[0.24] Chatterer v.0.5.9.4

Iannic-ann-od

Chatterer is under new management and has a new thread!

Athlonic, who has been keeping this mod alive for the past year, is now officially in charge and has started a new thread HERE.

Big thanks to Athlonic and all the other contributors and users who've helped make Chatterer great!

Add some SSTV, beeps, and nonsensical radio chatter between your crewed command pods and Mission Control

Totally useless, TOTALLY FUN

SSxcvYo.png

Chatterer is licensed under the GNU General Public License v3.

Source code can be found here.

Audio Credits

Apollo 11 and STS-1 chatter created from audio found at the NASA Audio Archive. [usage Information]

Russian chatter created from audio recorded by Sven Grahn. [usage Information]

Sound effects by acclivity, adneonlux, AGFX, AMPUL, Argitoth, be-steele, blaukreuz, bubaproducer, carbilicon, ch0cchi, Corsica_S, datwilightz, DJ Chronos, DodoDuck, DrNI, ERH, FreqMan, HerbertBoland, junggle, klankbeeld, laiskvorst, Leady, mario1298, m-o-m, NUpton, pera, plagasul, REC242, Setuniman, suonho, UdoPohlmann, yewbic, Zozzy

v0.5.9.4:

- Recompiled for KSP v0.24 (First Contracts)

- Fixed chatter volume resetting @80% on awake (finally)

v0.5.9.3:

- Recompiled for KSP v0.23.5 (fixes missing Airlock/Breath sounds)

- Added Debug Mode setting (disabled by default, so Chatterer no more spam your Log)

- Disabled "Remotech integration" & "Check for update" settings as they don't work (for now)

v0.5.9.2:

- Made integration with blizzy78's Toolbar plugin optional (will use Chatterer default icon if toolbar plugin is not installed)

v0.5.9:

- Recompiled with 0.23 references

- integration with blizzy78's Toolbar plugin

- enabled airlock sound when going to and from EVA

- Skin management : Using 'Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll' instead of 'FindObjectsOfTypeIncludingAssets' [obsolete with new Unity version]

- replaced "Mute" button by "Close UI window" button (Mute is causing NullRefEx spam for now)

- removed feedback sound filter option [unity :Obsolete("feedback is deprecated, this property does nothing.")]

v.0.5.8 [16 Nov]

- Added atmospheric wind that fades in/out according to atmospheric density. Code and idea from Real Space Environment

- Different breathing sound. Slightly louder. Loud enough?

- Soundscapes are an optional download here [ soundscape.zip ] (35MB)

- In the .zip is a
soundscape
folder. Extract and copy folder to
GameData/Chatterer/Sounds/AAE/

- Other new sounds (EVA breathing, vessel background hum, wind) can also be removed; or just remove the entire AAE folder

v.0.5.7 [10 Nov]

- New audio:

* EVA breathing from the Real Space Environment mod has been added. Many thanks to jeti140973

* 35 random soundscapes can be played back-to-back or on a timer

* Two background players to loop ambient vessel sounds

* 14 new beep samples (beep samples from previous versions are no longer included!)

- Cleaned up the UI by hiding less important things behind a new Settings toggle "Show Advanced Options"

v.0.5.6

- Fixed EVA Kerbals from triggering auto-chatter when jumping around

- Fixed main window from showing up when it should be hidden

- Fixed lots of path and ConfigNode problems. Thanks to Gristle, MainSailor, jrandom, BigFatStupidHead, and #kspmodders for the help!

- Lots of audio loading changes thanks to the lifting of the ban on System.IO:

* Can now load any of the Unity supported audio formats (wav, aif, ogg,
mp3
)

* No more limit on the number of clips to try to load

* Audio files no longer have to conform to a naming pattern to be loaded by the plugin

* Since names don't matter anymore, chatter, sstv, and probe audio files now have subfolders inside /Chatterer/Sounds

- Added individual vessel settings

- Added some tooltips (Thanks to Protractor source)

- Added chorus, distortion, echo, highpass, lowpass, and reverb filters to chatter and beeps

- Added buttons to return filters to default settings

- Added unlimited beep sources

- Config files now saved as ConfigNodes

- Fixed SSTV image slant

- ElectricCharge usage can be toggled on/off in settings

- Added a couple new skins from the AssetBase

- Fixed 'Allow update check' toggle and insta-SSTV key change from being hidden on crewless vessels

- Changed beep name/number to a button that plays the selected clip once

- Fixed skinned buttons displaying when No Skin is selected

v.0.5 [3 Jul]

- Now using part-free KSPAddon method instead of PartModule

- Added SSTV transmissions

- Increased number of beepers to three

- Beep timing can be toggled between precise and loose

- Beeps can be looped

- Beep clip can be set to random

- GUI split into sections and slider size decreased

- Icon can be relocated anywhere on the screen

- Removed unnecessary directories from Sounds and Textures

- Changed beep pitch display to a percentage

- Config read/write rewritten to be more sensible

- Fixed 'Load' button to not load already loaded dirs and not accept 'directory name'

- Fixed issues with skins sometimes displaying incorrectly

- Added a toggle to disable beeps during chatter

- Added a toggle to allow http update checks

v.0.4.1 [1 Jun]

- Added a set of kerbalized Russian chatter

- No more .cfg editing for adding custom audio, now added in game

- Stopped power usage when chatter/beep frequency is off

- Stopped event chatter when chatter frequency is off

- Added a button to swap between probe and chatter mode

- Fixed empty audiosets from breaking the plugin

- Cleaned up AudioSources and AudioClip array

- Icon textures load from game database

v.0.4 [26 May]

- Plugin files moved to use the new game database

- Create and play your own chatter sets (see README file for instructions)

- Added a new STS-1 chatter set

- Added new probe beeps

- Added optional RemoteTech integration to suspend or delay radio chatter

- Quindar tones are now toggleable and have a volume control

- Now uses a small amount of ElectricCharge (0.025/s)

- Added some other skin choices

v.0.3.2 [22 Mar]

- Added a second, stylish radial Radio part courtesy of baalzebob

- Rescaled the first part in cfg to make it more manageable (Thanks Kreuzung)

- Part checks via http for a newer version on flight start

- Insta-chatter key now saves and loads (Thanks Mu)

Edited by Iannic-ann-od

• 2 weeks later...

Love it.

...But I wish that a) It would not stop working when multiple vessels with it equipped are docked, and B) I wish it would stop working if there are no kerbals currently on board.

I love the new radio model, but I wasn't too fond of the way the texture causes it to stick out from the rest of the ship. I modified the texture for it so that it fits in better. I don't know the policy on modding mods so I'll just leave this picture here.

FRXIlWz.png

I love the new radio model, but I wasn't too fond of the way the texture causes it to stick out from the rest of the ship. I modified the texture for it so that it fits in better. I don't know the policy on modding mods so I'll just leave this picture here.

In the original thread Baalzebob gave permission for free use of the model and I like this alt texture. Share a link to the new files will ya?

...But I wish that a) It would not stop working when multiple vessels with it equipped are docked, and B) I wish it would stop working if there are no kerbals currently on board.

Neither a or b should be happening. I will look into it.

It's been a long time since any update. I've been waiting for the new database to be implemented which I've been led to believe will allow users to easily add their own sound files for Chatterer to play. When this makes it into KSP I will have an update with another set of chatter and beeps and instructions on how to add your own clips.

Yes, just copy the code from the part's .cfg and paste into each capsule's .cfg file.

The code you need to add to the capsule is:

MODULE

{

name = rbr_chatterer

}

Does it support RemoteTech with adding a delay between message and response according to the distance between the control and ship. Or only send messages from/to the ship without any answer when the ship has no contact. (And a “nominal†message every few messages is a must :P )

Fabian

Edited by xZise

Does it support RemoteTech with adding a delay between message and response according to the distance between the control and ship. Or only send messages from/to the ship without any answer when the ship has no contact. (And a “nominal†message every few messages is a must :P )

Fabian

I think all it does is add ''nonsensical chatter'' i.e. play noise every now and then. Personally I love it :D Don't think it goes as deep as RemoteTech though.

Hey, Iannic, would you mind if I added that module to capsules for the ''pack''? That would ensure anyone would get Chatterer automatically ;)

I'm adding Chatterer to every ship too :) It adds a lot to game's atmosphere. Kerbals floating in the great void on the outskirts of the Kerbol system seem less lonely when there is a burst of gibberish every now and then.

I think all it does is add ''nonsensical chatter'' i.e. play noise every now and then. Personally I love it :D Don't think it goes as deep as RemoteTech though.

Oh no I didn't want that this replaces RemoteTech. But maybe there is a way for this plugin to communicate with RemoteTech (if it is also installed) and ask for time delay value.

Fabian

xZise. I don't believe you correctly understand what this mod is/does.

This mod adds cute voices, (garblespeak) that simulate radio chatter between a spaceship crew and ground control. - it is just cute sounds,it in no way at all effects HOW you control your ship.

If used on an unmanned ship, you hear 'computer chirps' that represent a generic computer radio Ping. - it in no way at all effects HOW you control your ship.

you can have this mod, AND remotetech, nothing at all changes. each work as it would be expected to.

What he's asking for is instead of

<chatter>

random delay

<chatter>

He wants

<chatter>

Time delay value from Remote tech as if the reply was coming from Kerbin

<chatter>

Not that I'm saying it's needed, just point out all he's asking for is the delay to be more realistic.

oh, so you think that he belevies the Beep, or chatter, is in some way linked to a given command ?

it isn't.

it is on a user set timer - Eg. every 30 sec you hear a beep. giving the ship commands in no way 'causes' a beep. delayed or not.

or to word it another way:

1. you hear a beep every 30 seconds.

2. you hear a beep every 30 seconds. (but what you have no way to know is that the beep you hear was delayed 2 seconds due to radio delay. but since the previous beep was deleyed by 2 seconds, you still always hear it every 30 secs.)

Edited by Fyrem

oh, so you think that he belevies the Beep, or chatter, is in some way linked to a given command ?[…]

Ehr no. I completly understand that the chatter you hear is non sense but the messages needs to be transferred with the speed of light. So the answer can only come after the message was transferred to the other point and then the answer was transferred back.

I only said RemoteTech because KSP by default doesn't has any delay and as your commands need to be send through the satellites Chatterer's message should too. Of course only simulated.

Fabian

what "answer"? see, that is the point I am trying to make. Chatter isn't 'answering'... oh wait.... I see what you are trying to say.

Sometimes, you hear BOTH #groundControll# speak, immedently followed by "the spaceship" speaking....

you are asking for a delay to be put in BETWEEN those two events. a delay = 2x the remotetech radio delay.

I get it now:

player hears Ground control "hcnul rof tnaw uoy od tahw?"

[delay of remotetech x2]

player hears Spaceship "eyr no mah"

Edited by Fyrem
example