[1.0]Vanguard Technologies | EVA parachutes | still works

Kreuzung

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but is there a way to have a parachute on each kerbal by default, for example, each now has a flag by default. Is that such thing a possibility?

Pressing EVA Jump key + EVA Use key (space+f by default) deploys parachutes on all Kerbals. If less than 100m above the ground, they deploy fully, otherwise they do only semi-deploy.

You can of course press these keys again after falling down to less than 100m to fully deploy, but you should survive the landing in semi mode too.

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but is there a way to have a parachute on each kerbal by default, for example, each now has a flag by default. Is that such thing a possibility?

I was actually looking through the source to see the best way to do this XD.

Well, just from copying source I already have.

*Link does not contain the Vanguard plugin nor replaces said plugin, it merely attaches the module as specified in the part.cfg

License is "Do Whatever you want with this source code"

Edited by Fel

PartLoader.getPartInfoByName("kerbalEVA").partPrefab.AddModule(EVA);

Nice line, probably whould've used a bad hack here myself...

Is the OnStart-calling part really necessary? It should be called when the vessel is set up, I only had to add it manually because when adding a part module during flight, it isn't called (or better, wasn't called in .19).

If you'd put that under the CC BY license, I could integrate it in the plugin (of course I'd add a config thing that allows turning it off). I'm not sure if I should keep the parachute boxes then, the only argument for that is "always having a parachute makes it too easy", but then again an ejection module already doesn't have any impact on most vessels' performance and it whould still be required to get everyone out.

What I'd personally like most whould be still having parachute boxes but being able to purchase parachutes for individual Kerbals, but that'd require campaign mode, I guess...

Edit: Linked your plugin in the first post.

Edited by Kreuzung

I am unable to deploy the parachutes using either of the 2 methods. I have the default parachute plug, the vanguard plug, and the parachute mod, and have re-implemented the mod twice. Could it be a compatibility problem?

Just reporting the existence of what seems to be a compatability issue of some sort. I had the parachutes working smoothly after first installing them but while trying to integrate the ejection module with my command pods I discovered that the parachutes wouldn't deploy anymore, even when using the official part. After a some tinkering and a couple of rounds of deleting and re-installing the mod I've reached the conclusion that something is keeping VanguardTechnologies.dll from working. The problem is identical to what I had before I realised that the .dll was seperate, and I've determined that the parachutes still work just fine if I install the mod in a mostly clean KSP install.

Unfortunately I can't tell much other than that. I've got too many mods in my main KSP install now to tinker with them easily. VNG seems to play nice with ioncross and ISA Mapsat, so maybe Kethane or Extraplanetary launchpads is causing an issue? More experimentation to come. . .

Just reporting the existence of what seems to be a compatability issue of some sort. I had the parachutes working smoothly after first installing them but while trying to integrate the ejection module with my command pods I discovered that the parachutes wouldn't deploy anymore, even when using the official part. After a some tinkering and a couple of rounds of deleting and re-installing the mod I've reached the conclusion that something is keeping VanguardTechnologies.dll from working. The problem is identical to what I had before I realised that the .dll was seperate, and I've determined that the parachutes still work just fine if I install the mod in a mostly clean KSP install.

Unfortunately I can't tell much other than that. I've got too many mods in my main KSP install now to tinker with them easily. VNG seems to play nice with ioncross and ISA Mapsat, so maybe Kethane or Extraplanetary launchpads is causing an issue? More experimentation to come. . .

Check your plugin folder for Vangaurd dll files... I think it may be a conflict of versions...

Check your plugin folder for Vangaurd dll files... I think it may be a conflict of versions...

Looks like you might be onto something, there's an outdated duplicate in the legacy plugin folder. Give me a few minutes here...

I can confirm compatibility with all the plugins that come with B9, Deadly Reentry, Extraplanetary Launchpads, FAR, Hooligan Labs Airships, Haystack, ISA MapSat, KAS, Kethane, LLL, MJ2, Protractor, RemoteTech and Alarm Clock since they're the ones I'm currently using on my main install.

Do you have Hooligan Labs launchpads and runways? If yes, check GameData\HooliganLabs\Plugins\, it should contain version 4, delete that.

I can confirm compatibility with all the plugins that come with B9, Deadly Reentry, Extraplanetary Launchpads, FAR, Hooligan Labs Airships, Haystack, ISA MapSat, KAS, Kethane, LLL, MJ2, Protractor, RemoteTech and Alarm Clock since they're the ones I'm currently using on my main install.

Do you have Hooligan Labs launchpads and runways? If yes, check GameData\HooliganLabs\Plugins\, it should contain version 4, delete that.

That's done it! You had the right idea after all toomtoomX, I just didn't think about searching the gamedata folders. Many thanks to both of you for the help!

Well in related news both the launchpads and the colorlight still seem to work fine, I assume they're now using the up to date .dll. The module manager file I set up is also working flawlessly, so I can now cause most of my command capsules to eject their crew at the touch of a button with no extra parts needed! Granted, they are irrevocably destroyed in the process, but I'm sure that will never come up again. :cool:

As long as I'm tinkering, maybe I'll try and switch out the model/texture for the parachute box...

By the way, to keep track how many mods you have, make a subfolder of each mod inside the GameData folder, then unzip the contents (Parts, plugins, etc.) into that subfolder.

EDIT: Then by checking the GameData folder, you should have # of mods. Also check on the legacy folders to check any external mods.

Right now I have 8 mods, 0 in legacy folders.

Set maxUses = -1 in the ejection module config if you don't like the explosions... but I guess you like them :P

I actually want to replace the parachute box, just never got around drawing the sketches and sending them to Quadro7f, who will then make the models because I suck hard at 3d arts.

Set maxUses = -1 in the ejection module config if you don't like the explosions... but I guess you like them :P

I actually want to replace the parachute box, just never got around drawing the sketches and sending them to Quadro7f, who will then make the models because I suck hard at 3d arts.

I've got half a mind to learn enough about texturing to change the colors on the radial parachute I used as a substitute for the box, but I think I'll just leave well enough alone for now. I'm probably pushing my luck as it is. The high explosive ejection seats do seem very....kerbal, soI think I'll leave them in. Thanks for the trick though. I've been learning a lot about tweaking while getting all these mods installed, and it's interesting!

By the way, to keep track how many mods you have, make a subfolder of each mod inside the GameData folder, then unzip the contents (Parts, plugins, etc.) into that subfolder.

EDIT: Then by checking the GameData folder, you should have # of mods. Also check on the legacy folders to check any external mods.

Right now I have 8 mods, 0 in legacy folders.

Now that I think about it, I've been archiving the .zip folders whenever I install. According to that file I've got about 65 mods running currently. It's miraculous I had so few issues to iron out, really. :0.0: