Planet Ribbons Redux

Unistrut

• 2 months later...

My Jool probe mission has succeded beyond my wildest dreams, having entered the SOI of Tylo, Laythe, Vall besides Jool itself, and orbited Vall and Tylo. If I read the rules correctly, it means it qualifies for a Grand Tour shield, albeit meeting the requirements in the smallest possible way. Is that correct?

Read the discussion, got my negative answer.

Edited by Freshmeat

7 hours ago, Freshmeat said:

My Jool probe mission has succeded beyond my wildest dreams, having entered the SOI of Tylo, Laythe, Vall besides Jool itself, and orbited Vall and Tylo. If I read the rules correctly, it means it qualifies for a Grand Tour shield, albeit meeting the requirements in the smallest possible way. Is that correct?

Read the discussion, got my negative answer.

I'm not the authority on this, @Unistrut is, but if your probe visited more than 1 body, then I don't see why you can't claim the Grand Tour shield.  If I were you and had done that, I would claim it.  See rule below.

On 4/20/2013 at 5:30 PM, Unistrut said:

1.2 Grand Tour

The Grand Tour shield is awarded when a vessel has visited (entered the SOI of) more than two worlds. A pip is awarded for each planet / moon visited. The craft used on the Grand Tour is indicated in the center. Kerbal Lost and Kerbal Saved are awarded as normal. To the left and the right of the center device are the Orbital Device and arrows and Landing Device and arrows. On the first orbit / landing the device is awarded, and then an arrow is awarded for each subsequent world orbited / landed on. The entire vessel doesn't need to land to be eligible for a Landing Arrow. As long as the lander was carried to the world by the ship that is conducting the Grand Tour it counts for a Landing Arrow.

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Alex33212 said:

Tentative idea for a new category:

Constructor Vessel: A vessel capable of assembling another vessel.

Isn't that usually a tiny little RCS tug, especially if there are RCS ports on the modules being assembled?

9 hours ago, Archgeek said:

Isn't that usually a tiny little RCS tug, especially if there are RCS ports on the modules being assembled?

I guess I meant a station or such that used something like Extraplanetary Launchpads to build vessels from shipped-up parts.
It was kind of a offhand idea anyway.

• 1 month later...

two things... is there any possibility of a link/doc/subsection that defines what each device is for (actually had to do some hunting to find this thread since the website still points at the old thread) and explains what exactly constitutes the challenge wreathe for each ribbon?

and, i know this was addressed a bit before, but i offer a neutral alternative... an opt-in kind of thing. A silver/gold side-clip device denoting an SAS/semi-assisted manned flight as opposed to a purely unassisted stock flight (no SAS even). it would then be the "ultimate achievement" to take off stock unassisted, achieve orbit, travel to wherever, and return to kerbin surface (especially if you use challenge mods like RO, lol). but not having the device could simply mean that youre controlling too many flights to bother manual control each time, or that (like me) you can barely land an atmoplane *with* SAS.

just my 2cents and i may be dismissed as you see fit.

What I want is a Moose and Squirrel campaign ribbon for when you pull something out of your hat. Maybe you get it for using a part for something other than what it was designed for, or safely landing on Kirbin after you realize you forgot to add a heat shield.

Bullwinkle: Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.
Rocky: But that trick never works.
Bullwinkle: This time for sure. Nothing up my sleeve....PRESTO! (Bullwinkle pulls Rocket J. Squirrel out of his hat.) Well, I'm getting close.

11 hours ago, argentrolf said:

two things... is there any possibility of a link/doc/subsection that defines what each device is for (actually had to do some hunting to find this thread since the website still points at the old thread) and explains what exactly constitutes the challenge wreathe for each ribbon?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "the website", but mine has links pointing to the 2 threads that matter for the ribbons.  The first one labeled "Rules" comes to the first post in this thread for info about the images and the rules for using them, and the other labeled "Forum Thread" leads to my thread about the generator itself.  I don't know which "old thread" you're referring to.  If you feel anything is missing from my site, please call out the specific URLs for where the important info is.  Thanks!

@Ezriilc, apologies, the generator page is the site i was talking about, and when i followed the forum thread link, it led to the other thread and an "old thread" warning with no recent posts... i misassumed that it was replaced by this thread... never thought to look at the rules link (thought it was rules for the site itself, lol)

17 hours ago, argentrolf said:

@Ezriilc, apologies, the generator page is the site i was talking about, and when i followed the forum thread link, it led to the other thread and an "old thread" warning with no recent posts... i misassumed that it was replaced by this thread... never thought to look at the rules link (thought it was rules for the site itself, lol)

No apologies necessary.  I'm just glad you've got the info you need.  :)

19 hours ago, cratercracker said:

I actually did ribbons for the forum and then it got super tiring doing manually.

I'm sorry, are you referring to my generator site?  Did you need some help with anything?

16 hours ago, Ezriilc said:

No apologies necessary.  I'm just glad you've got the info you need.  :)

I'm sorry, are you referring to my generator site?  Did you need some help with anything?

No, I am referencing to my own project, the link is somewhere in the signature. 

Since this got pulled back to the main page, I just thought I'd chime in and say thanks, I love my ribbons.

I didn't realize I qualified for a Grand Tour shield! (Albeit an unimpressive one...). I should add that...

-Jn-

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, NH04 said:

I would show mine, but I forgot how to. :/

I'm happy to help!

1. On any page of this forum, click your username at the top-right, then click "Account Settings".
  2. In that view, click "Signature" on the left.
  3. In that view, use the "Insert image from URL" button to enter your ribbons image URL that you get from my site at  https://www.kerbaltek.com/ribbons  You need to be logged in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.