Rubber Band Inc: Caterpillar tracks.

electronicfox

It would be pretty hard to break a track, would be more likely to have it become detracted and must be fixed in EVA. Something that would bottom out enough of the wheels to make them loose - enough to break 2-4 wheels on a rover in one impact.

They should correspondingly be as heavy as 2-3 wheels. They don't need to be faster as long as they are smoother and more stable and safer, however they should lose more speed in sharper turns (not too dramatic for course corrections), but turn faster/tighter.

They should probably do 2E/s at full power, and accelerate a little slower than rover wheels.

I would expect all the complicated mechanisms to not be very light weight - Just looked it up Mattracks for light duty trucks, a system of 4 tracks for 4 ton vehicle weights 0.75 tons, about 0.18 tons per track section (2.5 times a rover week). I think that is reasonable, trading 8 rover wheels for quad tracks for 2 long tracks.

Edited by Read have Read

Hrrm...

How about an "inverted" version of the \__/, for example, /__\

TECHNICALLY that design is worse, but where it loses out in suspension, it gains in traction...or whatever it is you call "sticking to" in kerbal.

As it stands with it's current suspension setting, you can't freely flip the first textured design.

That being said, I can't wait to see what you do with this!

The tracks will now turn on the spot (so long as you don't make an unreasonably long and narrow craft).

Electronixfox, can you give us a status update please?

odd_jaffa_cake_box.png

tumblr_lwij6bzK4Y1r8q0iuo1_500.png

as for progress, endlesswaves has been worrking on the mirroring in the SPH so we don't end up with reversed tracks all the time, it's nearly there aside from some odd graphical quirks. I'm putting together a set for larger vehicles today, and a set for small probular rovers.

once these are all implemented into the game and balanced out, they will be released as the first track pack.

Edited by electronicfox

Heres a bit of a preview of the larger track set for you folk.

A special prize* to the first person to guess what the set is heavilly based upon.

cap1.JPG

cap2.JPG

For scale reference, those are dual 1-m attachment areas at the front and back, this set is made for rather large builds.

*Special prize is fictional, all you get is a slim feeling of having accomplished something.

Wooah, dont know much about tanks but that looks wicked!

Have you tested uit on the moon ?=) If you driver over a small object, can that get stuck in the threads or how is that handled ? Thanks for keeping posting screens and info =)

I don't know jack about tanks either :P but everything in this thread is looking amazing, great job to the both of you and I can't wait to try these things :D

Also, I can't wait to use the treads to give something like this a go @_@

futuristic-tank.jpg

Heres a bit of a preview of the larger track set for you folk.

A special prize* to the first person to guess what the set is heavilly based upon.

cap1.JPG

cap2.JPG

For scale reference, those are dual 1-m attachment areas at the front and back, this set is made for rather large builds.

*Special prize is fictional, all you get is a slim feeling of having accomplished something.

Are they inspired by the panzer 6 "Tiger" ?

Edited by CJagd
wrong number

Nope, I'll give you a hint:

Its been mentioned on this thread a couple times already, and its fictional.

Haven't read the thread, but they remind me of the Thunderbirds, actually. The platform the Mole drove in on when it came out of Thunderbird 2?

Nope, I'll give you a hint:

Its been mentioned on this thread a couple times already, and its fictional.

Thunderbird's tracked vehicle (Mole , firefly and recovery vehicle) they all have the same track and wheel set

Are they inspired by the panzer 6 "Tiger" ?

The tracks on a tiger tank are completely different design. The Tiger I has 16 torsion bars with arms 8 per side. Per arm, there were three road wheel in an interleaved arrangement. The Tiger II has two more torsion bars having 9 arms per side.

Tiger I

1280px-Tiger_I_2_Bovington.jpg

Edited by Itsdavyjones
typos

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.