Kerbal Veterans Section :)

Supergamervictor

Ahhh the good old days. Is it just me or did the RCS thrusters look better back then? I didn't start playing until .10.something or .11 as I was on a mac. I remember getting into orbit involved going straight up until 500-600m/s then wrestling with the ship to get it going straight sideways until you missed the ground. And when the mun came out? Oh man, I must have smashed a hundred rockets into it trying to land on those stupid fins that would always twist and break my engine. Remember before maneuver nodes and you had to wait until the mun came up over (or slip past, depending on your orbit) the horizon before burning so you could get your transfer orbit? Those new guys have no idea how easy they have it, demanding autopilots and complaining that their 5 billion part ship with their landing legs needs more gadgets! In my day we didn't have landing legs! Or working symmetry half the time! I remember having to carefully place each fin as low as it would go, and trying to get them as even as possible because symmetry was borked... I must have spent half an hour building the 'perfect' lander, only to lose my engine because I landed 1 or 2m/s faster than I should have or the fins just weren't low enough! And planets! Why, in my day, we dreamed of having planets! We were lucky we had a moon! And when we flew, we flew uphill! Both ways!

Ahhh, the good old days: when Manley Mode was the Only Mode.

Edited by Scoundrel
grammar

0.9 here, whew is this thread a blast from the past. I remember doing the original Mun EVA back in 0.12. Was gud. Except they were permanently stranded.

I remember the first time I played, looking through a table of calculations and building a replica ship from a YouTube tutorial. I got it to... 800,000m?

I too remember the times without map view... in particular one challenge which involved placing some kind of satellite in 150km circular orbit, +-250m. I literally tried for hours to get into that orbit. Mostly because without maneuver nodes you could only make corrections at AP an PE and there was no time warp. So fine tuning an orbit worked like this: wait 15 min, burn a little bit, wait 15 min burn some more, PE turns out 50m to low repeat...

The challenge also called for you to closely follow the released satellite around the planet for one orbit to verify the orbit it was placed in. I never managed to complete that assignment.

Some time after that the mun was put up. Took us some crazy rockets to get that thing up there. :)

Later, when time warp was announced, someone bitterly complained on the Dev-Board that this feature would absolutely break every and all immersion and should not be implemented. It was a quite lengthy discussion...

Imagine to fly to Jool without time-warp. Bonkers!

Ahhh the good old days. Is it just me or did the RCS thrusters look better back then? I didn't start playing until .10.something or .11 as I was on a mac. I remember getting into orbit involved going straight up until 500-600m/s then wrestling with the ship to get it going straight sideways until you missed the ground. And when the mun came out? Oh man, I must have smashed a hundred rockets into it trying to land on those stupid fins that would always twist and break my engine. Remember before maneuver nodes and you had to wait until the mun came up over (or slip past, depending on your orbit) the horizon before burning so you could get your transfer orbit? Those new guys have no idea how easy they have it, demanding autopilots and complaining that their 5 billion part ship with their landing legs needs more gadgets! In my day we didn't have landing legs! Or working symmetry half the time! I remember having to carefully place each fin as low as it would go, and trying to get them as even as possible because symmetry was borked... I must have spent half an hour building the 'perfect' lander, only to lose my engine because I landed 1 or 2m/s faster than I should have or the fins just weren't low enough! And planets! Why, in my day, we dreamed of having planets! We were lucky we had a moon! And when we flew, we flew uphill! Both ways!

Ahhh, the good old days: when Manley Mode was the Only Mode.

Ah those old days when physics weren't really strict so you could build crazy rockets and they will still work.I actually still do the classic mun shoot but it always doesn't work sometimes.I did lots of crazy things like making a complete .13 cracked space station mod rocket where it went to orbit and stayed there for a long time.Landing on fins were so hard but I manage to land my first ship and forgot how to go back :P

Anyone remember Silisko's Probodobodyne and BACE? Those were good, I wish more parts from those were implemented when he became a dev. My other must-have mod packs back in 0.12 were White Monkey Kitchenware & Spacecraft, and Down Under. It's really too bad White Monkey didn't survive until 0.16, because it was textured beautifully and already had an EVA hatch. I remember making my very first Mun landing in a Luna spacecraft from DU, it was a horribly inefficient trajectory, I just waited until it was right overhead and burned straight up. I also miss the Bigtrak mod, I remember when Minmus was first released I had a great time bouncing across it in my trusty LilTrak.

OMGosh, remember .... remember that one time! Ya, that one time! Dang it was soooo cool!

You all act like the game is 10 years old. XD It's still in alpha. You have any idea how silly it sounds to call yourselves vets in an alpha game? Even worse is, everyone here is going to be a vet either way since it's so early in development stages. Even if someone joins around version 0.8.2, once version 1.0.0 comes out, they would be considered a vet. Actually I do have to ask, how are the requirements "made up?" How long do you have to play a game before you get the vet title? Does this mean I can become a vet tomorrow!? o.o

Course, I am just messing with you all. :3

What makes a vet? I'll tell you.

HUNDREDS of hours invested in a game with no real goal, save for the personal satisfaction of successfully reaching orbit, and then landing on other worlds and moons.

We're talking about a game still in its infancy here, and yet people are still completely enraptured by it. A game with no stats, no loot, not even a finish line, and yet we take screenshots, take videos and share them with craft files and mods with the world, just to share the excitement of it all. And it works.

By Jeb, it works.

I recently re-downloaded the version I started on (somwhere between 0.7 and 0.9 I'm not sure). Man that was so much more difficult. I remember the only way to build space stations was to change the command pod into a space station, stick it on top of a rocket and hope you get it into a stable orbit. Then you sit back, feel good about yourself for 30 seconds and press the end flight button.

Actually I do have to ask, how are the requirements "made up?" How long do you have to play a game before you get the vet title?

I lean towards picking something from *really early* in development whenever someone creates or bumps these threads. Sadly I joined in 0.8.4, so I can't do it perfectly. (eg: 0.7.3 -- no vertical stacking of fuel. 0.8 -- no symmetry)

Ya I know what? I'm sick if you kids who think yer so tough! I rememb'a when gett'in yoself into orbiz was such an achievementz. I rememb'a los'in Jeb to da Dark Sidez of Kerb'n! I rememb'a that Deep Space Squidee! I rememb'a when tere was no mun!

We haz no fancy nodes or anythin, we haz it rough!

So git yer interplanetary mechjes stuff offa ma lawn before I deorb' the thin' to da dark side!

*waves booster*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.