KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

On February 27, 2017 at 10:50 AM, ISE said:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K Quad Core Processor (8MB Cache, 4.5GHz-4.5GHz) 91W

• CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) High Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler

• RAM: 32GB DDR4-2800 | Hard Drive: 512GB Intel 600p NVMe SSD (up to 1775MB/s read and 560MB/s write) + 4TB Solid State Hybrid Hard Disk Drive

• Graphics Card: NVIDIA (MSI Brand) Geforce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5 | Motherboard: MSI Z270A

Will this work? 

Still can someone tell me how you think this set up would run on full settings and mods? :cool:

Edited by ISE

1 hour ago, ISE said:

Still can someone tell me how you think this set up would run on full settings and mods? :cool:

You'll upgrade from a piece of overpriced laptop hardware that was built for web browsing and office work. Basically any normal PC hardware will probably blow your mind.

51 minutes ago, Harry Rhodan said:

You'll upgrade from a piece of overpriced laptop hardware that was built for web browsing and office work. Basically any normal PC hardware will probably blow your mind.

Actually I've had three computers, not one was able to work at my standards .... this computer is over powered and thats the way I want it. 

1 hour ago, ISE said:

Actually I've had three computers, not one was able to work at my standards .... this computer is over powered and thats the way I want it. 

Tomorrow we'll see how Ryzen is... maybe a 1800X overclocked would be better than the i7 7700k...

26 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Tomorrow we'll see how Ryzen is... maybe a 1800X overclocked would be better than the i7 7700k...

trueeeee, but anything is better than my current mac lol 

13 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

I mean, an A4 6100 or whatever it is is worse.

Ya this new computer I just ordered is a huge upgrade from mac. Now I'm going windows :D and lots of ram, clock time, and got me nividia 

3 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

yeah, I'm waiting for that event too, there might be a couple of things with ryzen that can make it great for ksp like:

- disabling some cores - so you can overclock the rest higher and dissipate heat more efficiently

- overclocking single cores higher than others - good for main ksp thread/single vessel physics that cannot be multithreaded efficiently

- overclocking / bios / tuning setups for different software so you could run ksp with specific cpu setup - but that's probably not possible on the fly and you would have to restart computer and tweak settings in bios

On the other hand it seems that Ryzen's IPC is probably worse by 5% than skylake and then memory latency is also worse than Intel's so overclocked 7700k will still be king for KSP for the long time;)

Edited by riocrokite

On 27/02/2017 at 4:35 PM, ISE said:

Explain to me just what exactly would be ideal to run KSP comfortably with RSS, RSSVE, and anything. What type of computer, OS, performance. Whats Ideal for this?? Cheap, or not, just tell me what would be ideal. Because I'm telling you, my current computer can't run it very well at all. 

What research did you do yourself and what conclusions did you draw?

Ryzen's IPC is supposedly only 6.2% lower than Kaby Lake, which is still really good. Disable down to 4c/8t on an 1800X and you'll likely get higher single-core performance than a 7700k, but it depends how the overclocking is on it.

Anyways who's hyped for RX Vega?

6 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Ryzen's IPC is supposedly only 6.2% lower than Kaby Lake, which is still really good. Disable down to 4c/8t on an 1800X and you'll likely get higher single-core performance than a 7700k, but it depends how the overclocking is on it.

Anyways who's hyped for RX Vega?

Copulate Vega, Ryzen is where it's at. After years of stagnation, we might finally see a competitive CPU market. Everyone will benefit from that, with the exception of Intel.

I guess we will know for sure soon enough.

Edited by Camacha

12 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Ryzen is where it's at. After years of stagnation, we might finally see a competitive CPU market. Everyone will benefit from that, with the exception of Intel.

I guess we will know for sure soon enough.

Yup. I can't wait! Just eighteen short hours until NDAs are lifted...

Found that macs are not the best OS for tsp, and also fund out what it really takes to make it all work with no trouble.

16 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

How much did it turn out to be?

Around 2,255 US ($) 

So, the Ryzen benchmarks are out. To bad it cant shine in games, but for applications and server stuff it seems like a real killer. Energy efficency looks quite good, overclocking not so much...

14 minutes ago, Elthy said:

So, the Ryzen benchmarks are out. To bad it cant shine in games, but for applications and server stuff it seems like a real killer. Energy efficency looks quite good, overclocking not so much...

Yeah, was just looking at an article on r/amd. The R5 series might be better for gaming, but as a workstation it's great.

14 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Yeah, was just looking at an article on r/amd. The R5 series might be better for gaming, but as a workstation it's great.

4 hours ago, Elthy said:

So, the Ryzen benchmarks are out. To bad it cant shine in games

To be honest, I think it is doing pretty well. It mostly seems to be up there with the heavy hitters like the 6900K. When it has a harder time compared to the Intels, it generally is in high frame rate situations or with a difference of a few frames. Of course, it would have been better if it outperformed the Intels across the board, but due to the exact conditions I think the practical implications are fairly negligible. It does, however, make me very excited about the next generations and optimizations. Whatever the case, it seems to make a great chip for enthusiast gamers as it stands :) It will be most interesting to see what the upcoming 5 and 3 series will do.

There are rumours of BIOS/UEFI updates making a huge impact of up to 25% and some other reasons that performance might improve, but that might very well be wishful thinking of the AMD oriented crowd. The results, as they stand, are pretty snazzy.

4 hours ago, Elthy said:

, but for applications and server stuff it seems like a real killer. Energy efficency looks quite good, overclocking not so much...

It seems to top out at 4,1 GHz, with 4 GHz on most chips.

2 hours ago, Camacha said:

There are rumours of BIOS/UEFI updates making a huge impact of up to 25% and some other reasons that performance might improve, but that might very well be wishful thinking of the AMD oriented crowd. The results, as they stand, are pretty snazzy.

All right, the smoke seems to be clearing a little bit on this one. Several reviewers have been communicating with each other the past week and found significant differences between their gaming benchmarks. It appears that a lot of reviewers have used a pre-release BIOS/UEFI. A few used the most recent versions, which yield the aforementioned performance gain. There are other reports that turning off SMT (hyperthreading) yields fairly decent gains in certain games. It is unclear what this means from a technical point of view exactly.

After the disappointment Bulldozer was, I was prepared for a let down, but AMD seems to be making good on their promises. The last time I was this impressed by a release was when Intel released its Core series almost a decade ago. The fact that people are finding significant performance gains as we speak, teasing ever more out of these new chips, is exciting for everyone.

I think the disappointed people were the ones that thought it'd beat the i7 7700k in single-core. I thought that earlier, but the R7 is supposed to be a competitor to the i7 Extremes, not mainstream i7s and i5s where single-core performance is the goal. So I'm not really disappointed. R5 and R3 will be mainly for gaming.

With all the current issues its propably better to wait another 2 months before drawing a conclusion. A lot of testers also didnt seem to have much time, the biggest hardware magazine in Germany got to start testing on 28.2...

4 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

R5 and R3 will be mainly for gaming.

Dont expect much higher clocks of those, they arent realy limited by thermals. The sweet spot seems to be around 3.8-4 Ghz, above that you need extreme voltage (which destroys the good efficency).

Also im in for a small bet: I think that in 3-4 years the current ryzen processors (with 8 cores) will still be good for gaming, while most quadcore i7s will be obsolete...

36 minutes ago, Robotengineer said:

Would KSP benefit from the multicore performance of Ryzen?

No. Even though multithreaded performance has improved a little, KSP is still heavily single threaded.

11 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Not too much. A 7700k overclocked to 5.0GHz is the best option there is right now.

One might even argue that a simpler chip overclocked to the hilt can do the same for KSP on a smaller budget. The 7700K is massive overkill.

Edited by Camacha