[20/11/2014][0.25] FTmN Atomic Rockets

Kommitz

If I may recomend a suggestion for your next brilliant engine design, how about the nuclear lightbulb engine? It is a clean nuclear engine, with 3000 ISP at sea level and around 4000 or so in vacuum.

And if he does have the inclination, he knows there are some reference images here

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#id--Nuclear_Thermal--Gas_Core--Closed_Cycle

Hmm, I have them loaded correctly in my folders but they refuse to show up ingame. I am a mod junkie so maybe there is a conflict of some sort.

There's no way they could conflict with anything.

Bear in mind that in the engines & fuel tab they're covered by their fairings and you might be mistaking them for fuel tanks. It's an issue I've been meaning to fix.

There's no way they could conflict with anything.

Bear in mind that in the engines & fuel tab they're covered by their fairings and you might be mistaking them for fuel tanks. It's an issue I've been meaning to fix.

Ahh, I shall look into this right now. Thanks.

Guys just add "PART{ . . . }" around the existing cfg and its good to go.

I tried this, but they still don't appear at all... Tried dropping it in with the new file system, dropping the parts in the old way, and a number of other unconventional means... (Not all at once, of course) anything I could be doing wrong? Or is this a botched solution? Either way, this thread has been very quiet...

Make sure the cfg's are edited like so and the files are in "GameData". It does not matter where in the "GameData" folder they are located but for ease of use I created a "Nucleonics NTR" folder in gamedata to put them under. ALL PARTS IN GAME DATA MUST HAVE PART WRAPPERS or the game will not recognize them. Parts located in the legacy folders do not require "PART{ ...}" wrappers afaiu. :)

PART
{
name = 1mNTR1
module = Part
author = Kommit

mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.950000, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.425000, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

fx_exhaustFlame_blue_small = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustLight_blue = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, running
fx_smokeTrail_light = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running

sound_vent_medium = engage
sound_rocket_hard = running
sound_vent_soft = disengage
sound_explosion_low = flameout

cost = 2000
category = Propulsion
subcategory = 0
title = FTmN 40 NTR
manufacturer = Nucleonics Ltd.
description = The miteyest of the FTmN series. Useful for smaller craft where the weight savings can make a large difference.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0

mass = 1.5
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 7
maxTemp = 4000

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngines
thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 40
fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.1
heatProduction = 600
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 0.9
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Oxidizer
ratio = 1.1
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0.0 740 0 0
key = 0.1 380 0 0
key = 1.0 240 0 0
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGimbal
gimbalTransformName = reactorgimbal
gimbalRange = 0.8
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleJettison
jettisonName = fairing
bottomNodeName = bottom
isFairing = True
jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
jettisonForce = 1
jettisonDirection = -1 0 0

}

MODULE
{

name = ModuleAnimateHeat
ThermalAnim = smallNuke
}}

I'll fix the config files later today, mostly for the sake of new downloads.

Also I'm working on some new bits and am hoping to release a fuel tank & rocket set sometime soon (protip: check my sig for previews), possibly with considerations for seperate propellant for nuclear engines.

Those new engines look amazing, though i kinda like spherical ones - they look fresh, advanced and unique compared to stock parts. Separate propellant is good idea too. I have a feeling stock NERVAs will run on blutonium or its derivative when resources arrive, then you could switch your engines to blutonium and keep flying :D

I'll fix the config files later today, mostly for the sake of new downloads.

Also I'm working on some new bits and am hoping to release a fuel tank & rocket set sometime soon (protip: check my sig for previews), possibly with considerations for seperate propellant for nuclear engines.

Ooh, a whole tanks and engines parts pack? I'm looking foreward to that! Great to see you're up to filling the void left after some of the modders who made the good polished parts packs went MIA since the forum crash, and alot of good packs aren't getting updated for a while now... ^^;

Gonna be watching for this for sure, always refreshing when you open up a fresh download of rocketry, good sir, and you have quality models that will undoubtedly please. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just chiming in to say how much I love these engines for large-scale interplanetary stuff. I've been looking for a part like this for quite some time!

Here are four of them on a mining freighter: qHlnHxg.jpg

Thanks all!

I've just uploaded a new pack of things to spaceport, mostly fuel tanks and an engine that I've been posting in my WIP thread for ages. I'll be uploading the rest of the engines and a few more tanks soon. Engines are basically re-designs of the FATMAN ones for the most part, but now made with fat cylinders rather than spheres. So it's mostly just down to what you prefer the looks of.

Nucleonics Stock Compatible Parts

Check the first post for more info.

Excellent. Are you working on any new engines? Nuclear Lightbulb perhaps? :)

Perhaps. I've got ideas for other nuclear engine types first though.

Cool, any updates to the fatmans on the horizon??

I'll probably get around to re-texturing them soon, as I'm doing a lot of texture work right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.