Time to 10k altitude

10k is the magic number on kerbin, air resistance drops off after this and you can really get going.

Jeb has other ideas he want's to go NOW!!! See how fast you can get him too 10k meters.

Rules are as follows

1. All stock parts
  2. Must have 1 kerbal aboard (if jeb is not around that is fine)
  3. Must return kerbal to the ground in one piece
  4. Bonus kudos for air shock / flame effect pictures

To enter submit 3 pictures

1. On the Pad
  2. Reaching 10k
  3. Safely on the ground

Stock

1.Ultrasparagus (Ninety-Three) 19 sec

2.klustering (Kergal) 24 sec

3.UP1 (drakesdoom) 27 sec

4.simple logic (nuker132) 28 sec

Far

1."all the RT-10s" (foamyesque) 19sec

My quick entry UP1

I used 7 Rocomax 32 tanks with main sails and 18 small boosters with a 1 man pod with stack separator and chute. I know it can be done faster because I still had fuel up to about 15k so same vessel with 25% smaller liquid tanks could cut a few seconds out.

On the Pad (I forgot to take this one and when I put the craft back on the pad it had bill in it)

20hx4bc.png

Passing 10k at 27 sec

59zey9.png

On Fire

2899dhi.png

Back on the ground

25rpkc1.png

Edited by drakesdoom
adding scores

Like the older race to 100km, I took a "all the RT-10s" approach. Didn't make it anywhere near as large as I used to, 'cause I wanted to do something quick and easy. :D I suspect red radials may be better these days. Not sure about how to stack them, though.

I use FAR. Stock KSP would likely be slower.

KSP%20-%20Small%20drag%20racer.png

KSP%20-%2010km.png

KSP%20-%20Going%20up.png

KSP%20-%20Its%20raining%20nosecones.png

1/3 improvement very nice. I have added a far category since at this low altitude I think it will matter significantly.

I may be wrong but I predict the fastest time to be taken by a large mainsail array tuned to burn out at 10k altitude thus maximizing thrust while minimizing unspent fuel weight.

How did you land?

1/3 improvement very nice. I have added a far category since at this low altitude I think it will matter significantly.

I may be wrong but I predict the fastest time to be taken by a large mainsail array tuned to burn out at 10k altitude thus maximizing thrust while minimizing unspent fuel weight.

How did you land?

Crumple zone. :D

I think I've found the optimal strategy. Mainsails have the highest TWR.

Ultrasparagus.png

Because only about 0.1% (actual figure) of the mass isn't an engine-fuel component, when we stage out on this thing, TWR stays constant. So this is a craft that, as long as it has stages to spare, maintains a constant TWR of Mainsail/10 tons. A more patient engineer than I could switch in smaller fuel tanks and more stages, probably shaving off an extra second or two.

19s.png

Nineteen seconds.

Fire.png

I missed a great shot of the lower stage on fire, so this is all I have.

Safe.png

Parachuting safely to the ground.

Edit: For the record, the name of the ship was the Ultrasparagus.

Edited by Ninety-Three

My entry. Using simple logic (and stupidity) I just decided to stick a few mainsails and LV-T30's on and see what would happen and I got this!

6bompLD.jpg

It's kinda hard to see but there is some air-shock there,

iQv0zAu.jpg

Reaching 10,000 m,

M8Kn0ym.jpg

Some Atmospheric flame (and a Flame-out too!)

fZGecwl.jpg

and finally landing.

kxa5frP.png

Didn't use any proper math or plan, total time to get to 10,000 m was 28 seconds. also Ninety-Three got 19 seconds! you gonna update the leader-boards?

Hellooo!

Great challenge!

I've been trying out different types of rockets for the last 3 hours now and have manage to squeese the time to 10k at 24 seconds.

Mine as you can se is a small 1 man capsule, parachute and ASAS with a 6-mainsail cluster under 4 x200-32 and one x200-16 tank generating 9mN of thrust:

It is a stock try, but mechjeb was bolted on to get some stats and to keep Jebediah from talking to himself.

gHs2xqT.png

Also it steams up a bit when it reaches its top speed. As you can see Jeb thinks this is very pretty:

otmRWad.png

1b6ZInx.png

24 seconds BABY!

DVPAxVE.png

Jebediah safely back at KSP and unusually there is just a short walk back to the launchpad for another go!

"What a ride! Lets go again!" - says Astronaut and hero Jebediah Kerman.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.