One way or Return.

B787_300

One Way or Return?  

1. 1. One Way or Return?

One way missions manned missions don't make sense to me, as you'd have to resupply the crews regularly with food ect. from Earth (I don't see an entirely self sufficient Mars colony as a possibility on the first flight).

Much better to return, but with ISRU. You can use the CO2 atmosphere of Mars to make liquid oxygen. If you can get an 100kW power supply, liquid methane can also be produced (though you'd need the hydrogen from Earth, 5% of total propellant). This is an actual technology that's been demonstrated (been around since the 1800s), and not new-age far-future nonsense like VASIMIR or space elevators :rolleyes:

-Joe

Ah, the good ol' sebatier reaction. Getting our astronauts home since February 2034.

Definitely return.

One-way is cheaper, but if your concern is cost than robots are the way to go.

The Human race needs heroes in space exploration, so even though the cost is higher, the interest is so much greater if you send and return Humans.

I mean seriously, think of all those annoying conspiracy theory people popping up if we didn't return these guys and girls ;).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.