has given me immense joy! 

^ Yeah the Mercury-Atlas in this mod is kind of iffy, and even more so if you happen to have FAR installed.

The main reason you can't control it is because the Verniers can't actually control the rocket, and with the main engines having no gimbals, you're essentially flying the rocket with no real ability to steer it. 

Easiest way to deal with it is to explore one of these options:

1. Skip Mercury-Atlas.

2. Clip some SAS modules into the rocket somewhere. (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't)

3. Add Wings to bring the COL down below COM and use the Wings for steering.

Cheers guys that might help! It has been liquiding me off for months that I can't get the original Atlas to fly. My best result so far was with 8 verniers added near the top of the main tank and near the booster. 

CobaltWolf I might have missed something here but I can't find any gimbal settings for the booster engines. On the subject of gimbals and Fasa, is there a prefered setting for them because most of the engines are all over the place if you don't change the default setting :P

(God I feel so noobish asking this considering I've been playing KSP for months now)

Anyway thanks for the help! :D

33 minutes ago, Tommy Atkins said:

CobaltWolf I might have missed something here but I can't find any gimbal settings for the booster engines. On the subject of gimbals and Fasa, is there a prefered setting for them because most of the engines are all over the place if you don't change the default setting :P

The FASA Atlas does not have gimbals. I am honestly really unclear as to why it does not, though granted my initial research did certainly give the impression that they didn't. It was only after several people who know a lot more than me corrected me on it. Personally I would recommend checking out the Atlas in my own mod, Bluedog Design Bureau. I would feel bad but Frizzank has said before that he wants people to replace FASA soooo :P

ALTERNATIVELY. If you are a) attached to FASA and/or b) don't want to build a new craft, what you could do is find the configs for the sustainer and boosters. Once you do that, paste the lines of code below into the cfgs and it *should* work unless they are set up very strangely. Make sure they're above the last line in the config, with the closing '}' bracket. It will give the engines gimbaling, but the engine bells/nozzles probably won't move. The exhaust plume will.

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGimbal
		gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
		gimbalRange = 6
	}

Yea i wasn't really concerned with accuracy, just playability, but with 1.1 that got ruined as well so now its neither.

Per the new License anyone is free to do as they like with FASA as long as we are credited as the original authors so feel free to make your own branch just call it something else please....

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The FASA Atlas does not have gimbals. I am honestly really unclear as to why it does not, though granted my initial research did certainly give the impression that they didn't. It was only after several people who know a lot more than me corrected me on it.

The outside engines on the Atlas didn't have gimbals apparently, but the "inside" did.  What's more, the pumps for that inside engine ran the verniers as well.  The outside engines were jettisoned with some fairing after weight dropped enough for the central engine to be sufficient, leaving just the gimballed, vernier assisted engine.  So, gimbal or not gimbal is kinda correct either way.

4 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

The outside engines on the Atlas didn't have gimbals apparently, but the "inside" did.  What's more, the pumps for that inside engine ran the verniers as well.  The outside engines were jettisoned with some fairing after weight dropped enough for the central engine to be sufficient, leaving just the gimballed, vernier assisted engine.  So, gimbal or not gimbal is kinda correct either way.

the boosters didn't vernier? Now I'm confused. Which atlas was that for.?

EDIT: Posted half awake at 6 AM before falling back asleep.

Edited by CobaltWolf

15 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The FASA Atlas does not have gimbals. I am honestly really unclear as to why it does not, though granted my initial research did certainly give the impression that they didn't. It was only after several people who know a lot more than me corrected me on it. Personally I would recommend checking out the Atlas in my own mod, Bluedog Design Bureau. I would feel bad but Frizzank has said before that he wants people to replace FASA soooo :P

ALTERNATIVELY. If you are a) attached to FASA and/or b) don't want to build a new craft, what you could do is find the configs for the sustainer and boosters. Once you do that, paste the lines of code below into the cfgs and it *should* work unless they are set up very strangely. Make sure they're above the last line in the config, with the closing '}' bracket. It will give the engines gimbaling, but the engine bells/nozzles probably won't move. The exhaust plume will.

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGimbal
		gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
		gimbalRange = 6
	}

Heh both the FASA one with this fix and the one from your own mod fly beautifully :D Thank you so much! 

Frizzank, I just want to say thanks for creating this mod, it has taught me much and brought me a lot of fun! :D

Edited by Tommy Atkins

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

the boosters didn't vernier? Now I'm confused. Which atlas was that for.

All the original Atlases except A I think.  But I'm not what you'd call "knowledgeable" about this.  I'm going off some gimballing comments I found on the Internet.

Whats even more fun is the fact that because it was still early in the space game, the engineers learned something significant almost every launch. This means that even though they were the same ships many had significant variations between them that incorporated improvements that they learned from the previous launches.

This is just the Mercury versions, you can read about the changes they made per mission. Some are small changes others are not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Atlas

On 6/19/2016 at 8:28 PM, frizzank said:

Yea i wasn't really concerned with accuracy, just playability, but with 1.1 that got ruined as well so now its neither.

Per the new License anyone is free to do as they like with FASA as long as we are credited as the original authors so feel free to make your own branch just call it something else please....

Wow! I thought you handed it off to the RO Cats?

Either way, glad to see you're still around. I really really enjoyed this pack. Fantastic job all around.:)

Edit:

FYI: License in OP still says ARR?

Edited by Deimos Rast

8 hours ago, frizzank said:

Whats even more fun is the fact that because it was still early in the space game, the engineers learned something significant almost every launch. This means that even though they were the same ships many had significant variations between them that incorporated improvements that they learned from the previous launches.

This is just the Mercury versions, you can read about the changes they made per mission. Some are small changes others are not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Atlas

Yeah, a bit surprised they never got to an Atlas Z.  Many of the early rockets were unique builds each time.

4 hours ago, NemesisBosseret said:

@frizzank    hey is nathankell taking over the mod or are you still its godly overloard?

I believe @frizzank has handed over stewardship to @NathanKell, who is coordinating future work, although probably not doing the work solo.  Frizzank not having time to spare to keep maintaining the mod isn't the same as not having the time to occasionally respond to things on the forums.

http://i.imgur.com/3DsR06F.png

These are my mods. I am only familiar with a few of them. I have been playing mostly-stock KSP since 0.24 and have recently enhanced my spacefaring experience. I want to know if I am just blind or does FASA have to be manually plugged in? I dislike mixing manually-plugged mods over ones with handy-dandy installers like CKAN unless there's no other choice.

I know this isn`t updatet for KSP 1.1.3 but most of it works for me. Only the Gemini-Pod: On Descent it has only a Descent-rate of 30-40m/s without Parachute. Do anyone know what I must change in the .cfg?

On 6/20/2016 at 4:08 AM, Virtualgenius said:

Probably needs a third to take up the mantle with the Nathankell busy with squad stuff he probably cant dedicate the time to maintaining this as well as his other stuff just speculating of course

Nathankell is not working on this alone so it doesn't really need more people releasing conflicting edits to the mod. I already fixed all of the collider issues with the concave colliders on parts and fixed a lot of config errors. As I've mentioned before in this thread, the mod is maintained here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/FASA-RO

Despite being on the RO github it is not RO only, it still has the stock configs and uses mm configs in RO to overwrite them, so you can download what's there and use it in stock.

Edited by raidernick

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you attach decouplers under the FASA engines, in order to make stages? I tried to attach the stock "TR-18A Stack Decoupler" underneath the "Vulcain 2" engine and it wont let me attach it.

On 7/4/2016 at 1:40 PM, raidernick said:

Nathankell is not working on this alone so it doesn't really need more people releasing conflicting edits to the mod. I already fixed all of the collider issues with the concave colliders on parts and fixed a lot of config errors. As I've mentioned before in this thread, the mod is maintained here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/FASA-RO

Despite being on the RO github it is not RO only, it still has the stock configs and uses mm configs in RO to overwrite them, so you can download what's there and use it in stock.

I will put this info on the front page as well in case someone actually reads it...

Delete the plugin folder and manually update RPM and it works fine with 1.3

Still has the collision issues with parts so RO version is your best bet.

Edited by frizzank

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.