Are you Religious?

ramses

Are you religious  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you religious

• Yes
    • No

Science and religion rarely go together ( I am quite aware that some are comfortable with both), so I'm curious to see with KSP being basically a science based game, and the forums having a science section, what percentage of players have religious beliefs.

Personally I am not. Please keep it clean guys.

If this belongs in Off topic, please move.

Religion kinda, to me, signifies belief without need for a proof. I could write essays on my religious views (which tend to be a bit off-the-beaten path). But if you want to reconcile religion and science, I say look at all those subatomic particles: They work in some way, and form the building blocks of everything in our universe. But why do they work the way they do? Ultimately, I think a higher power (God, Buddha, Jehova, What have you) is responsible for the design of how the universe works, and then has let the universe take its course. Deism in a way, I guess.

Thanks for an interesting post, OP. Especially on the internet, a hive of atheism, both militant and accepting

I think this could be a really cool survey as long as enough people see it and it doesn't turn into a flame war of, most likely considering we're on the internet (although not reddit), bashing religion, specifically Christianity. I personally am religious (Episcopalian (Christian sect (American version of the Church of England / Anglican Church))), and I would be very interested to see the community as a whole's answer to this.

Thanks for bringing this up ramses!

Cheers,

PIRATE

...I personally am religious ..., and I would be very interested to see the community as a whole's answer to this.

Thanks for bringing this up ramses!

Glad to see Im not the only one. In my social circles I sometimes feel like a minority. What are the numbers like now in the US and elsewhere? Are there more avowed atheists or unsure people than there are religious yet? I feel the shift is likely to happen in Western countries soonish

I could write essays on my religious views (which tend to be a bit off-the-beaten path). But if you want to reconcile religion and science, I say look at all those subatomic particles: They work in some way, and form the building blocks of everything in our universe. But why do they work the way they do? Ultimately, I think a higher power (God, Buddha, Jehova, What have you) is responsible for the design of how the universe works, and then has let the universe take its course. Deism in a way, I guess.

This. Given the way in which certain mathematical concepts pop up where we least expect them (i'm looking at you ̉ۢ) I strongly suspect that not only is there is an intellect involved in the formation of it's laws but that this intellect is a mathematician.

God_applying_compass_ancient_of_days_380x298.jpg

It's also entirely possible that we are little more then an amazingly complex version of SimCity.

Edited by That guy who builds stuff

Through science, one cannot say God doesn't exist because there is no scientific proof to support that claim. By the same token, there is no scientific proof to his/it/her existence. As someone who feels science has all the answers I would not be able to completely dismiss the idea of a god with out proof of no such being. I just feel that it is highly unlikely and us believing in a God or having the belief that a God will save us from our problems and eternal damnation is no different than ancient Vikings yelling at the Wolf god because it had swallowed the Sun (an event we now know as an eclipse, not a god swallowing the sun and then spitting it back out because we yelled at it).

Sorry if i have offended anyone.

It's also entirely possible that we are little more then an amazingly complex version of SimCity.

We might (It could just be a matrix thing), but this is going into the depths on what reality actually is. Let's just say that cheeze is delicious and make that a proven fact.

I'm not religious simply because believing things without evidence is silly.

Also, why is Yahweh the one true God? How do you know that a bearded man in the sky created the universe instead of a sarcastic shade of yellow? There is no proof for either.

Religion was invented to explain things we couldn't explain. I see no need to have Religions in a time where we know the real answers trough real Science. And BossSquirrelz is right, it gets in the way of science.

There is so much that science cannot explain (beyond theories) such as creation, laws of space, laws of time, laws of matter, complexity of (design) of plants, animals, ecosystems etc.

EDIT: When I mention the "laws of", I am referring to the origin of these laws not the known parameters of the laws themselves.

Edited by wolfedg

There is so much that science cannot explain (beyond theories) such as creation, laws of space, laws of time, laws of matter, complexity of (design) of plants, animals, ecosystems etc.
Plants and animals aren't "designed". They are shaped by the environment they live in. This is called Evolution. The use of Theories in sciences is different than Theories in every day live Edited by Canopus

Plants and animals aren't "designed". They are shaped by the environment they live in. This is called Evolution.

Despite what you may have been taught, evolution is still a theory. One with many holes that evolutionists like to ignore. Also that is why I put it in brackets as I expected some would not agree with it.

Plants and animals aren't "designed". They are shaped by the environment they live in. This is called Evolution.

And the environment is bound by chemical reactions, which is bound by the properties of subatomic particles, which are bound by the laws of physics, which come from... we have no idea.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that a bearded man in the sky is welding zebras together in his garage

I'm not religious simply because believing things without evidence is silly.

Also, why is Yahweh the one true God? How do you know that a bearded man in the sky created the universe instead of a sarcastic shade of yellow? There is no proof for either.

>all powerful being

>bound to a single form

Edited by That guy who builds stuff

Despite what you may have been taught, evolution is still a theory. One with many holes that evolutionists like to ignore. Also that is why I put it in brackets as I expected some would not agree with it.
There is difference between Theories and Scientific Theories. I can't believe that some people still deny Evolution.

NamosWarningSignSmall.gif WARNING: THREAD DERAILMENT IMMINENT! NamosWarningSignSmall.gif

Everyone is only asked if they're religious or otherwise, and not how authentic science and religion is.

Back on topic: Not really. I consider myself as a Christian, but not the one that only depends on prayer and not doing anything about it. Also I'm not the type who worships images and the type that considers church attendance as important.

There is difference between Theories and Scientific Theories. I can't believe that some people still deny Evolution.

I could point you to several sources of research that effectively disprove evolution, but I'd wager like most others you would dismiss it without even considering looking at it.

I could point you to several sources of research that effectively disprove evolution, but I'd wager like most others you would dismiss it without even considering looking at it.
Yeah i'd like to see that sources:D but i'm going to stop now because i don't wan't this thread to be closed.