KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

6 hours ago, qzgy said:

I notice you have a link to microsoft for like 140 dollars. Can I direct you to this video?

I see you have a video describing how to give microsoft like 20 dollars. Can I direct you to this website? :P

I have tried it, and they are actually free...

Edited by steve_v

On 30/05/2017 at 3:09 PM, steve_v said:

I see you have a video describing how to give microsoft like 20 dollars. Can I direct you to this website? :P

I have tried it, and they are actually free...

Unfortunately, it appears that the site is currently down. Your post also seems to omit that these are not Windows variants.

If you want to do basic desktop tasks, Linux is a great OS. It is light and free and fairly resistent to malware. However, for gaming or things like CAD applications, it is far from a Windows replacement. A lot of games are simply not available on Linux, or require quite a bit more fiddling to get going properly. A fair bit of professional applications are also not available on the platform or require tinkering with WINE.

Edited by Camacha

On ‎28‎-‎5‎-‎2017 at 8:30 AM, steve_v said:

Fun story, my PC started rebooting unexpectedly today.

Opened case, smelled dead electronics from the (very hot) PSU. Uh Oh...

Opened PSU, saw huge burn mark on inside of case. Thought "Damn, it's Sunday and I don't have another PSU". :(

Closer inspection reveals it's the fan controller (switching transistors & sense resistors had gotten hot, melted into plastic insulator, shorted to case).

Ripped fan controller board out, brought fan wires out of case & jammed into FDD power plug...

Powered it back up, and here we are. :D

Yay for modular power supply designs and thermal protection. Boo for lousy sheet plastic case insulators. One little design flaw really messes up your day.

Now for the old "do I fix properly, or just replace it?" question...

How easily we tend to forget, we just connect the power cord and don't think about it much further. Mainboards, CPU's, Graphicscards, PSU's throwing enough current threw them, we can easily weld things together.
We're even trying to cool things down with... Water...  :D

9 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

How easily we tend to forget, we just connect the power cord and don't think about it much further. Mainboards, CPU's, Graphicscards, PSU's throwing enough current threw them, we can easily weld things together.

I am not sure that is proper welding. Modern equipment is fairly unimpressive when it comes to voltages, which is a good thing inside your home. A CRT monitor or a tube amplifier might give you more of a zap, though :)

11 hours ago, Camacha said:

Unfortunately, it appears that the site is currently down. Your post also seems to omit that these are not Windows variants.

Distrowatch down? Not for me.

20 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Yeah, don't get any older AMD chips. Either get a Ryzen 5 or wait for what the APUs/Ryzen 3 has to offer.

That was 7 years ago (I think I got my 2010 MacBook Pro in May, so it's basically dead to the world.) Whatever the case, I can only install about 2 games on it, which is not good. :( I still have my PS4 though, got it last November 2016, and it can run KSP. Though controlling with analog sticks...

11 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

We're even trying to cool things down with... Water...  :D

Ouch. I know how bad one of those can be, and it really sucks. I learned how to build a computer in December, but haven't got around to it yet.

17 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

How easily we tend to forget, we just connect the power cord and don't think about it much further.

I play with much bigger electricities all day, 12v is pretty friendly really.
Gotta take prospective fault current into account though, a 750W PSU will do ~60A on the +12v rail, and that's going to destroy something if you short it.
I start to get nervous above 20KA PFC... Flameproof gear, long handle, all that jazz.

It does surprise me how many people think electricity is some kind of voodoo, the "plug it in and magic happens" attitude is everywhere.
Then again, I just can't stand not knowing how something works. Can't fathom how anyone could not be at least a little curious.
From curiosity comes understanding, and from understanding, respect. Most of the time. :wink:

6 hours ago, RocketMan-Explorer said:

Ouch. I know how bad one of those can be, and it really sucks.

Nah, a bit of magic smoke got out, nothing to worry about. It's still working fine, so there must be plenty more where that came from.

17 hours ago, Camacha said:

I am not sure that is proper welding.

Well, you certainly can weld with 12v @ 60A... but in this case it was more burning. Nasty smelly burning plastic.

17 hours ago, Camacha said:

A CRT monitor or a tube amplifier might give you more of a zap, though

This I know well. A mains boot is nothing to what you'll get off the HT lead in a CRT. And those exposed tags in old ratsnest wired valve amps are pure evil.

Edited by steve_v

On ‎31‎-‎5‎-‎2017 at 9:06 AM, steve_v said:

I play with much bigger electricities all day, 12v is pretty friendly really.
Gotta take prospective fault current into account though, a 750W PSU will do ~60A on the +12v rail, and that's going to destroy something if you short it.
I start to get nervous above 20KA PFC... Flameproof gear, long handle, all that jazz.

It does surprise me how many people think electricity is some kind of voodoo, the "plug it in and magic happens" attitude is everywhere.
Then again, I just can't stand not knowing how something works. Can't fathom how anyone could not be at least a little curious.
From curiosity comes understanding, and from understanding, respect. Most of the time. :wink:

I'll confess, here's my most early memory of Electricity

Spoiler

kindveilig-stopcontact.jpg       +         d91a85d643f661c31f73b14c56ffb85c673d6090   = danger_electricity.gif 

I went from curiosity, to understanding, to respect pretty quick.... :confused:

My last one was a full diagnoses of my bike's charging system after malfunctioning, which can be pretty tricky stuff. I was proud of myself to fix her up again. Doing it yourself does make it a bit less Voodoo, but I still have a healthy dose of scare of electricity. 

Edited by LoSBoL

1 hour ago, StupidAndy said:

this is KIND of about compooters, and will probably get me yelled at by 20 different people

but what exactly IS Linux?

Linux is an open source imitator of the Unix operating system, created by Linus Torvalds. Essentially, it does what it says on the tin. Its an open source OS designed to act like Unix(another family of operating systems). The actual important part is the kernel, which is then used to develop the rest of the different versions of Linux, called distros.

Not really an expert, just what I know. If anyone else wants to chime in, go ahead.

Edited by qzgy

Just now, qzgy said:

Linux is an open source version of the Unix operating system, created by Linus Torvalds. Essentially, it does what it says on the tin. Its an open source OS. The actual important part is the kernel, which is then used to develop the rest of the different versions of Linux, called distros.

Not really an expert, just what I know. If anyone else wants to chime in, go ahead.

okay

what's Unix?

Just now, StupidAndy said:

okay

what's Unix?

Another operating system, developed by Bell before being forked or imitated into other things.

Again, not super sure. Corrections are welcome

4 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

The kernel is what matters most. That is the bit of software that governs the most basic operations of a computer. The Linux kernel is probably the most wide spread one. Even though Linux is doing moderately ok in the desktop world and very well in the server world, Linux's claim to fame is that it is (or can be made to be) a very light kernel that can run on pretty much every four transistors stuck together. This means that Linux can be found in a whole host of devices, from the obvious smart phones (Android) to quad copters to heaters to routers to even the most unlikely devices.

Apparently, Linux is even used in things like baseband chips of phones, which means that some phones have multiple Linux kernels dedicated to separate jobs. No one will ever see it, but in the background it is doing its job. We only know about these things thanks to dedicated security researchers.

What computer should I buy? I am planning to play KSP on it because right now, I am actually using a high- end work computer. I am fine with a decent PC or laptop for gaming, but my budget is 750 USD or less. I want/sort of need the is to be: Windows 7 or later, but Linux is fine too. Also, minimum 8gb ram.

11 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

It's an os that has the code provided, so programmers or the people can modify the OS. I personally would not touch that, because I'm not exactly an expert, so if I'm wrong about this, somebody feel free to tell me. Yeah. I almost broke KSP once. What more an OS?

Edited by SpaceEnthusiast23

2 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

@SpaceEnthusiast23 This would be pretty good for KSP, but AMD RX series GPUs are out of stock everywhere due to them being so good at cryptocurrency mining, so factor in about $220 for the GPU (doesn't show price on PC Part Picker) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YYVzwV

Thanks. Maybe I can try other sites to find the AMD and GPU somewhere else? Anyone have other ideas? Also, I prefer a laptop, but thanks anyway. PC is fine if I have to use one to play ksp without lag.

Edited by SpaceEnthusiast23

2 minutes ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Thanks. Maybe I can try other sites to find the AMD and GPU somewhere else? Anyone have other ideas? Also, I prefer a laptop, but thanks anyway. PC is fine if I have to use one to play ksp without lag.

No sites have AMD GPUs in stock, and they'll be $275+ for a RX 480/580 on eBay due to the insane demand right now.

10 hours ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Whoa! Ok. I'll try the site you just showed me to find a cheap, but good build. But still, I might need suggestions. Thanks anyway. @legoclone09

What's the reason you don't want to play KSP on your high-end work computer? Reason for asking is because if it's your own property, why not make it suitable for gaming as well? 

4 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

What's the reason you don't want to play KSP on your high-end work computer? Reason for asking is because if it's your own property, why not make it suitable for gaming as well? 

It might be a laptop, and laptop processors are throttled due to temperature, and most laptops with GPUs around $1000 I've seen have 1050s, 960M, or 3GB 1060s (mostly around the $1200 price point for 1060s)

9 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

It might be a laptop, and laptop processors are throttled due to temperature, and most laptops with GPUs around $1000 I've seen have 1050s, 960M, or 3GB 1060s (mostly around the $1200 price point for 1060s)

No. It's a PC, but it is not modular. Here are my PC specs:

Operating System
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz    39 °C
    Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 3048h (XU1 PROCESSOR)
Graphics
    E2242 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset (HP)
    Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset (HP)
Storage
    232GB Seagate ST3250318AS ATA Device (SATA)    36 °C
Optical Drives
    hp DVD A DH16ABLH ATA Device
Audio
    High Definition Audio Device