The New Bobcat Colonization Challenge

Since half a year of forum activity was lost, so too was the epic Bobcat Colonization Challenge. Let's start that over, shall we? I'm sure Sequence would approve. DISCLAIMER: I am not actually part of the Bobcat team, I just really like their parts.

With the massive devestation to Kerbin's ecosystem caused by constant rocket launches, Kerbalkind has begun to look to the skies above for potential sites for their race to inhabit. Their solar system is ripe for the picking with planets and moons, and Bobcat Industries has developed a full range of colonization tools to help! Grab the HOME Start Kit and join in on the fun!

Some other add-ons this challenge endorses directly:

The Kethane Pack

Charlie's Deli and Shoe Store (HOME 2m)

DEMV Mk.1 Archer

DEMV Mk.2 Pretorian

DEMV Mk.3 EX

DEMV Mk.4 RAT

DEMV Mk.5 ANT

MPSS Nautilus

Hooligan Labs Airship Pack

And a few recommended add-ons:

Kerbal Crew Manifest (makes loading ships for launch much easier)

Firespitter Propeller Plane Parts (mostly recommended for airships)

Merlin's Resource Transfer System (allows for resource transfer without docking)

Quantum Fuel System (as above, but requires Kerbals be present to set up the transfer)

Basic Rules

Colonies are considered planet/moon-wide. You can't have two colonies on one planet/moon (your biggest one will count if you do), but you can have colonies with multiple sites as long as they're close enough; more on that shortly.

A colony site needs a minimum of 2 resident Kerbals and 1 HOME habitat to count.

Distance between any given colony building cannot exceed 1KM, except in the case of when you have a HOME recon with included DEMV ANT; then the distance can be as much as 10KM away (up to 5KM away with any other kind of DEMV). In these cases, any location further than 1KM away from other locations is considered to be a different site.

Colonists can't hitch a ride into space inside of a Habitat or Recon module. That would just be mean.

New to this iteration: scale counts for something! What's the point of having all of those recons if everything's gonna be next door to one another, right? Special bonuses are now on offer for colonies that take full advantage of distance.

Of course, you have to post proof of colony: shots of each site (so I can make out what's there in them, please), and (if you have multiple sites) a shot (or shots if it's big enough) of the colony from the map view. You also have to prove that you've achieved any bonuses if you want credit for them, naturally.

You can re-submit colonies you made from the last challenge if you really want to; not like I can confirm if you're doing that, after all. Personally I think it'd be more fun to start anew, though.

And finally, please don't use cheat parts or just hack the save file. (MechJeb is not cheating, nor are tools like Protractor, Kerbal Engineer Redux, and other information-related add-ons.)

Scoring

Here's what various modules are worth:

HOME Habitat - 15 points (must have at least 1 resident!) (no site limits)

HOME Recon - 10 points (must have a DEMV ANT!) (no site limits)

HOME Powerplant - 15 points for the first; 10 points for each additional one (maximum of 1 per site)

DEMV Mk. 1, 2, 3 or 4 - 10 points (maximum of 4 cumulative per site)

Charlie's Deli and Shoe Store (HOME 2m) - 5 points (maximum of 1 per site)

Each resident Kerbal on the ground (ie. they have a HOME habitat they can live in) is worth 1 point.

Each distinct site of your colony (ie. more than 1KM apart and linked by at least one Recon/ANT) is worth an extra 10 points.

As well, you get a small bonus for the body you build upon:

Mun: 10

Minmus: 15

Eve: 30

Gilly: 40

Duna: 35

Ike: 45

Dres: 60

Jool*: 70

Laythe: 90

Vall: 80

Bop: 75

Pol: 75

Tylo: 100

Moho: 90

Eeloo: 120

* - Jool colonies will require Hooligan Labs airships if you want them to not instantly destroy themselves.

Bonuses

Here are a few extras you can rack up points on. All are one-time bonuses per colony, unless otherwise noted.

Eye in the Sky (100 points) - Place a geosynchronous station or station plus satellite array in orbit above your colony. The station must have at least 1 resident Kerbal and 1 HOME habitat to count. You can use a Bobcat MPSS Nautilus in place of the HOME habitat if you want.

Gas Guzzler (50 points) - Set up a functional Kethane mining operation for your colony. You can also receive this bonus if you have a HOME Admin Module set up and functioning on an atmospheric body.

Corporate Loyalty (50 points) - Show your support for Bobcat Industries by having at least one of each of the following: DEMV Mk.1, DEMV Mk.2, DEMV Mk.3 EX, DEMV Mk.4 RAT, DEMV Mk. 5 ANT, HOME Command Pod, HOME Habitat Module, HOME Recon Module, HOME Powerplant Module, and Charlie's Deli and Shoe Store (HOME 2m). (Any of these that don't work with the current version you're running is exempt.)

Master of the Kerbalverse (500 points) - Place a colony on every planet and moon in the game (except Kerbin; yes, you have to put one on Jool too!).

Around the World (special) - Create a colony which spans the entirety of the body in question. This can potentially be tricky for bodies with oceans, so you have to consider that as well. The point values for this depend on the body:

Bop, Pol, Gilly: 100

Minmus, Ike: 200

Mun, Dres, Eeloo: 400

Duna, Moho, Vall: 750

Tylo, Eve, Laythe: 1000

Jool: 2000

Opt Out Clause (50 points) - Provide all of your colonists with the potential to return to Kerbin. You don't have to actually return them, but you must provide them with the means. This includes any station-bound Kerbals!

A Site to Behold (50 points) - Construct your colony at or within reasonable visible distance of an anomaly. Anomalies also include unique terrain features such as the Moho polar pit and Dres canyon. Each anomaly is scored separately, so if you're crazy enough to span your colony across the gap between anomalies, the Mun can be pretty profitable!

I am very open to creative new ideas for potential bonuses as well! Let the colonization begin anew...

Kerbal Colony Hall of Fame

gm537:

- Mun: Enzo, Modena, Maranello, Testarossa, Dino, GTO, California, Italia, & LaFerrari (2398)

Total - 2398

skytower256:

- Mun: Rubidium (197)

- Minmus: Oxygen (92)

- Eve: Ruthenium (57)

- Gilly: Astatine (117)

- Duna: Caesium (112)

- Ike: Cerium (167)

- Moho: Lithium (167)

- Dres: Promethium (87)

- Laythe: Krypton (117)

- Vall: Uranium (152)

- Tylo: Sodium (127)

- Bop: Neon (202)

- Eeloo: Xenon (147)

Total: 1741

xtremespino:

- Mun: Opportunity (137)

- Minmus: Challenge (354)

- Gilly: Courage (167)

- Duna: Inspire (72)

- Ike: Spirit (160)

- Dres: Curiosity (237)

- Jool: Endeavor (97)

- Vall: Hope (207)

Total: 1431

hawkinator:

- Mun: Artemis; 2nd update (137)

- Minmus: Apollo; 2nd update; 3rd update (82)

- Eve: Aphrodite; 2nd update (74)

- Gilly: Hephaestus; 2nd update (84)

- Duna: Ares (62)

- Ike: Athena (72)

- Moho: Hermes (117)

- Dres: Hestia (87)

- Laythe: Poseidon (117)

- Vall: Hera (80)

- Bop: Dionysus (102)

- Pol: Demeter (102)

- Eeloo: Eos (147)

Total: 1290

legogromit007:

- Mun: Vostok Baza (166)

- Minmus: Vesta Baza (88)

- Duna: Orcus Baza (319)

Total: 573

uperglu:

- Dres: Proton (101)

- Eve: Neutron (67)

- Jool: Nucleus (101)

Total: 269

ruiluth

- Mun: Friendship (131)

- Duna: Hope Base (124)

Total: 255

soranno:

- Duna: Nameless (159)

- Minmus: Nameless (72)

Total: 231

Gurba:

- Mun: Mun Base Alpha (166)

Sky Render:

- Mun: Example Colony (166)

Andellmere:

- Mun: Wingtip; 2nd update (150)

TUFOM:

- Laythe: Laythe Home Base (119)

COL.Neville:

- Mun: Nameless (115)

Aracniphobia:

- Mun: Nameless (106)

Edited by SkyRender
Revision for version changes

I'm glad this thread has been remade. I fully intend to put am entry in this time!

Also how many points for a home admin module?

Since HOME Admin Modules are only useful on atmospheric bodies, none. However, you can replace the Kethane rig with a Home Admin Module setup on atmospheric bodies and get the Gas Guzzler bonus with a lot less overhead. (Let's face it, Kethane is pretty complicated by comparison!)

Just to get this started, here's an example colony site I threw together this morning.

example_colony1.jpg

Here's the Kethane miner, shown drilling up some Kethane.

example_colony2.jpg

And here, a short while later, is the assembled colony site. The smaller ship currently in focus is a Crew Bus, designed to carry 6 Kerbals back to Kerbin if necessary. It can be refueled by the Kethane miner thanks to Merlin's Resource Transfer System (though I could have also used the Quantum Fuel Transfer System), meaning it's 100% Kerbin-return-capable. I even put parachutes on it!

example_colony3.jpg

This shot doesn't really serve any purpose relating to the challenge. I just wanted to get a shot of the colony up close at night, because I really like the mood lighting effect it gives off.

Example Colony Score

Mun (10)

1 Habitat (15)

1 Recon (10)

1 Power Plant (15)

6 Resident Kerbals (6)

1 Site (10)

Gas Guzzler (50)

Opt Out Clause (50)

Total: 166

Now, let's see what you can do to top that!

Edited by SkyRender

The beginnings of Artemis Mun Base. (I like Greek mythology names for stuff)

SBNR5jn.png

JMfamr2.png

Mun (10)

2 Hab modules: (30)

4 Resident Kerbals (4)

1 Site (10)

A Sight to Behold (50)

Total: 104 points

Next up: Minmus! I plan on setting up small outposts in a lot of places, and then try to build them up, that way I'm not just doing the same thing all time.

Example Colony Score

Mun (10)

1 Habitat (15)

1 Recon (10)

1 Power Plant (15)

6 Resident Kerbals (6)

1 Site (10)

Gas Guzzler (50)

Opt Out Clause (50)

Total: 171

Now, let's see what you can do to top that!

I get 166 when I add that up on my calculator, you might want to double check that.

(edit) I see what you did there, you sneakily fixed it while no one was looking :P

Edited by hawkinator

Hoorah! For this challenge! I was running out of odd things to build and this provides me with a good set of goals. Thank you for that!

Currently have a satellite orbiting the Mun to find Kethane deposits near the sites. Just wish I'd remembered to send a MapSat with it so I could see the anamolies more easily...

Stupid kraken ate my Minmus Colony. Grrrrrr.

Gotta be careful of that Kraken. Remember, when cancelling launches, always let the camera pan around to the front of your ship before you hit End Flight, or it'll end the flight you sent up before that instead!

Just wish I'd remembered to send a MapSat with it so I could see the anamolies more easily...

If you fly low (ie. 20KM up or so), you can literally eyeball it.

Gotta be careful of that Kraken. Remember, when cancelling launches, always let the camera pan around to the front of your ship before you hit End Flight, or it'll end the flight you sent up before that instead!

Yeah, the kraken I'm dealing with seems to live around the north pole of Minmus... I've been trying to build my base there, but strange things have been randomly happening to the ships...

Is there a good guide on how to use the home?

I don't know, but if you look at my design in post number 8, you can see that simple tends to work rather well with HOME modules. This and a few simple variants can build bases on pretty much everything, if you can get them there.

Remember that HOME modules carry fuel, so you don't have to add any extra in order to land on mun-like bodies.

Edited by hawkinator

Allright, Progress!! (Warning, this post has a lot of images!!)

The begginings of Minmus base Apollo...

RaTNa2c.png

ndEeasK.png

Also, I set down hab modules on Eve and Duna.

Eve base Aphrodite begins!

0FXzDWU.png

YV8Si8G.png

Eve reentries are beautiful to watch.

Duna base Ares!!

1mbP9Yy.png

Score:

Minmus- (15)

- 2 Habitat modules (30)

- 4 Kerbals (4)

- 1 Site (10)

Subtotal: 59 points

Eve- (30)

- 1 Habitat module (15)

- 2 Kerbals (2)

- 1 Site (10)

Subtotal: 57 points

Duna- (35)

- 1 Habitat module (15)

- 2 Kerbals (2)

- 1 Site (10)

Subtotal: 62 points

Mun: 104 points

New Total: 282 points

Edited by hawkinator
fixed scoring errors.

Your totals are slightly off: you forgot the site bonus. The proper scores are reflected in the tally up top, however. Also, you parked those Minmus bases really close! I'm amazed you didn't break any solar panels...

Thanks, yeah I kinda wanted them to be close, and with Minmus's low gravity, it's pretty easy to manuever. I almost set it down on top of the other one a couple of times, which would have not ended well. Hopefully I will be able to get close enough on Eve. Accurate parachute landings are kinda tricky, in a recent test I got 2.5 kilometers away from a target, so I may have to bring an ANT to Eve or something like that.

Also, the OP says that different sites can be connected by ANTs, What about mk 1's, 2's, and the RAT? Can having one of those present connect different sites?

Edited by hawkinator

Thanks, yeah I kinda wanted them to be close, and with Minmus's low gravity, it's pretty easy to manuever. I almost set it down on top of the other one a couple of times, which would have not ended well. Hopefully I will be able to get close enough on Eve. Accurate parachute landings are kinda tricky, in a recent test I got 2.5 kilometers away from a target, so I may have to bring an ANT to Eve or something like that.

Also, the OP says that different sites can be connected by ANTs, What about mk 1's, 2's, and the RAT? Can having one of those present connect different sites?

The original challenge had nothing for that, but I can probably engineer a contingency for that in. The basic idea is that the Recon acts as a maintenance garage for the ANT, ergo it's a reliable long-distance vehicle whereas others are not as much so. But of course, gameplay-wise this isn't the case at all...

The original challenge had nothing for that, but I can probably engineer a contingency for that in. The basic idea is that the Recon acts as a maintenance garage for the ANT, ergo it's a reliable long-distance vehicle whereas others are not as much so. But of course, gameplay-wise this isn't the case at all...

Interesting, I always thought of it as the other way around, with the mk 1 and 2 being for long distance trips with lots of kerbals/cargo, the mk 4 being for medium range trips, and the ANT, being the smallest of them all, for short range mobility. The ANT is also the slowest, meaning that a long distance trip with one is going to take a very long time, and since it only has space for 2 kerbals, your time will not have done you much good. The RAT only has space for two as well, but it goes a lot faster, and of course the mk 1 and mk 2(crew config) have a metric crapton of seats, so even if the trip takes a while, you can get a lot of kerbals where they need to go.

Edited by hawkinator

The original gave nothing for the ANT (other than corporate loyalty) since it's easy to drop a buttload of them. I think it only extended the distance between craft if one of the craft was a recon with... I can't remember which DEMV, but the ANT didn't count if I remember correctly.

As I recall, in the original challenge, having any kind of transport (mk I, mk II, mk IV, or mk V) extended the maximum distance between modules to 10 km. The ANT itself wasn't worth anything, but you couldn't have a recon without an ant in it. Of course, things are a little different here, since we're talking about distinct "sites" with a radius of 1 km.

In the original challenge, there was no penalty or bonus for having multiple colony sites, they were still considered part of the colony, as long as you had some form of transportation for the residents.

Sites are kind of a two-fold idea. One, it keeps the DEMV collection of the colony somewhat in check (I was notorious for landing loads of Mk. 1s in my colonies and turning them into parking lots). And two, it encourages spreading out beyond just one huge framerate-killing central location (which 9/10ths of the colonies in the previous challenge had). The original challenge's rules issued that you needed a recon, but that it didn't necessarily need an ANT in it, to have the 10KM thing. Just having DEMVs wasn't even accounted for in the ruleset, amazingly enough.