Planet Ribbons Redux

Unistrut

This is just too nice, thx :)

A few suggestions however seem in place. When I first tried the page on firefox, most texts that are hidden at start, seem to randomly dissapear/reappear, when scrolling up and down. Might be javascript/css/firefox doing it for all I know. Works just smoothly on Chrome and IE, though.

At the first glance, it's all quite obvious, but maybe one item could have a more elaborate onmouseover-text, namely the "Grand Tour". Also, the asteroids' texts are easily just the same as the others', but maybe they could be more asteroid-spesific.

This is just too nice, thx :)

A few suggestions however seem in place. When I first tried the page on firefox, most texts that are hidden at start, seem to randomly dissapear/reappear, when scrolling up and down. Might be javascript/css/firefox doing it for all I know. Works just smoothly on Chrome and IE, though.

At the first glance, it's all quite obvious, but maybe one item could have a more elaborate onmouseover-text, namely the "Grand Tour". Also, the asteroids' texts are easily just the same as the others', but maybe they could be more asteroid-spesific.

This thread is about the images only. To discuss the Ribbons Generator, please go here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86422

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has a Kerbol Escape ribbon/device already been suggested? If not, then one would be interesting. If there is one/shouldn't be one, how about one for entering the SOI of another star (for if there are mods that add other stars)? My idea for a special ribbon's color scheme would be the Kerbol colors on the sidestrips, and a starfield center.

On another note, some terminology for the parts of a ribbon would be nice.

posted by Alex33212: On another note, some terminology for the parts of a ribbon would be nice.

Not a complex answer, I am afraid...

As a collector, a general answer I can offer is that in American military tradition the terminology of the parts of a ribbon is, 1. The ribbon, 2. The devices or emblems. This results from a ribbon actually being part of a full medal which has more terminology. Naming it a ribbon comes from " ribbon drape " (in english) which is the fabric part of a medal.

Ribbons are made of cotton or silk, and more recently of rayon; they can be flat or braided. The finish of the cloth can be of several kinds – gros grain (most durable), satin finish, moire and velvet. Ribbons can be decorated with bullion. The textured lines offered as an option in the ribbon maker is to visually replicate the Moire effects which are achieved by certain weaves in the material. When silk is used this way the finishing technique, called calendering, is called "watered silk". in other materials it is simply refferred to as 'watered'.

It is common to identify the colors from left to right, separated by hyphens. An example would be 'green-white-red-white-green'. Such a ribbon would have a single red stripe down the center with the border color green on both sides.

posted by Alex33212: On another note, some terminology for the parts of a ribbon would be nice.

As a collector, a general answer I can offer is that in American military tradition the terminology of the parts of a ribbon is, 1. The ribbon, 2. The devices or emblems. This results from a ribbon actually being part of a full medal which has more terminology. Naming it a ribbon comes from " ribbon drape " (in english) which is the fabric part of a medal.

Ribbons are made of cotton or silk, and more recently of rayon; they can be flat or braided. The finish of the cloth can be of several kinds – gros grain (most durable), satin finish, moire and velvet. Ribbons can be decorated with bullion. The textured lines offered as an option in the ribbon maker is to visually replicate the Moire effects which are achieved by certain weaves in the material. When silk is used this way the finishing technique, called calendering, is called "watered silk". in other materials it is simply refferred to as 'watered'.

It is common to identify the colors from left to right, separated by hyphens. An example would be 'green-white-red-white-green'. Such a ribbon would have a single red stripe down the center with the border color green on both sides.

Thanks for all that, jpkerman. I knew only some of that, and learned the rest.

Thanks for the info, but I was specifically referring to these achievement ribbons.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a mockup of my extrakerbol ribbon base idea:

EjGoTI9.png

Thanks for the info, but I was specifically referring to these achievement ribbons.

I think most of that info would apply to these ribbons as well - generally.

I don't know the term, but I remember seeing a bronze frame of sorts around the outside of some ribbons, and I also don't know what it represents.

jpkerman, is that what "bullion" refers to?

Bullion refers to metal threads that imitate gold, silver, or other metals such as bronze or copper . In ribbons (where the field is limited it is used to add extra fine details or act as a device by reproducing in miniature a design that may be a feature of the full medal. In a sash award or breast badge (more common in honors which bestow an Order) they can be used in tassels or embroidery.

The gilt frames on some ribbons of the American military denote Unit Citations. The closest in KSP would be if a mission goes somewhere, does something , and returns, if the Kerbal Space Administration had Mission Citations awards for achievement, merit or outstanding contributions, then the ribbon would be awarded to all on the mission and have a gilt frame around it to denote it from an award for individual acts. It would not be awarded for any particular event or action on the mission but for the overall sum total significance of the entire mission. The Grand Tour ribbon would be a good example. The frame is needed because in a general theory of Phaleristics, medals are divided between Decorations and Service Awards. The concept gets lost in the KSP world because in the ribbon generator the ribbon denotes area while some of the devices would be a Decoration (actions of an individual, e.g. First to EVA: specific act to specific kerbal,) and some more like a Service Award (e.g. Orbit planet X: Act that would apply to all in the spacecraft). Final Frontier has a little bit better separation of ribbons into three camps, Individual acts, group acts and All mission Achievement awards but also gets muddled in having ribbons that in our world would be denoted as Badges, Sleeve Insignia or Collar devices. Having everything in a 'Ribbon Rack' is nifty but in some instances make a corresponding example from Earth difficult.

I am not really sure what the OP was looking for now. Most devices are used to show multiple awards. The ribbon creator takes a different approach to that. I cannot tell if the outside stripes of the posted pic is a vertical tri color (white/yellow/gold ?) which is rare in ribbons because of the manufacturing process or if it is supposed to be a shadow effect on the top. Also yellow and white in medals/ribbons is supposed to denote gold/silver in higher awards. Often a horizontal stripe will bisect a vertical stripe to produce a bi-color verticle stripe but the top and bottom colors are usually the same. To have an yellow (if my monitor pic is correct) next to a deeper gold color would be uncommon.

But hey, it's a Kerbal world, where we break the rules and still look good.

Edited by jpkerman

• 1 month later...

I have a complaint - Kerbol does not have a flight pin available, but there IS an atmosphere on Kerbol and I HAVE flown in it (With a rocket engine, of course), and I demand recognition!

But in all seriousness, it is technically possible to fly in the atmosphere of Kerbol in vanilla KSP. Whether or not it is possible without 'Ignore max temperature' checked to yes is yet to be discovered, however that is besides the point. It has an atmosphere so it should have the atmosphere pin possible.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, prorokbmx said:

How do i insert the ribbon ? 

Because i tried almost everything

Sorry, but I don't understand.  Insert where?

Everything?  Like what?

I'm not the owner of this thread or these images, but I may be able to help.

1 minute ago, Ezriilc said:

Sorry, but I don't understand.  Insert where?

Everything?  Like what?

I'm not the owner of this thread or these images, but I may be able to help.

Sorry for that my english level isnt that big so I dont know how can i add the ribbons to my account

Just like you have it

Just now, prorokbmx said:

Sorry for that my english level isnt that big so I dont know how can i add the ribbons to my account

No problem.  I will do my best to help you.  :wink:

I see that you have already registered on our site (well done).  Now, copy your URL into your signature here.

1. Click your name at the top-right of this page, then click "Account Settings".
  2. Click the "Signature" tab.
  3. Click "Insert other media", then click "Insert image from URL".
  4. Enter the URL for your ribbons.

Your URL for your ribbons: 

http://www.kerbaltek.com/users/prorokbmx/ribbons.png

On a related note, I have fixed the code on my site to give the proper URL on the Ribbons page.

1 hour ago, Ezriilc said:

No problem.  I will do my best to help you.  :wink:

I see that you have already registered on our site (well done).  Now, copy your URL into your signature here.

1. Click your name at the top-right of this page, then click "Account Settings".
  2. Click the "Signature" tab.
  3. Click "Insert other media", then click "Insert image from URL".
  4. Enter the URL for your ribbons.

Your URL for your ribbons: 

http://www.kerbaltek.com/users/prorokbmx/ribbons.png

On a related note, I have fixed the code on my site to give the proper URL on the Ribbons page.

Than you so much 

• 8 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.