New modder asking for help and input

Blargeddy

Hey guys, I'm having all sorts of first times right now. First time on the forums so I want to say hey to everyone, and sorry if this thread is misplaced. I'm also trying my hand at modeling and texturing (using blender) and would appreciate some help and constructive criticism!

What I'm working on is a set of parts aimed at making modules for base/spacestation building. Mainly windowed walkways and living quarters. To start I've got a walkway module that I'm almost done with, but am in need of help with ironing out the kinks.

Here is the finished part:

walkwayshow_zps45d2d862.jpg?t=1366572366

Now in all honesty I know it's not that good but I'm proud of it. In any case I now arrive at the point where help is needed. I have a basic understanding of how the .cfg file works, but am having trouble with some parts of it.

First off, I would like my parts to be listed under the Structural tab in KSP, so in the CFG I have the category set as Structural as it should be(subcategory = 0 as well) but it shows up under the propulsion tab. I'm not sure why that is but would like some suggestions as to why that may be. Secondly I would like to set up the node_attach in the CFG so I can attach it to other parts correctly.

Here is what I have for the node_attach settings so far: node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 5.3, 0.0, 0.0, 1

The 5.3 setting is correct(references to the underside of the part) but when trying to place it this happens.

walkwayshow2_zps43ec5d5c.jpg?t=1366572368

So basically I'm asking which value in node_attach that I would use to have it rotated 180 degrees to attach it properly.

Although I'm specifically asking for help, if anyone could offer suggestions or constructive criticism I will gladly listen to your input. I originally intend these parts for personal use but if they are received well I could post them to the spaceport for everyone's use.

Other parts I intend to make:

A 4-directional connector hub with crew space and perhaps a crew hatch

Various adapters for 1 meter and 2 meter stock parts in KSP

A short, mostly windowed module to be used as an 'end cap' for the walkway or connector hub, possibly with a crew hatch

Welcome to the forums, the parts look nice :)

i would recommend looking at the wiki, its a tad outdated but it has stuff in there about attachment nodes and other documentation

Node_definations

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CFG_File_Documentation#Node_Definitions

Attachment Rules:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CFG_File_Documentation#Attachment_rules:

this is from my config file, perhaps this can help

// --- editor parameters ---
cost = 150
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = M.M.M Corridor5
manufacturer = Germalto
description = Originally cardboard boxes, these sections have been bent, taped and painted and re-purposed as off world living containers
// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,1

Here's a link to some of the stuff I've done, sounds like your doing something similar, perhaps it will give you a few ideas :

http://modularmagneticmodules.imgur.com/all/

any questions or queries, PM me if you want, I'm not an expert but i have a rough understanding of making parts :)

Thanks for the post. I had used the CFG pages you linked in creating my part file and I actually have your MMM mod from the spaceport. You did a nice job with it and those pictures of your assembled base are great too. If I may venture to say, I'm creating these parts because after trying your mod I found that I wanted something smaller and easier to use. It's a good mod but doesn't quite deliver what I personally need, as it is with mods in general it comes down to personal preference.

Anyways, I found a typo that was responsible for my part showing in the propulsion tab and fixed it. But I'm still having trouble with the angle values for the node_attach. I've tried values for the x angle and it seems any positive value will rotate it 90 degrees, and the opposite with any negative value. I need 180 degrees. Is it possible to rotate it that far?

Edited by Blargeddy

Ah, that was the one. TYVM sir :D

Also, is it possible to have multiple attach nodes in different locations, i.e. on 2 different sides?

Continued help is appreciated greatly, I feel like a noob right now.

Edited by Blargeddy

Im also toying with station modules as my project, which i started about 4 weeks ago. Ive change the parts so many times ive lost count :)

I can confirm that your able to get many attach nodes on 1 part. One of my previous part versions had eight attach nodes, four on top and four on the bottom. I just had node_attach_top, node_attach_toptop, node_attach_topleft and node_attach_topright. Then similar for the bottom.

Edited by Adie123

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.