KAS Issues

flightmaster

Hey all, I've just been getting back into the game after a while of not playing and I've decided to have a go at using the KAS (Kerbal Attachment System), however, when I attempt to lower the winch (with an electro-magnet attached) the electro-magnet just falls of, no matter what I do. This happens with and without anything attached. Any ideas? This is a great mod and I'd love to be able to use it to help me build my bases.

Cheers!

Be sure that when attaching the electromagnet, you put it on the first of the two nodes that are on the KAS winch. There are actually two, if you look closely in the VAB. The upper is for the electromagnet/suction cup, and the lower is for your cargo, or anything you wish to preattach.

Hope this helps!

KAS has been a bit derpy as of late, I think it needs updating since it was only guaranteed to work with 0.18.2. Its forum thread got eaten in the database crash, so I dunno where it's going to go from here.

Be sure that when attaching the electromagnet, you put it on the first of the two nodes that are on the KAS winch. There are actually two, if you look closely in the VAB. The upper is for the electromagnet/suction cup, and the lower is for your cargo, or anything you wish to preattach.

Hope this helps!

Yeah that was my first issue but if you put it on the lowest node you don't even get the ability to lower it, it just says "No hook attached" so that wasn't it but thanks anyway!

Yeah that was my first issue but if you put it on the lowest node you don't even get the ability to lower it, it just says "No hook attached" so that wasn't it but thanks anyway!

I assume he meant the upper node?

I assume he meant the upper node?

Either way, it wasn't the nodes.

Are you using this on a vessel with rover wheels? I believe there is an issue with rover wheels and most of KAS (I've gotten it to work with winch + a dock port though).

Yeah I am using it with wheels, I didn't really think of that.

Yes, there seems to be a problem with KAS not wanting to stay attached to something containing rover wheels at launch. Try detaching whatever it is first with a decoupler, then picking it back up by dropping the winch onto it.

Yes, there seems to be a problem with KAS not wanting to stay attached to something containing rover wheels at launch. Try detaching whatever it is first with a decoupler, then picking it back up by dropping the winch onto it.

I might not have explained myself properly, it's the actual electro-magnet itself that falls off, not anything attached to the node. So I can't use the winch at all essentially.

I might not have explained myself properly, it's the actual electro-magnet itself that falls off, not anything attached to the node. So I can't use the winch at all essentially.

Yeah what he means is, if you have a craft that has both the KAS and the new wheels, then when you try to use the winch the magnet will fall off. If you take away the wheels from the craft then the KAS works fine. So what you have to do is first decouple the part of the craft that has the KAS from the part that has the wheels, then you can use the KAS just fine.

I did a Curiosity Rover style landing system and my god was that a fiddle because of this. During descent I had to first decouple the rover from the main descent vehicle and hold the rover inside the heat shield. So the rover was completely disconnected just resting against the inside of the descent stage, then I was able to lower the KAS onto the rover and pick it up. That was the only way I could get a Curiosity style winch lowering system working with the new wheels.

I made a vid with that in it which shows the shuffle I had to do to get the KAS to play nice - http://youtu.be/O1RzFaEF5Rg?t=10m23s

Yeah what he means is, if you have a craft that has both the KAS and the new wheels, then when you try to use the winch the magnet will fall off. If you take away the wheels from the craft then the KAS works fine. So what you have to do is first decouple the part of the craft that has the KAS from the part that has the wheels, then you can use the KAS just fine.

I did a Curiosity Rover style landing system and my god was that a fiddle because of this. During descent I had to first decouple the rover from the main descent vehicle and hold the rover inside the heat shield. So the rover was completely disconnected just resting against the inside of the descent stage, then I was able to lower the KAS onto the rover and pick it up. That was the only way I could get a Curiosity style winch lowering system working with the new wheels.

I made a vid with that in it which shows the shuffle I had to do to get the KAS to play nice - http://youtu.be/O1RzFaEF5Rg?t=10m23s

Wow that seems like an awful lot of bother! I hope it gets updated sometime soon to be compatible with rover wheels, it's such a great mod!

There was an update coming for KAS to make it work with 0.19 better iirc, I found out the hard way it didn't work with the new wheels when I brought my rover to Duna.

That's what I was trying to avoid so I tested it on Kerbin. I'm assuming the update got lost in the server outage?

Ok I've done a fair chunk of experimenting, trying to figure out what it was. From what I can see it's the type of wheel used. Only the RoveMax Model 3 (the huge ones) works with the winch from my tests, the other two show the same symptoms of the hook just falling off.

• 3 years later...

Ok, i'm having an issue... So whatever i attach to the winches don't seem to register but the little part of the winch that is supposed to go down lowers, but whatever i attach to that part doesn't lower. This is super frustrating please help.

9 minutes ago, Matchlight said:

Ok, i'm having an issue... So whatever i attach to the winches don't seem to register but the little part of the winch that is supposed to go down lowers, but whatever i attach to that part doesn't lower. This is super frustrating please help.

Try asking in this thread, current one is a bit too old.

This thread is ancient, over three years old-- the content in it is pretty much irrelevant now, as both KSP and KAS have gone through numerous revisions.  Locking the thread to prevent further confusion.  If you have issues with a current version of a mod, the best place to ask about it is in the mod's thread, as linked above.